CMBB, swift tank action

OK, guys its time to get soem CMBB tactics developed before the game gets a white beard.

My pet issue in CMBO all along was speed of vehicles, and especially tanks. Now that tanks are actually useful ( smile.gif ) it is even more important.

I was doing some racing across open ground with various (OK, almost all) of CMBB tanks. Aspects include: the T-34 is brutally fast. It is only bet by the STuart. I think that the Stuart, who's gun will now beat many vehicles in many timeframes of CMBB, will be one of the most powerful tools for decisive-movement type tank players. The Tiger family is as slow as ever. The Russians heavies are a lot faster. The Elefant/Fendinand is so slow that I am surprised that BFC gave it any movement at all and didn't rate it as an immobile pillbox, along the lines of the 88mm guns :D The British infantry tanks are hate-worthy as well. Most of the Axis light vehicles mounting a 150mm infantry gun are pretty fast, amoung the fastest in the game. I expect some quick and dirty strikes here, except if you run into antitank rifles, hehe. The T-34 based SP guns are reasonably swift, too, besides the SU-100 which beats the Jagdpanther easily, the SU-122 is fast, thick and furious. I expect it to be a very nastly opponent to

face, it can really ash from cover to cover and I think noone doubts that it can hurt if you cannot nail it. Axis players might like Marders if they want to be swift, the same is true for the thin-open top SU-76 variant. For some reason the Flammpanzer II is extremly fast. The Mk III and the Russian light/fast tanks are disappointing. Tankettes are cool, though smile.gif

The only problem I can see with 'swift tank action' is the new relentlessness of CMBB armoured action. Your dash ahead can well be the last thing you do, if you run into an opponent in ambush position. Light AT and ATRs are deadly, easily concealed, and available all war round. In a game I tested last night, one ATR stopped a flank move by the AI consisting of two Marders and one PSW 222.

Elsewhere on the map, a sharpshooter killed a sIG Ib. An infantry squad killed an AA HT. A Pueppchen shot up both my T34s (first shot hits at shortish ranges), an M17, and immobilised a SU76. I had to use Valentines to race across a bridge, into the enemy defenses - it was high drama I can tell you smile.gif

If you square up tanks against each other, I noticed it is no longer a plinking game. In one game against the AI I managed to lose three out of four advancing Panthers in one turn, and I thought I was being careful...

The sum of all the fears for the German player - run into a Pakfront based on 57mm ATGs. For the Soviets - Tigers in 1942...

I agree on all of it.

This doesn't really defeat my question, because I mainly use the speed of the faster vehicles to dash them from cover to cover. So no matter how dangerous the place is, swift tank should help a lot, maybe more, not less, so than in CMBO.

Playing the demo Schwerpunkt scenario it is also easy to see that choosing the right speed, the right formation and good judgement in preset turrets (cover arc) make allt he difference in the world.

And slow tanks are double bad for formation moves, every delay opens a pile of decisions to make whether to hold up the whole group, or loosen the formation, or splitting the unit, etc. pp.

Originally posted by Shosties4th:

What's cool about the Soviet tankettes? smile.gif

I actually used captured Finnish ones, maybe they behave better, but here is what I've seen:

They are fast and the MG does quite some damage. They have a turret so they can speed by units which they shoot at at the same time. The new MG effects ensure that neighbour enemy units are supressed as well. Since CM infantry is much more vulnerable from the sides, two tankettes passing one unit by on different sides at the same time will hurt them, certainly.

And ... they are cheap smile.gif

It shouldn't be surprising that the Russian light tanks are disappointing - the Russians themselves were disappointed in them! The T-34 was fast enough that there just wasn't much point in building a light tank; T-34s are as fast or faster than most nationalities' light tanks, I believe.

I'm surprised that people aren't finding the BT series to be significantly faster, though - perhaps on road only? I know it was a bit of an odd one in some ways.

Hope mine came in the mail today!

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shosties4th:

What's cool about the Soviet tankettes? smile.gif

I actually used captured Finnish ones, maybe they behave better, but here is what I've seen:

They are fast and the MG does quite some damage. They have a turret so they can speed by units which they shoot at at the same time. The new MG effects ensure that neighbour enemy units are supressed as well. Since CM infantry is much more vulnerable from the sides, two tankettes passing one unit by on different sides at the same time will hurt them, certainly.

And ... they are cheap smile.gif </font>

[about tankettes]

Seriously though, do they have reasonable response times to orders and can they keep in C&C in action?

The basic delay in CMBB is even much shorter than in CMBO, no problem here.

And I used single vehicles, not platoons, so C&C didn't apply either.

We all know what Finns can do with toothpicks.

They can clean their teeth??

I'm just trying to imagine what they could do with a tankette!

:eek: ;)

They can probably floss as well! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I played Jaegermeister as Russian, and all i can say is that it was indeed very swift tank action.

2 rounds after my charging the village i had 2 JS-2 left..., 1 Tiger accounted for 3 JS-2 and 2 SU-76 within 2 or 3 rounds. It was thrilling and devastating. I would have given all my JS-2 for 2 Veteran platoons of T-34/85 to charge the Hitlerits and teach them manners.

Greets

Daniel

Well, keep in mind the following:

1) Jaegermeister is the advanced tutorial, and the very manual says you'll be seeing heavy German armor....

and

2) Some of TSword's information is inaccurate. :D

So how much is really spoiled (especially in light of the latter)?

Originally posted by demoss:

So how much is really spoiled (especially in light of the latter)?

I clearly said I didn't read his post completely because I didn't want to get spoiled (I saved all CMBB scenarios for PBEM so far), I preferred to ask him.

[ October 09, 2002, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Just to add to my comment above, in a PBEM game I am playing right now my opponent was trying out this tactic (along with the rest of us trying out different tactics) with 3 T34/76's. The zoomed forward and engaged my infantry. Then my personal favorite StuG IIIF/8 came over the ridge and KO'd one. The other two then rushed towards him (it was under 300m) and each tried to flank him. But, he got both before they got on his sides. I see that more and more often. Patience has always been my rule with armor.

Chad