One Peng to rule them all, one Peng to challenge them ...

Thank you. Thank you. {pause for applause from the millions of adoring fans} Any title that causes more indigestion than Elvis' Suprbowl Chili must be a winner.

Now then, since we are highly unlikely to see many turns out of the yanks with their annual sports carnival going on, I might just have to get some work done today.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by PondScum:

...because you're all off watching some testosterone-crazed brutes chasing bloated animal skins around a field. Enough! Leave Mace alone to do what he does best, and SEND ME SOME FECKIN' TURNS.

Wrong again, PondScum. Football is for consumerist zombies. Turn sent.

Your agglutinated pal,

Sludge

Originally posted by Geier:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Yeknodathon:

There are three teams with dirty words in their names. Arsenal, Scunthorpe and Manchester f***ing United.

Billy Bragg</font>

Eh? Oh, yeah, and what would a Swede know about Scunthorpe United, eh? Let me put these Gods past you: Ray Clemence, Kevin Keegan and Ian Botham. eh? Impressed?

Better than Dynamo Fjordstumknacker FC.

Idjit Yeknod

Originally posted by Yeknodathon:

You really try to live up to the Idjit in your name don't you? I know quite a bit about Scunthorpe and if you are so unfamiliar with the English language that you can't see what team gets the boot in the original statement you can add "Really Big" in front of Idjit.

And Swedes certainly seem to know how to run national sides wouldn't you agree? See you on June 2nd, loser.

And if I ever start a team we'll call ourselves Dynamo Fjordsturmknacker FC so you won't get any royalties.

Johan

Originally posted by Geier:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Yeknodathon:

You really try to live up to the Idjit in your name don't you? I know quite a bit about Scunthorpe and if you are so unfamiliar with the English language that you can't see what team gets the boot in the original statement you can add "Really Big" in front of Idjit.

And Swedes certainly seem to know how to run national sides wouldn't you agree? See you on June 2nd, loser.

And if I ever start a team we'll call ourselves Dynamo Fjordsturmknacker FC so you won't get any royalties.

Johan</font>

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Careful about using the term idjit, there is a request on another thread to make using the words Idjit and Sod banning offences, and some people have pointed out that these terms are very culturally insensitive.

What thread? I do so enjoy seeing idjits in their natural habitate

Originally posted by Lawyer:

WOW!! Did ya see the Eagles on TV in the Super Bowl tonight? Ya didn't??

Wankers.

No, but I pot shotted a few of them last night on duty. Like flying rats, they seem to be everywhere now days. It is getting to be that harvesting a few Eagle feathers is not big deal anymore, no more fun than clubbing a few seals or offing a Beluga or two.

[ February 03, 2002, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]

Careful about using the term idjit, there is a request on another thread to make using the words Idjit and Sod banning offences, and some people have pointed out that these terms are very culturally insensitive.[/QB]

Once again, Slapdragon, the Knowledgeable Grog Who Lies and Misrepresents In Order To Further His Agenda of Disruption and Personal Brutality (not really my perception, certainly not the 'Knowledgeable' part. I'm merely attempting to interpret the peceptions of much of the rest of the Board), has gotten it wrong again.

Nowhere, in any thread, has there been a reference to 'idjit' as being culturally insensitive. It is, as everyone who is not an idjit knows and understands, personally insensitive.

Now, 'sod' has been pointed out as being especially culturally repellant to Turks. Since I very much doubt that the average Turk is addressing other Turks by the term 'sod', it's an interesting claim, at best. If, on the other hand, the claimant is maintaining that the concept behind the term 'sod' is deeply insulting to Turks, then I'm quite willing to agree that such might be the case. And I won't even try and shuffle around about he term, and make some sort of specious claim that it derives from 'the old sod', and try and connect its etymology with the concept of 'countryman' or neighbour, or any silly ****e like that.

We all know where its roots lie, but we're not going on about it because it will merely send some of our more useless members off snickering and nudging each other in a most unbecoming and rather juvenile way. And it's quite conceivable that some of our American members keep using it without a clue as to its derivation, but, if so, it's because they're sodding idjits.

Now, I, personally, have to assume some responsibility for the general spread of certain Commonwealth vulgarities on to the Board. Obviously all the Board from the Commonwealth nations use the terms bloody, sod, sod-off, wanker, git, pillock, and bugger as part of their cultural heritage, even if it's the low and rather sordid end of said heritage.

But, because they also perceive these terms as having more impact and and affrontery precisely because of their familiarity with them, they are much less likely to use them in a jocular, general insult on the Board sort of way.

Now, who, on the Peng Challenge Thread, introduced these terms into general useage amongst the Cesspool membership?

It was myself. And I, alas, did so knowing full well what I did.

Oh, I admit to a certain sense of risible enjoyment when I contemplate the results. Without the Peng Challenge Thread, how likely is it that a large, bald, former bouncer in Cincinnati, Ohio would make posts entitled 'Come and get it, ya' Gits!'

But I digress.

