Knocking out a KV in 41.

I play meeting engagements, 800 points, within the time frame of jun 41- mar 42. When playing the Germans, I've had great difficulty knocking out KV s. In one battle, I manouvered 4 Stg s to flank attack 1 KV; result was 4 knocked out Stg's.

I know an 88 can knock out a KV, but this weapon is immobile and therefore not the best choice in meeting engagements. Can anyone suggest a particuliar unit that has a fair chance to knock out a KV for the given time period?

I've had a KV roll up to a platoon of MKIII's hidden in the woods..

They kept up a constant battering of fire on the KV.. none penetrated, but eventually they disabled the track, immmobilizing the behemoth, and the KV crew bailed out smile.gif

the KV did not get a shot off BTW... maybe he could'nt see the MKIII's?

Hi,

quoting from an earlier post:

- If you are up against T-34s or KVs in the early part of the war, the Germans did not really have anything up their sleeves against these uber-armor except Tank Hunters and clever tactics. Check out this forum under Tips and Tricks section, there is a thread on 1941 Infantry/Tank tactics against KVs( http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001318 ). In addition, i have created a small movie on an anti-KV group comprising of sharpie, hunter and flammer ambushing a KV-1 tank.

http://www.web.ms11.net/retro/Trg-Anti-Tank-Ger.mov

The movie uses some of the concepts discussed in the above forum link.

HC ammo is nice to have around, but they come few and have a limited chance to hit. And moving an eggshell SP IG around a small map with all those ruskie ATRs is asking for trouble. AT guns (and IGs too) are quite hard to use on the offense. They are slow and when on the move, vulnerable. The only thing I trust when encountering ruskie heavies is infantry. Pioneers are the best choice. Tricky to use, getting close enough is quite hard, but smoke and suppressing the enemy infantry helps. Remember, that the monster KV can't be everywhere at once. Give it something to toy with, move into better positions and make it play the game on your rules.

Anyone ever tried the 20mm Vierling? I managed to take out a IS-3 with one of them (and one IS-2, several T-34, many lightly armoured vehicles in other games). Of course you won´t penetrate the heavy armour, but usually you will get some track hits which will immobilize the fat boy and after that sooner or later you will damage his gun. That´s it. No crew in CM stays inside an immobilized vehicle without main gun, no matter if the MGs still work.

You have to put the Vierling in some woods or deep in scattered trees, so your opponent will only get a sound contact (wich is often quite off the real position).

I got the impression that this tactic worked better before the patch as it now seems to take much longer before a gun hit is scored, but it still works.

A Vierling is always a good investment, as it provides good air cover, can take out any Russian vehicle, and it´s efficient against infantry.

Try it :D

[ December 16, 2002, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

Twenty green 20mm flaks will take care of the problem nicely, but then they take care of every problem nicely smile.gif

Kuebels can tow them and they are halfway capable of moving themself.

Fast 20mm or 45mm vehicles should do the job, too, shoot-and-scoot with several of them will make the KV :mad:

One tactic I've used successfully against a tight formation of two KV-1 and one KV-2 (unsupported) in the open was to;

1) overwhelm them with targets by shooting with a battery of 37mm ATGs and move a couple of light tank platoons in a fast pincer move to the left and right (to act as decoys).

2) speed a couple of Flammpanzer II almost straight at the KV tanks and make a BBQ.

I lost half a dozen or more of my light tanks and one flamer, but I won the battle!

Cheers

Olle

SATYR. Your advice paid off. The last QB I played , the Pioneer platoon I bought destroyed 4 AFV s, (3 Valentines). I was to aggressive with my 2 Flamers and they were wiped out by turn 6. Managed a minor victory, giving the Soviets a plus 10% in forces in an 800 point meeting engagement.