Is this a bug or meant to be.

PK

I am trying my hand at scenario design and have included a couple of German rocket battery fo's of the large calibur (280mm, 300mm and 330mm variety) the idea being they launch a pre-planned barrage on the suspected Soviets positions before the axis assult (the battle is set as axis assult).

When I play test the batteries will fire a salvo then will wait 5 mins to fire the next salvo and so on. If the roles are reversed and it's the Soviets fireing a pre-planned rocket salvo then all the rockets are delivered in the first 20secs of turn 1 to spectacular effect.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or realistic. I have tried setting the fight in dfferent years but does not make much differance.

I could not find the other tread.

Could it be an effect of the delivery system? If I remember correct the Germans used Nebelwerfers with each weapon having 6 tubes, 4 pieces to a unit. If the Russians use Kathushas (sp?) they might have as much as 20 rails on weapon, depending on what they put the system on (trucks, HT's, or even tanks). Their unit also consisted of more systems (6-8???). Their loading time was much longer though.

So the Germans delivered less rockets a minute, but can reload (in CM scope), while the Russians essentially shoot their whole load in one go.

Bertram

[ November 13, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Bertram ]

I couldn't find the thread either but did find this one.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=001836

I must of mis-understood the pre-planned arty barrage. I thought that if you plotted a pre-planned barrage then all the ordinance for that FO would be dumped in the first turn to soften up the defense before an assult.

I was also kind of hoping to use the pre-planned barrage to distort the battlefiled in a unique a way so each time the battle is fought there would be small differances in how the battle progresses. i.e buildings being destroyed and AT guns being knocked out or not etc. This would effect the way the player approaches the battle each time. Could still do it with the Soviets though.

Thanks Guys.

Paul

I must of mis-understood the pre-planned arty barrage. I thought that if you plotted a pre-planned barrage then all the ordinance for that FO would be dumped in the first turn to soften up the defense before an assult.
Yes, you have misunderstood the pre-planned arty barrage. It starts on turn 1 as normal, except that A) there's no LOS needed and B) you can delay it, in one-minute increments, if you desire.

Russian rocket launchers in CMBO come with just as many rounds as they have tubes - so they get to fire off everything at once.

It's not accurate for many of them, but it is for quite a few.

Somewhere I've got a photo of a 300mm rocket barrage being launched. The launchers are very basic wooden frames propped up at an angle, and many of them have just launched a missile, and already the missiles are going off in odd directions!!

Originally posted by Mike:

Russian rocket launchers in CMBO come with just as many rounds as they have tubes - so they get to fire off everything at once.

It's not accurate for many of them, but it is for quite a few.

Somewhere I've got a photo of a 300mm rocket barrage being launched. The launchers are very basic wooden frames propped up at an angle, and many of them have just launched a missile, and already the missiles are going off in odd directions!!

I've had fun some with this in CMBB. Bought a couple of 300mm Rocket FO's with a full complement of ammo and had them fire on a town as a pre planned barrage. For about 20 seconds the whole place just errupts. It's a fantastic sight and just as I imagined a pre assult barrage to look like. Although you're right about the accuracy. Call in this amount of ordinace on a small map an you'll know the meaning of the term friendly fire.

Were the Soviets able to use this amount of firepower on say a Battalion sized engagement? Or was it just regiment sized engagements?

Y'all are forgetting that an artillery "unit" in CMBB has a certain # of tubes (unlike CMBO which is always=4 tubes). The Russian rockets seem to have the same # of rounds as tubes, so they all get fired simulataneous. The German ones seem to have 2 or 3 times as many rounds as tubes, so they have to reload. Conceptually, this is exactly the same as a 6-tube mortar battery have a delay b/w each salvo as they reload.