Fire all remaining rounds on my position!

How hard would it be to code in the option for arty spotters to fire all remaining rounds on their position, or last target. It's SOP for arty batteries to already have the spotters position plotted. It would be a really nice spiteful feature, as I find it somewhat annoying to have my spotters overrun....

The point being though, currently when the spotter is eliminated, all remaining rounds are lost. I don't even care if this feature would be controllable by the player. Realistically spotters avoid being overrun, but when they run out of places to hide and figure they're going to die anyway......

Originally posted by DevilDog:

The point being though, currently when the spotter is eliminated, all remaining rounds are lost. I don't even care if this feature would be controllable by the player. Realistically spotters avoid being overrun, but when they run out of places to hide and figure they're going to die anyway......

That call was made by the company commander or battalion commander, not the FO, wasn't it? I can't see an FO dropping rounds on himself just because his own personal safety was compromised - he would still be required to follow the directions of the unit he was assigned to.

Of course, since the CM player actually represents the FO's commander....

The allocation of rounds to an FO in CMBO is essentially an abstraction, so the "fire all remaining rounds" order wouldn't have made sense in real life. FO's were expressly forbidden to give "fire until I say stop" orders as well. From a coding point of view, I suppose it would be possible to leave orders in place if the FO was offed. Would it make for better gameplay? I'm not sure, FO's are powerful enough and I think the game should reward careful use of high value units. That's just my opinion, you may well disagree.

It has happened to me!!!

An american 155 was about to be overrun in a dark and foggy QB. The FO aborted the ongoing fire mission and spontaneusly called fire on the enemy, who was only 11 meters from him!!! The rounds came TRP-quick (but there were no TRP), after about 20 seconds, IIRC, the guns were firing. The resulting 4 155 mm rounds killed the FO and the Germans who were in the area.

I thought it was a feature. :D

I am not sure how it worked in World War II, but my first MOS in the Army was as an FO. When setting up our positions we had several duties, but there were two primary missions. One was to register the DS Battery (a real pain, too. The guns are registered 1 by 1 and it takes a while 'Gun 2, right 25, drop 25, gun 2 is adjusted. Gun 3, shoot, over.') The second misison you prepare is your Final Protective Fire Misison (or FPF), which is a final all-asset mission designed to stop an enemy attack and allow your guys to unass the AO, or to help in a last ditch defense.

The FPF is a specific fire mission, but also includes all HMG's, mortars, etc. I don't know how this could be coded into the game, so consider this for informational purposes only smile.gif .

[ February 08, 2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: jwxspoon ]