Spanish Civil War

I too had had that thought when the original CM came out.

I'm just finishing up a Nov 42 Italian scenario, "Savoia counter-attack". I think A Spanish Civil War battle would be interesting. Unfortunately at this moment I don't have any info on a tactical level OOB/situation suitable for "scenario'ing". Would a fictional one be ok?

Meeting engagement between two mechanized columns somewhere in Aragon? Perhaps a classic over a bridge? As Madrid is placed under seige?

I'd also (in the future) like to do one using the Lincoln Brigades.

Hans

A quick review of the Spanish Civil war turns up a number of interesting scenarios. However tank on tank is not one of them.

Please correct me on this

But the Italians and Germans do not appear to have sent cannon armed tanks to Spain. The Soviets sent a number of T-26, BT-5 and a few BA-3. They did sent ATGs and the Germans trained up over thirty AT companies.

I suggest a republication tank/infantry assault against one of nationalist strongholds around Madrid in '38.

Living near Barcelona i know quite well Ebre (Ebro) battlefield. In fact I've been there a lot of times in the still standing trenches. Several years ago I did a study about this battle, the largest in the Civil War, for the school.

I could tell you that if you want to simulate the scenery of Ebre near towns like Gandesa, Corbera or Vilalba dels Arcs (major combat areas in the battle), it should be quite hilly, with intersected and quite small orchards and weat. In the top of hills always put a wood. Few houses, and grouped in big crowded villages. Near Gandesa must be more flat and with bigger weat fields. Here was a combat for a road south of Gandesa wich could be interesting for all who wants to use the 88. 9 republican T-26, with some infantry and mortar suport attacked a small nationalist hill, bombed for a few days. But at their right flank the Legion Condor deployed some (dont know exact numbers but 2 to 4)AA 88cm guns. You can imagine the result. :(

If I find some Ebre 1938 pics I will try to put it here to show you the kind of battlefields.

Most usual vehicles in the Sp C.W. where FA-1, BA-3, BA-6, T-26B, CV-33, Pz-Ia, FT-17, and a lot of home-made battle trucks! :rolleyes:

Also I will find info about first T-26 battle in october 36, in Seseña (south Madrid). 14 T-26 assaulted 2 towns and 3 where lost without any ground gained.

I have read that in a battle for a villige or town? that the german Pz1's tride to storke the three defending T-26's to get in close and ingage them with flamme frowers :confused:

The T-26's just wated for the panzers to get close then they naelid them tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Ps The T-26's won...LoL :D

Originally posted by IronChef4:

How about a fictional scenario based on the Republican ambush on a nationalist convoy from Hemmingway's FAREWELL TO ARMS?

I thought Farewell to Arms was about WWI in Italy. You mayhaps are referring to Ernie's "To whom the bells toll" (or somefink).

Chief Trois, I have two Spanish Civil War scenarios I can convert from Critical Hit battles. I will work on them tonight and should have them done by Saturday.

One is around Villanueva De La Canada on 6 July 1937. The Republicans are attacking with T26 armor support against the Seville Blueshirts deplyed in a town.

The second is Torijo near Guadlajara on 11 March 1937. The Nationalists, Italian Black Flame Division, are attacking dug in, read trenched, Republicans, who later get armor support of T26s. The Nationalists have onmap and offmap artillery support with light armor (MG only).

Please contact me if you want to do the testing.

MikeT

desertcmt@attbi.com

Hans and Mike T. -- I'll be in touch to try out your scenarios -- AS SOON AS I GET THE FREAKIN GAME!!!!

I do recall a book by Hugh Thomas that, while a general overview of the war, did provide some grist for tactical scenarios. I'll ahve to scout it out.

For mods, what I really want are olive groves.

For air support, do the Russians have I-16? Those and Stukas should do the trick.

No problem there Chief, gathering info on the Italians on a scenario for CMBB is nearly complete. Fortunately the info for these has some transportability to the SCW.

Once I get the "Raid on Madrid" play tested I'll put it up at Keith's scenario site.

Hans

BTS has listed "The Early Years 38 to 42 " as the 3rd game scheduled to be released. With the rewrite coming up too, plus the variety of different early war units, and the experimentation with unit organization and combined arms during this period, it could actually be the best game yet.

I know its a few years off, but anticipation is exciting.

Hopping and hoping .... Toad

Hmmmmm, strange. . . I created a mini-scenario with partisans (Republican Guerillas) vs. a company of Italian Motorized troops (Nationalist). The partisans are set up to ambush the italian convoy as it crosses a small bridge (with AT mines on the road). However. . . . for some reason or another. . .THE TRUCKS THAT THE ITALIANS ARE IN WILL NOT MOVE!!! I tried setting up a VL and exit grid on the partisan's end of the map and they dont go anywhere!!! Why is this happening?

Does anybody know what mods would be neccessary for Spanish Civil War scenarios? What color patterns were used by Republicans and Nationalists for their equipment, what did Italian, Legion Condor and International Brigades armor and vehicles look like?

And maybe it would be possible to make the trucks a little bit more "pre-war" by subtile texture modding? What do our Mod Gods say? smile.gif