Did this newbie find a bug with on board mortar casualties??

I imagine others with more experience have found this bug and posted it before, but I just spent half an hour looking for a thread on it, and couldn't find one, so I post here on the unlikely chance that I'm the first to notice this.

In a scenario I'm currently playing, I managed to eliminate an infantry unit that was only identified as "infantry?". Once it was eliminated, the information on the unit (still not fully spotted) showed it as "Knocked Out", and not "Eliminated" like it usually does with KIA infantry units. Given that "Knocked Out" is a designation CMBO only gives to vehicles and guns, I now know that this unit was a mortar, yes??

If I'm right, there are several things that have to happen together for this bug to manifest itself: You have to wipe out an on board mortar that is only partially spotted, and then click on the dead unit to see the info. Given this, maybe I'm the first to notice. If so, than I'm happy to contribute to the continuing perfection of a great game. If others have brought this up before, sorry for the superfluous post.

Cheers,

YD