What to do under air attack?

I saw the other thread regarding taking action when getting shelled. Well, recently my troops were totally decimated by an air attack (bombs and straffing).

The map is a Winter map with pretty much open area; no place to hide. Aside from spreading my troops out the only other thing I could think of is laying down a lot of smoke.

(Does smoke work against air attacks? How does the AI resolve LOS from the air?)

Anyway, what should I have done? (By the way, I did not have any AAA assets. If I had, would they engage the attack aircraft or are you simply at its mercy?)

Thanks.

I don't know about the smoke, but if you have AA weapons they will fire on the airplane. 88s and 90mm cannons won't do so, but the other flak type weapons will.

I'm not sure about this, but I believe that parking vehicles in the narrow space between two buildings might help protect them from 500 lb bombs (if the buildings take some of the blast from a near miss on the other side).

Originally posted by CMplayer:

I don't know about the smoke, but if you have AA weapons they will fire on the airplane. 88s and 90mm cannons won't do so, but the other flak type weapons will.

I'm not sure about this, but I believe that parking vehicles in the narrow space between two buildings might help protect them from 500 lb bombs (if the buildings take some of the blast from a near miss on the other side).

I think this is correct, but it doesn't help with light vehicles against strafing. I played one game where I lost two halftracks parked between tall buildings to strafing air attacks.

I played a scenario where I had 2 quad 20mm flaks, 2 37mm flaks and a 88mm flak. The 20s and 37s will engage aircraft but not the 88s because they are flying to low. I shot down two enemy aircraft with the 20s and 37s. If you dont have anti-air assests than there is not much you can do. you can spread out your infantry and tanks and put them in forests or areas with alot of trees and tell them to hide.