Now, as I have taken some responsibility for introducing these Commonwealth vulgarities into useage, certainly by most Americans and many foreigners on the Board, and thereby have likely encouraged members of the Commonwealth to use them more freely than they might otherwise have given their social understanding of the impact, I would like to encourage our membership to a policy of 'intelligent use'.

By that, I mean, what may (and, in fact, is) appropriate use in the Peng Challenge Thread is not necessarily appropriate use on the Board as a whole. Certain terms, especially 'sod', and 'bugger' (and their various modifications), are probably not completely appropriate to the Board as a whole, in the same way that '****' and '****' are not appropriate (whatever your culture).

And, because the s & f words are pretty much universally regarded as over the top, they should not be used here, either (the latter never, the former sparingly and with humourous intent, rather than in a brutal or demeaning way).

Now, Americans, and Foreigners not familiar with Commonwealth useage, should also probably be aware that 'bloody' is regarded by many Brits and Commonwealth members as being rather vulgar. Of course, given that this is a largely male board not dominated by people's maiden English aunts, at best it will probably get you a frown or two from the more proper types. Sod them. Also, the English, at least, have a far greater reaction to 'bastard' than Americans do, most likely because here we don't give a rip who our fathers were, as long as they weren't English.

Ha-ha, just a bit of Seanachai humour their, British chums.

Now, 'git' has, in fact somewhat vulgar roots, but has passed into fairly general and low intensity useage. And a 'pillock' is an idjit in any culture's estimation.

As for 'idjit' itself, it's no more than a dialectal representation of the word 'idiot'. Now, in times not so long past, the term 'idiot' had both a psychological and quasi-scientific meaning, indicating someone of limited intelligence, incapable of bettering themself because of inherent disabilities.

But as language evolves, and terms that once served one utility can pass into popular useage and come to possess another, so with the term 'idiot' (and more especially the obviously colloquially intended 'idjit'). Popular useage identifies it less with unfortunates suffering from impaired brain function, and aims it at those who suffer from self-imposed brain dysfunction. In other words, people who are beyond merely stupid, but rather, aggressively stupid, and by choice.

Now, don't we all understand these things better? I thought so.

That said, and given that we are, in fact, within the Peng Challenge Thread, I find all of you to be a bloody sodding half-wit lot of idjit buggers, as useless a load of gits and pillocks as ever defiled the genetic material of their ancestors by spiraling it up their deformed DNA chains.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

yadda yadda

That said, and given that we are, in fact, within the Peng Challenge Thread, I find all of you to be a bloody sodding half-wit lot of idjit buggers, as useless a load of gits and pillocks as ever defiled the genetic material of their ancestors by spiraling it up their deformed DNA chains.

My god, what have I done. The first dissertation length article on the word Sod and Idjit. Ohhhh, the humanity of it all.

And now for something completely different, why Seanachi is a daft bastard and needs new sparkplugs installed in the old brain pan.

The term "idjit" was first adopted by the Warner Brother's cartoons, where two gun Sam and other characters used it to signify the percieved lack of intelligence of another character, who usually turned out to somehow be mentally superior. The reason for using the term idjit is that idiot was seen as vulgar.

The term sod of course has a much deeper history in the use of conversation than Seanachi's adoption of it for pool use. It is a common term of not much vitality in England, when combined with silly or simple or some other term it signifies mild derision, as opposed to great dislike. Legally, Sod is not a "fighting word" and has never been banned from TV in either country, although you of course wont here the BBC using it on a regular basis.

The term truly came into its own when it was used in the Monty Python TV and movies series.

ARTHUR:

What, behind the rabbit?

TIM:

It is the rabbit.

ARTHUR:

You silly sod!

TIM:

What?

ARTHUR:

You got us all worked up!

TIM:

Well, that's no ordinary rabbit!

ARTHUR:

Ohh.

TIM:

That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

ROBIN:

You tit! I soiled my armour I was so scared!

TIM:

Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

So the use of these words likely only offends the most maidenly of aunts. The ones who want cartoons and the like to be banned.

Of course the word ****e and the word **** both exist in England, but again one is seen as less vulgar than the other. They are technically the same, but humans usually treat them with a difference. "That is ****e" is a semi-humor filled attack on something. "That is ****" is bar room talk that will lead to fights. In a similar vein "Bull****" and "Bull ****e" will be percieved differently.

This is not a process limited to Great Britian and the commonwealth. In English, there exists "peckerhead" and "dickhead" as synonyms. One is acceptable in most conversations, the other is usually verbotten.

Now finally we have contextual usage of some words on the border. The word "tit" for example is generally with held from conversation since it is considered a vulgarity, with the term "breast" used in its stead. But in the above skit "silly tit" is used in a context as a humorous attempt at expression of exasperation. The speaker is not literally saying that the listener is a befuddled mammery gland, but the humor of the vision creates a positive image.

