Land mine as infranty anti-tank weapon?

Anti-tank mines are not abstracted - a squad or team carries a specific number of them.

I'm not sure what the "mushroom" mine is, but the magnetic mine is a specific weapon - tank hunter teams up to 4 - usually 2 or 3.

Close assault using ordinary weapons - grenades and guns fired into open hatches or vision/pistol ports is abstracted.

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Anti-tank mines are not abstracted - a squad or team carries a specific number of them.

I'm not sure what the "mushroom" mine is, but the magnetic mine is a specific weapon - tank hunter teams up to 4

I know that already. I am talking about land mine that a soldier can carry around and toss it so the tank may roll over it and baam! That was what the subject says. Thank you very much! smile.gif

[ December 11, 2002, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: GriffinCheng+ ]

Hi there!

I read from some historic document ("Der Panzerknacker" - could some tell me the URL?) that you shouldn't "TOSS" the landmine under the tank. The simple reason for this is, that everyone who tosses a "normal" landmine will got blow up - together with the tank.

The tactic was more to put it somewhere where the tank will go soon or to lay the mine on top the tracks, while the tank is stopped. As soon as the tank started the mine will (hopefully) "tansported" where it hurts - to the downside of the tracks.

There are several website dealing with WW2 weapons, just go for them.

Hope that helps a bit. Please enlighten me, if I'm wrong. I'm still only Grog "light"! ;)

Thanks.

[ December 11, 2002, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Da Beginna ]

Pulling mines into the path of tanks is a known tactic, but isn't catered for in CM - diasy chain mines are nte nearest it gets.

Hand held use of mines - like teller mines apparently fitted with time fuses instead of weght ones and wedged under the turret overhang of T34's - isn't covered - the nearest thing would probably be to equip your troops with demo charges.

Anti-tank mine used in the midst of combat? Shades of the movie "Cross of Iron"! Sachel charges would be a good substitute, but buying them in the setup phase and liberally distributing them in the beginning can be pretty effective too. Especially against a human player. BFC says the AI doesn't 'cheat' but I'd swear the AI has the supernatural ability to AVOID driving over my landmines in a game!

Really mike? I remeber one AI battle where the russians wouldn't stop coming right over identified mines..

Commander 1, Scout Car: Forward for mother russia! Find the fascisti! BOOOOM!..ooops

Coimmander 2, Scout HQ: Ivan just blew apart! Let us quickly drive to his position and find him and what killed him! Baaam! ...Sergey, sergey I can't seeeeeee!

Commander Three, T-34: The scoutrs all perished! Clearly my heavy firepower is needed to neutralize their killer! Forward! CRACK! Hey..we're not moving anymore...

and so forth...

If those of you who are interested can get your hands on a copy of the film "Men Against Tanks" then it will answer all your questions. It is full of countless uses for the Tellermine in the hand held anti-tank mode. The movie is full of scene after scene of german infantrymen sprinting up to T34s and heaving mines on the back deck and the like. The shots are in German and they cover almost every conceivable way to take out tanks given the hand held infantry weapons of the day. Its a war time film and worth a look...

Rob

Rob,

Thank you for your info.

Is the film you mentioned avail online or for sale? I read some "not-that-serious" (actually WW2 comics) accounts about German infantryman using tellermine against tanks. That is why I am asking.

Appearently, this is not modelled in CM series.

[ December 11, 2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: GriffinCheng+ ]

There are great photos in one of the GD histories of an infantry anti-tank school, with the instructor throwing a Tellermine onto the engine grate of a captured T-34. It was a standard AT practice, as far as I know. The instructor was a Major with 4 Tank Destruction Badges, so I suppose he knew what he was talking about...

[ December 12, 2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...throwing a Tellermine onto the engine grate of a captured T-34. It was a standard AT practice, as far as I know.

Humm, that may "explain" why in CMBB, tanks are KOed by infantryman when clearly they have no grenades left. Or is it?

[ December 12, 2002, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: GriffinCheng+ ]

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...throwing a Tellermine onto the engine grate of a captured T-34. It was a standard AT practice, as far as I know.

Humm, that may "explain" why in CMBB, tanks are KOed by infantryman when clearly they have no grenades left. Or is it?</font>