assaulting tanks (what movement to use)?

I was playing a night battle and wanted to move a HQ that had anti-tank weapons (magnetic mines and grenades) up to a enemy tank to try to take it out.

What I'm not sure about is what sort of movement order to give the HQ. Should they run or sneak or advance or what? I get confused as to what command will get them in range in the safest manner and also allow them to effectively assault the tank.

I´d also work with a cover arc command that makes sure they´ll not fire away at the tank or tank commander until they are close enough to use their AT equipment. I´ve just done the "follow" thing for the first time yesterday and it worked incredibly well although I have to say that in this specific situation "advance" did the trick as well when playing the turn again.

It doesn't seem like I'm ever successful at getting my men to run up to a tank and take it out. I'll often merely use the "move fast" command if the enemy is nearby but I'll still get shot to pieces. You guys are saying that "sneak" or "assault" works better? Whats this "Follow vehicle" movement you're talking about?

Desert Fox:

You guys are saying that "sneak" or "assault" works better? Whats this "Follow vehicle" movement you're talking about?
These are commands in CMBB, which are not available in CMBO. Are you playing CMBO? If so, I've used sneak to good effect, at least when the distance to cover is short.

Originally posted by Hat Trick:

Desert Fox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> You guys are saying that "sneak" or "assault" works better? Whats this "Follow vehicle" movement you're talking about?

These are commands in CMBB, which are not available in CMBO. Are you playing CMBO? If so, I've used sneak to good effect, at least when the distance to cover is short.</font>

My primary "Tank-killer" Weapon i wooded areas are my Pioneers.

Me and a friend play a lot og high point Operation.

One of my tactics is to have a few HMG/LMG suppressing his infantery. His Tanks either stop or contiune...either way I have a couple of squads Fast Move/Run within 30/25 metres of the tanks.

This works as a DREAM!

Last time I took out 4 or 5 IS-3's with Satchel charges...without to many casualties as well..thanx to the guys on the machineguns off course smile.gif

I use this tactic both as Russian and German.

But forget about the Molotovs!! They STINK!!

Go for tankhunters or pioneers...preferrably Pioneers.

And dont forget to give them coverfire/smoke the area!

smile.gif

Originally posted by First Mate Detrius:

One of my tactics is to have a few HMG/LMG suppressing his infantery. His Tanks either stop or contiune...either way I have a couple of squads Fast Move/Run within 30/25 metres of the tanks.

This works as a DREAM!

smile.gif

This is what I do too. I don't trust Follow Vehicle, and simply give them a Fast order to the tank, and they go from there.

I've had good luck with Molotovs, they work alright for me. But I think the grenade bundles work the best (I've never seen a satchel used yet, maybe I don't pick the right units).

The best part is watching the tank crew bail out, crawl for cover, and get shot by my tank-killer squad. Pretty believable.