Bovington Tank Museum - Pictures!

Here's some photos from Bovington. I trawled round it with my friend Tom, who's in a few of the pictures. My apologies for the funny lighting in some of them. The WW2 section is pretty cramped, too - mind you - anywhere with 50 armoured vehicles in it is likely to be cramped. smile.gif

Many thanks to Gyrene for hosting the pictures. I won't put them all on the forums, since there's nearly 30 of them, but will just post a handful, and in honour of our upcoming release, I've picked the Russians:

T-26 model 1933 with a Panzer II in the background.

T-26resized.jpg

SU-76M in winter camo.

SU76Mresized.jpg

SU-100

SU-100resized.jpg

Some notes:

The M4A1 prototype you can see on the site has two extra machine guns, fixed firing forward in the hull - hence the 'prototype' tag.

The Italian L3-33 flamethrower vehicle is tiny (about 3 feet high) and the flame only had a range of around 40m. The crews were advised not to fire the flamethrower whilst on the move to ensure they didn't set light to themselves. :eek:

The Kingtiger has my friend Tom standing in front of him. Tom is 5'9" tall. How's that for a huge tank? smile.gif

I hope you enjoy the pictures. More posts to follow.

Originally posted by Soddball:

The Kingtiger has my friend Tom standing in front of him. Tom is 5'9" tall. How's that for a huge tank? smile.gif

Scrawny little bugger isn't he... not the tank, but Tom.

Of course, one's perspective gets a little skewed when at 6' 3", I'm the scrawniest male in my family.

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Bovington was the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience, next to the Chino (Calif) warbirds airshow I saw in '81. All armor buffs must make this pilgrimage to the Mecca of Mech!

It's been a while since 1981, but you might recognize some of the planes seen here

Gyrene

A few more for the monkeys who can't click on the link.... :rolleyes:

Panzer II:

Panzer-IIresized.jpg

Panzer II Luchs:

Panzer-IILuchsresized.jpg

Panzer IIIL:

Panzer-IIILresized.jpg

Panzer IV:

Panzer-IVresized.jpg

Panzer V G:

PantherGresized.jpg

Panzer VI:

Tiger-sideresized.jpg

And yes, that is the same Tiger Wittman used, except his had more holes in it.

King Tiger:

KingTigerresized.jpg

I have 1280x1024 shots of all photos which are 300k apiece. If any of you want the full-size ones, for wallpaper or modding, let me know and I'll email them over to you.

Originally posted by Soddball:

Michael, the beast behind the SU-100 is a 'Tortoise'...

I kind of thought so, but there wasn't enough showing to get a definite ID. Funny looking muzzle brake on it. What gun did it have? I've forgotten, a 20pdr?

Do you have any information on where the IIIL was captured?

Very nice pics, BTW. Some of the best I've seen of this kind of thing. Makes me wish I could get into the Museum for a week or so!

Michael

The Tortoise carried a 3.7" 32pdr gun and its maximum armour was 279mm. :eek:

There's a good link here if you want some more information on it.

This quote on the performance of the 32pdr from the site above:

32 Pounder Performance

"Whilst visiting the Bovington Library I made a few quick notes on the performance of the 32-pdr taken from the report of the tank trials dated May-July 1948.

Preliminary trials gave penetration of Panther armour at 950 yards at 30 degrees.

Subsequent testing at 1350 yards (again against a Panther) had the following results:

Shot 1 plugged the armour.

Shot 2 shot away the lower section of the gun mantlet with the deflected shot lifting the drivers plate 3-4 inches the shot ending up under the turret floor.

Shot 3 coincided with a previous round.

Shots 4 and 5 caused considerable fragmentation inside the turret

The observation of shot was said to be better than that of the Centurion and the performance of 32-pdr APCBC being considered better than that of 20-pdr APDS."

---------

The Panzer IIIL was captured in North Africa - but that's the best I can do, I'm afraid. There were no signs of penetration although it had some ricochet marks. I can only assume it was abandoned.

Thanks, Soddy. I sort of thought the IIIL might have come from NA. If it was at el Alamein, it may have well run out of gas. If in tunisia...well, who knows?

I could be interesting to pit one of these in a duel with a Sherman. Perhaps it can be done in CMBB...

Michael

[ August 24, 2002, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]