Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Improved player control

I read the terrible review of CM2 on the PC Zone website when I got an idea. Maybe someone has had this idea before but who cares really.

I got to think about Panzer Generals use of core and auxiliary units. The core units you could change before play into whatever you liked while the auxiliaries were predetermined.

What if the scenario designer could (optional of course) give XXX numbers of purchase points to the scenario so that the player has more influence on the units. The rarity option already works great so you could choose wheather you like one Jagdtiger or a couple platoons MK IV's. For historical battles the designer would of course disable this option but fictional battles would have that extra element of player control. This should also be easily doable considering half the work is already done in the rarity function. Good maps/scenarios would also have much better replayability and then specially so in multiplayer games. You could also have some interesting historical what-if's.

Play balance is always best when the designer can choose everything but the main goal of a commercial game is fun.

No I mean a designer made scenario where the player can change the troops to a more or less degree based upon how many points the designer has given to that battle.

It would be a QB with nice maps and a somewhat designed control through the auxiliary units.

1) DL scenario

2) Soviet player to open scenario in editor

3) Change Soviet core units as desired

4) Sends to German player

5) German player to open scenario in editor

6) Change German core units as desired

7) German player to start game

I don't think I would design scenarios to allow this, I would be interested if some designers would do that?

Originally posted by howardb:

No I mean a designer made scenario where the player can change the troops to a more or less degree based upon how many points the designer has given to that battle.

It would be a QB with nice maps and a somewhat designed control through the auxiliary units.

You can edit the canned scenarios with any available units now......is that what you meant?

KC

You can edit the canned scenarios with any available units now......is that what you meant?

I think he was reaching more toward something like a Quick Battle with imported map and troops.

( ;);):D )

Scenario designer makes scenario. Players import the map/troops into a QB and add troops based on the points/guidelines given by the designer.

[ December 13, 2002, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Marc Sullivan (aka Xerxes) has done several Player-Pick scenario type battles, and they are very well done I must say. You can get them at The Scenario Depot (first link in my sig). One is called "1 If By Land, 2 If By Sea." I am blanking on the other.

WWB

The other one is "Snail Offensive" smile.gif

It's exactly what you're describing Howard. Eerily so.

Both can be played with the ai defending and picking it's own troops in addition to the ones that come on the map. The ai places wire/mines really poorly which makes snail offensive better as a two player.

Thanks for the compliment WWB.

One more thought. On my wish list for CM is the ability to make a scenario (that loads like a scenario) in which you can mix preselected and player pick forces. I had to have a separate text file that goes with the map that has the settings, etc. that you need to use. A little clumsy.

Scenario designer makes scenario. Players import the map/troops into a QB and add troops based on the points/guidelines given by the designer.
Almost. The designer makes a map and tweaks it his way with auxiliaries for both sides. Then he gives you xxx number of points to purchase your own troops to give the player more freedom. The designer could also make the core units infantry only if needs be. Personally I love the unit buying and with a mean rarity factor it's like a lottery smile.gif

And no I'm not talking about a QB with imported troops. I mean a designed map where you can change SOME of the troops. This way the designer can still have some control on the battle so that it doesn't get too uneven either way.

This was hard to explain.... almost regretting I started it hehe

[ December 13, 2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: howardb ]

Almost. The designer makes a map and tweaks it his way with auxiliaries for both sides. Then he gives you xxx number of points to purchase your own troops to give the player more freedom. The designer could also make the core units infantry only if needs be. Personally I love the unit buying and with a mean rarity factor it's like a lottery smile.gif

And no I'm not talking about a QB with imported troops. I mean a designed map where you can change SOME of the troops. This way the designer can still have some control on the battle so that it doesn't get too uneven either way.

Do you mean that scenario designers could set (not only suggest in some text file) the number of points for purchasing and also restrict what kind of units can be purchased (Mechanized, Armor and so on)?

Xerxes wrote:

"On my wish list for CM is the ability to make a scenario (that loads like a scenario) in which you can mix preselected and player pick forces. I had to have a separate text file that goes with the map that has the settings, etc. that you need to use."

Yes, and if we could also specify reinforcements something like this:

reinforcement1: some designer picked units, say a platoon of T34 tanks

reinforcement2: player buys 400 points worth of infantry

reinforcement3: computer buys 600 points worth of Mechanized troops

Hb,

Again, it seems to me you can accomplish this by taking any canned or preset scenario load it into the editor and swap out/in around to your hearts content.

You will have the map and enemy as determined by the author, choose the *good* guys of choice go into the editor and make all the changes you want,

I've done this with a couple and I'll warn you, it changes the game, and not always to the better. Also, use only the points alotted and keep a calculater handy. :D

Remember, your on your honor!!

KC

People already do this by using an impartial 3rd person who takes requests from each player and then buys the units for each player, giving them exactly what they want, or perhaps changing it a bit (if someone makes a terribly "gamey" request the unit-requests are SWITCHED, heh he).

After establishing a core for each side, the moderator sends the map to both opponents, and after they analyze map/weather/situation/etc, they can make a request to the moderator (i.e. "up to Bn, Rgt, Bde, whatever) who gives them a little more, but not a perfect addition to their forces.

Exactly Slowmotion. Most of this stuff is already in the game they only need to make a new interface for it.

The rarity is already in and so is the different weapon groups (mech, inf, armor etc). Even if the designer said you could spend 800 points in infantry you could buy AT-guns for everything if you liked, it would be stupid but up to the player.

Just read the other posts. Yes I guess you can have a third party to do this for you or have a calculator ready but personally I would think it's more user friendly if this was built in.

Btw by saying that you've already had this done although the hard way you're saying it would be a welcome addition :D

[ December 13, 2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: howardb ]