Ultimate MOD Database at cm.cozog.com !!!

Hey COG, super site, really like it. I'm curious about the scripting language that you used to write it...particular, what scripting language did you use to write it? smile.gif

I don't recognize the .nsf extension, but I do see a reference to Lotus Domino Notes in your source.

I really like it what ever it is, very fast.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey COG, super site, really like it. I'm curious about the scripting language that you used to write it...particular, what scripting language did you use to write it?

I don't recognize the .nsf extension, but I do see a reference to Lotus Domino Notes in your source.

I really like it what ever it is, very fast.

It's called Lotus Notes Domino. It's a groupware program that has it's own proprietary language that can be used to create applications like this one. It's also how I make my living. ;) I've been working with Notes for 8+ years. It's the best way for a business, small or large, to create a web portal that allows for cheap two-way data transfer. You can do the same thing with SQLServer and Oracle, but it'll cost 20x as much. I built this website in about 6 hours. If I were to try and replicate that with MS or Oracle, it would easily be over 100 hours.

(Shameless plug)

If anyone out there is interested, drop me a line at cozog@cozog.com. I do consulting on the side for very reasonable rates. You see what I can do in 6 hours, just think what you could get with a couples weeks worth of time.

Thanks.

COG

-- Bump --

Well, well, well. This site is still up and running and I'm sure its been visited by many MOD Sluts sucking out of it as much as they can.

So far, the bandwidth story has not been told. There is hope.

Hope this site sticks around. When it really gets populated, just how much bandwidth per week is available? Seems quite capable so far.

Excellent job on the database and letting MOD authors input themselves. Brilliant. Just what the doctor ordered.

Hey ColumbusOHGamer!

Is the site limited to number of connections and total bandwidth? I'm visiting now and tried a download and its crawling at 1.5 Kbytes per second, and that ain't fast enough to be considered a crawl.

Its not just downloads, took forever to load the database pages as well. I'm going to consider its site rush hour and try again late tonight. Hope someone isn't turning down the spigot...

I've got a 1.5M/384k cable connection and you guys have maxed it out! ;)

Seriously though, my server kicks a$$ (1.8GHtz, 512MB RAM, Linux), but the connection has been jacked up like this since yesterday. It's not because of anything wrong, there's just so many sluts trying to d/l from my site that it's starting to have problems.

Not much I can do about it. It is a free service after all.... ;)

COG

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

You can do the same thing with SQLServer and Oracle

YOu could also make it with MySQL and PHP scripting, which is quite cheap even on a MS platform (for Linux, you could use PostgreSQL and PHP, dirt cheap). Developement tools for those might be not as user-friendly, though.

OK, so just out of curiosity, I ran several speed tests this morning. I have a 1500k/384k line.

Here's the ranges:

Upload: 920-400

Dnload: 200-93

My suggestion is try to d/l early (before 9am, 7am is better) on the weekend before the west coast and the adolescents are awake yet. Or maybe REALLY late at night. Thanks.

COG

P.S. Off to work now!

Question for the CM Mod Database users:

Would you care if I removed the pictures from the views, but still kept them in the individual mod documents?

I'm trying to come up with ways to reduce the over head to get better throughput numbers and d/l times. It's the best thing I can think of since they are the only graphics on the website.

Also, look for a d/l stats page coming soon. Maybe early next week.

COG

Originally posted by MrNoobie:

[QB]i dont know if its possible but can you have it that i can upload an updated zip file over the old one? id like to change a few things in the future like add a new slogans or new numbers. i hope thats not asking to much

In the interest of conserving bandwidth, perhaps put new slogans/numbers in a seperate zip? That way the entire mod wouldn't have to be re-downloaded. And if all you do is add some slogans/numbers then your mods might be needlessly re-downloaded by those still satisfied with the origionals, but otherwise on the hunt for MrNoobie goodies.

For me COG I'd prefer if you kept those pictures of the mod. I think people (especially 56k'ers) like to know what they are getting before starting the download.

Perhaps you can shrink them or degrade the JPG a bit more if you're running into problems?

I'm still keeping the mod preview pics in the individual mod docs. I meant that I would only remove the pictures from the views. It might actually benefit the 56k crowd as they wouldn't be loading the pictures in the views, which could take time to load.

COG

In the interest of conserving bandwidth, perhaps put new slogans/numbers in a seperate zip? That way the entire mod wouldn't have to be re-downloaded. And if all you do is add some slogans/numbers then your mods might be needlessly re-downloaded by those still satisfied with the origionals, but otherwise on the hunt for MrNoobie goodies.

That is an excellent idea. Mr.Noobie, did you read this?

COG

I say remove the preview pic from the category listing. The image is obviously the full size image as it takes forever to load, and that's putting out a lot of extra bandwidth.

I would just put a link to the preview pic instead, so that if I think I might be interested in a mod, I can click on the link to preview the image instead of having to wait for all of the previews to load at once.

This would make browsing through all the categories much quicker and should significantly reduce the amount of B/W that's going out.

I would just put a link to the preview pic instead, so that if I think I might be interested in a mod, I can click on the link to preview the image instead of having to wait for all of the previews to load at once.
i agree with GJK, i suspect im the cause of the slowness with those pics, the size of the pics i post are 700 by XXX, its a good size so you can see whats on the mod or not

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

Question for the CM Mod Database users:

Would you care if I removed the pictures from the views, but still kept them in the individual mod documents?

I'm trying to come up with ways to reduce the over head to get better throughput numbers and d/l times. It's the best thing I can think of since they are the only graphics on the website.

Also, look for a d/l stats page coming soon. Maybe early next week.

COG

I don't think anyone would care that much (it's free after all) :rolleyes:

Last time I was on the site I was thinking a d/l stat would be good so you could see what's hot! keep up the good work!