Books on Russian Equipment and Men

Voxman

It is an excellent book! Lots of details about all aspects of the Red Army and plently of great pictures, tables, and charts. The author, Steven Zaloga, has provided several works on the russian/soviet forces and is quite an authority. I got my copy a couple of years ago, when it was harder to dig up. What else can i say but, don't hesitate - get it now!!! smile.gif

Regards

The Red Army Handbook is only about 227 pages long but Zaloga covers a tremendous amount of ground. Everything you would want to know about how the Red Army was organized and equiped is spelled out. Weapon specs, unit organization, and probably the most useful info when creating scenarios numerous Tables of Equipement and Organization.

There maybe better books on the Red Army but you will have to learn Russian to read them.

Another book that covers in much more detail Russian armor is Russian Tanks of World War II by Bean and Fowler. A lot of info and pictures. These 2 books, I think you will find very useful. I hope these sparse comments have helped.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I have a book called The Armed Forces of World War II by Andrew Mollo. [snips]

An excellent book, well worth getting hold of. UK readers may care to note that a small-format version of it has just been re-issued, which as far as I can tell is identical with the original edition except that it is missing the very useful table of equivalent ranks at the back. Copies were available in Bligh's bargain books in Sevenoaks recently for a fiver a pop.

It must be said, though, that it doesn't have much on the Russians at all.

All the best,

John.

I love this place for resources like this, that's going on my must buy list (along with An Army at Dawn and the new Battle of Kursk books).

Let me put in a plug for Erickson's two volume series The Road to Stalingrad and The Road to Berlin; they are not detailed discussions of weapons and armor but rather a comprehensive discussion of how the Soviets fought the war. Read the first few pages about how Marshal Tukachevskii demanded, in 1936-38, that the USSR practice war games reacting to sudden suprise attack by masses of German armored divisions -- plans that died when he did, in the first round of Stalin's purges -- and you'll be hooked.

[ September 22, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Becket ]