What good are those tank hunter teams?

Played a QB 300 points on a small map with a lot of random settings. I as Germans set up a 2 man hunter team in some woods on the left flank near the front edge of the setup zone. Threw in a 2 man flame team for the heck of it. Just at the end of turn 3 or 4 about 4 Soviet squads are seen advancing towards the woods passing to the right. No armor in sight but I say this might be as good as it gets. Set up cover arcs at around 30-35 meters. I have one mg34 team at the rear right of the map with a clear LOS so set up an arc for them to coincide.

Sure enough about half way thru the next turn all hell breaks loose on the Soviets. MG opens up, flame team get in a couple of shots, MP firing and grenade bundles flying. In the AAR I was surprised to find no kills for the MG team (they were routed shortly thereafter and ran all the way back to Berlin) nor for the flame team. However the suppression they caused allowed my 2 man tank hunter team to account for 28 Soviet casualties on what turned out to be Soviet Cavalry. They then died a heroes death trying to retreat to another clump of trees. Shot in the backs almost out of ammo.

A T-34 did appear shortly after that but after cruising left and right for a while it neatly ran into a mine field and blew a track. Anyway small battle, big fun. Great game.

I've noticed that tankhunter teams are suspiciously effective against other infantry, often racking up more kills than full squads. I've heard accounts of uber tankhunters from others also, but I have no idea how to check if there is something "wrong" here.

Originally posted by akdavis:

I've noticed that tankhunter teams are suspiciously effective against other infantry, often racking up more kills than full squads. I've heard accounts of uber tankhunters from others also, but I have no idea how to check if there is something "wrong" here.

Submachine guns... big fire power at short range, especially effective in tight quarters or out of ambush. Not a lot of ammo, however. No bug.

[ October 17, 2002, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Two man hunter teams rule the night, create a QB battle at night in a town with bunch of two man tank hunter teams and they'll take out just about anything.

Flame throwers & flame thrower tanks are also a real knick in night battles. I had one flame thrower tank parked between two buildings and along came a group of enemy tankettes down the road, my flame thrower tanke let lose and it took out all fore enemy tankettes with two shots.

My tank hunter teams always gets mowed down by infantry or then they get shot to bits by tanks, before doing any harm to them :I

I also laugh when tank hunter team has molotovs and grenades, while my regular troops carries panzerfausts or satchels.

I've also witnessed a tank hunter team which didn't get anything else but typical grenades.... go figure :confused:

Snarker,

pst... close quorters ;)

When I get Tank Hunter teams I think close-in ambushes vs enenmy infantry rather than dead tanks. Especially the Russian ones with their 2 PPShs. For city fighting they can't be beat.

But I'm not sure this was BFC's intention.

[ October 17, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Originally posted by Fishu:

Snarker,

pst... close quorters ;)

smile.gif I do mean "tight quarters", eg put them in a building where they fire at 10m or under as a unit or five trys to cross a road and enter the building. I'm not sure at what range "close quarters" calculations start at in CM, so I didn't use the term. I'm under the impression you must be right on top of the enemy unit to go bayonet and gun butts. I'll RTFM to see if it gives a distance. I do remember reading about unique sounds for close quarters fighting I'll try to listen for the sounds TFM says you'll hear next time I see units starting to close within 20m.

My experience is the tank hunter teams work best when they are placed just behind an infantry screen. The regular infantry should focus on pinning down and seperating the enemy infantry from the enemy armor. This forces the armor to advance buttoned up without infantry support, which makes them easy prey for the tank hunter teams. Placing the tank hunter teams in front of your infantry typically results in the teams getting quickly spotted and overwhelmed by the enemy infantry firepower.

PeterX: as a (pixelated) CO, you make due w/ what you have...those TH teams have lots of ordnance.

Snarker: close-combat starts at 20m (per the LOS tool) since squads are abstracted to occupy that much space. So a rifle grenade that might only be shot at 50m or something might be fired at 70m according the LOS tool, since the guy w/ the RG is on the fwd edge of the squad's "tile."

I had a Tank Hunter group that stood up against a charging T-34 in a tense scenario I was playing a couple days ago.

My armor was toast as was all of the soviets except for this T-34. Both the TH and the tank started to act at about the same time. The tank fired and killed them, but not before they were able to toss a grenade bundle on its top to knock it out.

They sacrificed themselves but for the greater good of my victory!

BDH

What makes the T.Hunters more dangerous in those close assaults is that there's only 2 of them with the appropriate gear to KO a tank. Grenade bundles, panzerfausts, etc. If the tank is buttoned up for their assault, the team is properly covered from enemy infantry, then the tank is as good as toast.

12pts for a tank hunter team to KO a T-34 that costs 100+ pts? I'll make that trade anyday, especially in dense terrain.

Originally posted by akdavis:

I wonder if perhaps tankhunter teams have some sort of internal close combat "bonus" to help them with close assualting tanks that might also make them unduly effective against other infantry?

I'm pretty sure this was covered before in another thread. Answer is in the submachine guns vs bolt action rifles. Much more firepower. You may also notice that in close combat the assistant to a machine gunner will stop helping the gunner and go to his SMG as it is so much more effective. You can see the numbers if you look at the info screen for a unit.