I hate to bring this up, but Bridge Demolitions

I remember reading a thread about deliberate use of DC against buildings with the area fire command.

I haven't read yet the revelation that engineers can now demo Bridges at will. Very neat feature. If you area fire only 4 metres away, they just sit there, but if you set the range at say 20 metres, they use their demo charges and in my first test, 3 or 4 DC (two were thrown at once) brought down a medium span.

Easy to abuse this in a scenario, but anyone wanting to do a battle involving deliberate demolitions should be happy.

Sorry if it's been brought up before. Just thought someone would want to know...l :rolleyes:

[ October 22, 2002, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I remember reading a thread about deliberate use of DC against buildings with the area fire command.

I haven't read yet the revelation that engineers can now demo Bridges at will. Very neat feature. If you area fire only 4 metres away, they just sit there, but if you set the range at say 20 metres, they use their demo charges and in my first test, 3 or 4 DC (two were thrown at once) brought down a medium span.

Easy to abuse this in a scenario, but anyone wanting to do a battle involving deliberate demolitions should be happy.

Sorry if it's been brought up before. Just thought someone would want to know...l :rolleyes:

Actually that sounds horribly unrealistic too me..

Originally posted by The_Capt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Actually that sounds horribly unrealistic too me..</font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Hmmm... interesting. I don't recall this feature ever coming up during the Beta testing. Something to test out (wood vs stone bridge, etc.)

Yes, ran the test as well. Both wood and stone bridges can be brought down having pioneer units use area fire ("use explosive") where they employ demolition charges. A break in a wooden bridge will occur with 1-2 demo charges, and a break in a stone bridge will occur with 2-3 demo charges.

I agree on the abstraction bit; demo charges have doubled for mine-clearance since CMBO. It's a nice option for those wanting an easy representation of prepared charges. Besides, you'll only have bridges on a user-made map - if it's a scenario, the designer can remove DC's from any pioneer force's arsenal if he doesn't want the bridges blown. If you're playing a QB on a bridge map, just make sure you and your opponent agree beforehand on what's appropriate.