FFOW or EFOW ?

FEBA

I don't understand the labeling of the 'fog of war' settings in CMBB. Full implies just that, full fog of war. To me then, 'extreme' implies beyond 'full' or into an unrealistic level. Is extreme intended for those who want more fog of war than is realistic because they like a challenge or is it closer to reality ?

I want to play my games as close to reality as possible and am wondering which setting is appropriate.

I tried a forum search, but was unable to find a topic discussing this. Also, this question may be answered in the CMBB manual, which, if I am lucky, arrives today.

EFOW, among other things means that when an enemy unit gets its head down in the dirt for a while, while in good cover, darkness, you name it, it may dissappear from view, without it needing to move away, leaving a generic marker. How's about that?

EFOW also means that when such a unit dissapears from view it can actually mean it's eliminated. But you'll have to literally go and look for bodies to be really, really sure. smile.gif

EFOW means you have to be terribly, terribly carefull.

[ September 23, 2002, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Juju ]

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

And there is Excessive FOW : you don't even identify YOUR units :eek: ! THAT would be realistic ! :D

There's a (board) wargame I used to own - I can't remember the name of it - that was in July '41 around Smolensk. The Russian player had to set up his counters (I think they were divisions) upside down and couldn't look at them until they were in combat. I think that this was supposed to simulate both the confusion at that time of the war as well as the fact that the Russians really didn't know which units were good and which were not until after they had fought. It was a lot of fun.

Originally posted by FEBA:

I don't understand the labeling of the 'fog of war' settings in CMBB. Full implies just that, full fog of war. To me then, 'extreme' implies beyond 'full' or into an unrealistic level. Is extreme intended for those who want more fog of war than is realistic because they like a challenge or is it closer to reality ?

I want to play my games as close to reality as possible and am wondering which setting is appropriate.

I tried a forum search, but was unable to find a topic discussing this. Also, this question may be answered in the CMBB manual, which, if I am lucky, arrives today.

JUST play the Demo and play only EFOW.

I would guess most of the serious players here will only play TCP/IP or PBEM games in EFOW.

It will be the only setting I use for playing against humans.

you can see the differences between EFOW and FFOW in the demo I think.

EFOW should be the new standard for realism IMHO smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by Broken!:

The game was Panzergroup Guderian, if I recall.

Great game! Some units had a zero combat value and were removed from play when attacked. The russian player always dreaded seeing his line crack wide open when a portion that looked solid was in fact a paper tiger. Also, once adjacent to the enemy, it was hard to disengage. Both of those features combined to encourage a defense in depth and maintenance of a reserve to plug holes. On the other hand, every once in a while a super division would be revealed and the german panzers would take a beating.

Originally posted by FEBA:

Apparently the 'Extreme' Fog of War setting involves attaching some kind of board to your feet, a certain amount of body piercing and odd haircuts. I'm a little afraid to use this setting given the number of accidents and jailings it apparently caused amongst the Beta Testers...

Apparently the 'Extreme' Fog of War setting involves attaching some kind of board to your feet, a certain amount of body piercing and odd haircuts. I'm a little afraid to use this setting given the number of accidents and jailings it apparently caused amongst the Beta Testers...

LOL...the troops yelling, "It's like oohrah, Dude" would be very distressing.

BDH