To mod, or not to mod...

Ok. Let me preface this by saying I think the modders and community have achieved, and continue to achieve amazing improvements in the CMBO graphics. Their selfless dedication has made many a CM'er stupidly happy with the improvements to in-game graphics, and by that route, immersion, or verisimilitude, if you will, of the simulation.

BUT...

My computer died (thanks Bill), and I had to reformat and reinstall. Backed up all the mods I'd installed. I'd played with a fully modded version for well over a year.

When I reinstalled CMBO, I wanted to get turns out as soon as possible. Played without mods, and have been doing so ever since. I really don't miss all the eye-candy. It still is very immersive. I'm certainly not saying there's no need for the modders, as they contribute a great deal, and make the CMBO experience that much richer for so many people. I'm just saying that CMBO "as is" is still an amazingly addictive and rewarding game.

And from what I've seen of CMBB...

The only point being made is that CM is a great game and its play mechanics are exceptional. You don't need better graphics to enjoy it.

No debate there. I think its an obvious fact. If we didn't enjoy playing CM for what it is under the covers, no amount of graphics will make us play as long as we do.

You defined it quite nicely. Better graphics does improve what is already an exceptional software package. However, I'll go with the better graphics if I have a choice. You can have fun with the car even if it does need a new paint job, but I enjoy looking good while driving, thank you.

Immersion is important to me and nothing wrong with doing the extra downloads to get that sparkle in CM. Yea, I know, it was great and all before. But its better now.

Almost seems pointless issue though. The old debate where game play is better than graphics, so I don't put as much importance on how it looks. But in this case, you have the same game play regardless, so of course, graphics matter if you have a choice.

And thank goodness we have a choice. Modders rock! Keep on rocking!!!

Leeo-

I only had one or two mods aside from the two ModPaks up until a couple of months ago, myself. Then I saw some cool looking Shermans and figured I'd mod a whole bunch of stuff. It's neat I guess, but not necessary. It's a VERY subjective thing, so do as much as you want, when you want.

I would make fun of the UberModders but I spent an evening combining two sound mods to get the "perfect" vehicle KO sound, so who am I to talk? smile.gif

-dale

Mods are like booze, crack, or any other addictive drug. Sure you're back on the stock graphics water wagon now, "eye candy doesn't matter!" But soon you'll download a Sherman, or a Panther mod. "Just one," you'll tell yourself. "Hey, it's not even hi-res."

Then before you know it you'll be up all night scouring the Web for mods, and then you'll be spending, 100, 200, 800 precious MB of HD space on MODS, just like the old days.

It's just a matter of time.

;)

Long story short about 2 months ago I had to reinstall the game and when I did I thought -well I'm just sticking with the original mods that came with the game. Well, I did play it that way for a couple of games and just didn't enjoy it like I had when I was all modded up. So, here I went downloading and searching all over for the right mods. It took a while but I am 100% modded again and enjoyed every minute of it. The game is back where I want it and it looks so so much better and more fun to play. It's got to be the best game out there with no game even second close but it just isn't as much fun to play or look at without all the many mods out there. No I personally think that the modders out there have contributed greatly - I mean greatly to this outstanding game and I for one will forever be appreciative to them - a bunch!!!!!!!!!! I don't know who I love more my wife and family or the modders that have contributed to this game that I love so very much. I feel that strongly about it. I guess as the saying goes " To each their own" but you won't ever catch me saying anything bad or making little of what they the modders have done for this game. I love those guys. I will close with just one last statement that I just made up. Never has so many owed so much to so few. Modders forever! Long live the glorest modders. Hail the Modders. Ok, I guess you understand I really like and appreciate them. Oh, I got a little carried away about them over the family but next to my family I love them second best. ;)

Yea, sure, about eye candy...is there anywhere a map mod whit grids or something.(need help whit elevations and stuff)

This is here because, regardless the beatiful land mod I downloaded (and cm's orginal graphics)

I actually NEED, something uglier tongue.gif :cool:

-Some one ,who has lost many BEATIFUL(ly-modded) (and useful) units

:(

Thx, for reply's(if any)

[ June 22, 2002, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: SpaceHamster ]

I just got the game yesterday, and there is a bonus CD with it now, Scenario's and over 360 MGB of Mods. One question, why is it in the CMOS that a lot of the MODS are unavailable? And another question, sorry, I'm a newbie, can anyone suggest a couple of scenario's that are best for a newbie to start with, apart from the tutorial? smile.gif Thanks in anticipation!

Originally posted by SpaceHamster:

Yea, sure, about eye candy...is there anywhere a map mod whit grids or something.(need help whit elevations and stuff)

I believe there are gridded terrain mods out there. However, that is one thing I really appreciate about the neon grass of the original is that it shows elevation very nicely. Not near as pretty at the lower view levels, but it does show elevations well.

This thread is a pointless point (snicker). It is just interesting, as I think many who have played with it modded for so long lose sight of the fact that it had decent graphics to begin. Sure beats the hell out of those cardboard counters!

Thanks also go to the boys at BFC for having the wisdom and foresight to make the game easily and completely mod-able.

Lastly, my thanks also to all the modders, who have contributed hugely to the game. I'm sure I'll eventually return to the back-alleys of cyberspace looking to buy a dime-bag of mods. I'm clean now, but...

This thread is a pointless point (snicker).
Exactly! But you are the one making it.

lose sight of the fact that it had decent graphics to begin.

Compared to icons, sure. But the original Jpz-IV was the ugliest thing on tracks. Even other CM original textures put it to shame. It screamed "Mod ME! PLEASE, Mod ME!"

BTS did the right thing in opening up the graphics to modders. A brilliant decision.

Don't forget that BTS announced that yes, the textures could have been of a highter resolution, but they were targetting for a wider market which included older machines. So lower quality textures.

So what is the point? You like the original textures and they are good enough for you? Go for it. But I have not lost sight on their quality, which I think is your actual point. They were good, yes, but still are below the quality of several of the mod replacements. Are the Mods worthy of download time and effort. Hell yes!

Mod Slut,

i love mods.

there is nothing like opening up a dawn attack with surlybens skies, old dogs grass, kumps bases and tanks trees, with af+fernando's uniforms....not to mention the other gazillion mods i use. thanks guys.

Note: the other day i had to use the original graphics because of the map size and my imac not being able to run it...it was still tons of fun. but you knew that.

The good news is with the new hardware, computer and graphics cards, the biggest battles play real good. Even with lots of smoke and using all hi-res Mods. Oh I don't miss those days where my map jerked and jittered when lots of smoke was around.

I just hope BTS sticks around for a very long time and keeps growing this life form called CM gaming.

I agree that the modders have done a phenomenal job and I'm glad that all that good stuff is available if players choose to do so.

I used to run CM heavily modded ... all the vehicles, buildings, terrain, interface, etc. Now, I'm using Magua's low-res buildings, Wolf's high-contrast terrain and DD's tree bases. I do the vast majority of my viewing at levels 3-5, where the vehicle mods and uniform mods don't mean a lot to me. The high-contrast terrain may not be the most realistic but it gives me the terrain info that I value more. I've got enough horses to run the game so it was never a hardware or memory issue, just personal preference.

I'm currently involved in a game restricted to levels 1 & 2 viewing where other mods would be attractive, but I haven't really missed them. Again, just personal preference.

[ June 22, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Moriarty ]