Certianly, none of these words are fighting words. Fighting words are defined as words which would naturally lead to conflict no matter what context, or whose imagery is so negative as to be mistaken for fighting words. So if you are in a bar, and you say, "bull****" to a bouncer, he will likely do some bouncing. That is a fighting word. Tone it down to bull****e, and you may survive a bit longer. At least the reaction will be calculated instead of instinctual.

[ February 04, 2002, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]

And now for something completely different, why Seanachi is a daft bastard and needs new sparkplugs installed in the old brain pan.

Sigh. Oh Thou that Knowest All, You see what I deal with here, and...you know.

I post an attempted 'educational and cautionary' bit of information on the Thread of threads, and what am I rewarded with?

Slapdragon's needy and aggressive desire to be always perceived as 'right'.

Now, do I show up in every 'Grog' thread and try to assert knowledge I do not possess?

I do not.

Do I show up in every 'My Opinion is that You're a Fecking Idjit' thread, and assert my personal superiourity?

I do not.

Do I have to deal with Slapdragon showing up in the Peng Challenge Thread and responding to my perfectly reasonable and intelligent posting as though he had superiour knowledge when in fact he's a fecking idjit who's skull even rats won't gnaw after he's dead for fear of contracting stupidity by absorption?

Yes, I do.

Sometimes, lads and ladies, I despair, I truly do. I would never pretend to posture around this Slapdragon creature as though I were a 'Grog', but he will not return me the favour of desisting from posturing around me as though he were 'Intelligent and Knowledgeable', which he is not. There are times, as Slapdragon shows us, when a bloated and self-absorbed ego aren't a benefit, even within the Peng Challenge Thread,.

Slapdragon, my little posturer, return to your attempts to make 'Modders' cry and flounce off, and other Grogs to gnash their teeth, and humourless pillocks to abuse you and raise points of order.

But cease your attempts to supercede me here, in the Peng Challenge Thread, on the basis of your wit and intelligence. For, lad, that's like dropping a kitten into a blender in order to see how fast it can spin.

For it can spin very, very fast, lad, but it will be reduced to ****e in the process.

And such will be your fate, I'm afraid.

[ February 04, 2002, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

For it can spin very, very fast, lad, but it will be reduced to ****e in the process.

All knowing one, if you beat me in this game in which you are cowering about, then I will willingly recite the Australian anthem, paise the lord for all Seanachi's{/b] everywhere, and proclaim your greatness in a long and silvery post. Then you will truly have your reveng on me rather than empty attempts to teach the children why flamethrowers were rare in the real world. But my question is, what if I unseat you oh Grog wanna be?

Do I have to deal with Slapdragon showing up in the Peng Challenge Thread and responding to my perfectly reasonable and intelligent posting as though he had superiour knowledge when in fact he's a fecking idjit who's skull even rats won't gnaw after he's dead for fear of contracting stupidity by absorption?

Nothing you say is ever reasonable or intelligent. Usually it is nothing more than hot air leaking out. Come to think of it, if the leak were to be fixed, we would never hear from Seanachai at all. How would this be a bad thing you ask? Hell if I know... we need a repairman in here

A bunch of ****e that took the wanker a long time to type, while the poor Gates-slut becomes every more weary of his fate never again to be known as Peng

If you have time to blather on like that you could at least select all your troops, make a collective "fast move" across the map, and press go.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

All knowing one, if you beat me in this game in which you are cowering about, then I will willingly recite the Australian anthem, paise the lord for all Seanachi's everywhere, and proclaim your greatness in a long and silvery post. Then you will truly have your revenge on me rather than empty attempts to teach the children why flamethrowers were rare in the real world. But my question is, what if I unseat you oh Grog wanna be?</font>

Some ****e

Though idjit of idjits, wanker of wanker, and dare I say, sodder of small-time tax collectors and their 17 year-old construction worker sons buttocks, I accept the challenge as stated so long as it is not amended by a sneaky little amendment. Not since I coshed a senior citizen speeder into sleep for a broken tail light have I been quite so pleased with the prospects of this looming victory.

Now, as for myself, I am quite the average player. But I am fearless as a ronin should be. Besides, I know that your danglees are currently well compressed by the weather that is traditionally the lot of people from the corn fed states, and that likely your brain is frozen as well. So lay on McDuff (down Bauhaus , that is Shakespear, a very early member of the Peng Thread with quite a naughty handle) and damned be him that first cries 'Hold! Enough! I fear not that the mindless will support you as an old one over an upstart, nor do I fear my complete loss of the game, only that I will die in a bloody brawl on the street before I should read the poem you will likely have to compose.

So send the turn GIT, and the first taunt is yours.

Should you be adjudged the loser, both by score, and taunting, you will forever afterward, within the Peng Challenge Thread, acknowledge me as 'Liege'

Not so bloody fast the Seanachai. This one is MINE! He did me goodly service as squire and again in his knighting. I'll not have a sodding idjit such as yourself take that which I have bond in darkness. That you wish to joust with wit and blade against the noble Slapdragon is in the best tradition of the Mutha Beautiful Thread, but do not demand that which is not his to give.