Stavelot- at the Depot!

This is my stab at the the 1st SS Division's romp through the Ardennes. Map looks very nice w/ the BOB mod.

High drama and nice toys to play with...

Get it now- Scenario Depot

Title- Stavelot

Type- German Attack vs. USA

Date- Dec.20, 1944

Location- Ardennes Forest, Belgium

Weather- Overcast

Terrain- Light Snow

Turns- 30

Made for 2 player or German vs. AI +1

Description-

'Wacht am Rhein' Hitler's desperate gamble to split the allied forces hinged on reaching the Meuse quickly, before reserves and air power could be brought to bear.

Once again the German panzers would strike through the Ardennes, the weakest point in the American front, taking advantage of the rugged terrain.

After quickly destroying the initial American defenses along the border the 1st SS Corps raced to reach the Meuse and the massive supply depot at Liege.

By December 18th, Pieper's 1st SS Division drive west along the Ambleve Valley had stalled at Stoumont, under increasing American resistance.

Piper's Kampfgruppe was low on fuel, food and ammo.

On the 19th elements of the US 30th Division moved into the Ambleve Valley, occupying the town of Stavelot, effectively isolating Pieper's spearhead.

On the 20th of December an attempt was made to carve a supply route to Pieper's lead elements.

[ August 04, 2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Flammenwerfer ]

• 1 month later...

I am in the middle of the scenario now, too bad I have to work for a living and I cant spend all my time playing. Playing as Germans against AI, looks really good, I love the map. Did the Americans have that much armor there during the real battle? I know a tough division moved into Stavelot after Peipers initial run through the town. What a surprise!! :cool:

Nidan-

IIRC the SS made 3 attempts to clear Stavelot(Dec.20-22). Never happened...and Pieper had to abandon his armor and scurry back to the German lines....

I don't believe the US had that much armor to start, but for scen. playability it's needed...

[ August 05, 2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Flammenwerfer ]