Artillery and Fog of War......Bug?!?!?

First, please forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Here's the situation:

My boys are advancing to contact and start getting chewed up by an infantry gun or ack-ack. They hit the deck and eventually run for cover losing visual contact with the gun (i.e., I get the nationality symbol in place of the gun). Everybody sits tight while the arty spotter radios in the location of the gun. In other words, he targets the last known position of the the gun. The arty spotter does not have eyes on the gun.

Sevevral minutes later, the position gets pounded by arty and after a near miss or direct hit, the nationality symbol changes to the gun image. When I click on the gun it says "knocked out."

Here's the question: If I don't have eyes on how do I know its knocked out? I would like somebody "in the know" to answer this, if possible.

Thanks.

When a unit dies... be it infantry, AT-GUN, AFV, or whatever.. If you have spotted it previously and you "kill it" or "KO" it, it will show up so that you can click on it. It is just the way it is... I can't explain why it is just that way. Only a minor problem if you ask me though..

Jeff

Originally posted by mrcitizenkane:

Maybe it is done that way because of game play. It could be burning etc too.

No, a burning unit that is out of action but not visable shows a collum of smoke but no unit. I blew a platoon of US halftracks that I had not spotted yet with a lucky 210mm rocket that fell right in the middle of the formation. I saw four smoke trails and flames, but no halftracks until the end of the battle.

As for the gun (that was spotted but you lost LOS), just think of the metal parts making large "crunch" and "bang" sounds and the crew screaming in terror as the arty round hits it. That's how you know it was destroyed. At least, that is how I rationalize it to myself. ;)

My boys are advancing to contact and start getting chewed up by an infantry gun or ack-ack.
what in the 9 heavens is a ack-ack?

I heard this in Hostile Waters (a solid underdog action game) and I thought it was something the pilot who spoke it made up. Now, it could mean a AA gun or a howitzer, or, I could be completely off the mark.

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />My boys are advancing to contact and start getting chewed up by an infantry gun or ack-ack.

I heard this in Hostile Waters (a solid underdog action game) and I thought it was something the pilot who spoke it made up. Now, it could mean a AA gun or a howitzer, or, I could be completely off the mark.</font>

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />My boys are advancing to contact and start getting chewed up by an infantry gun or ack-ack.

I heard this in Hostile Waters (a solid underdog action game) and I thought it was something the pilot who spoke it made up. Now, it could mean a AA gun or a howitzer, or, I could be completely off the mark.</font>

Originally posted by SGT_Gold:

Any aircraft artillery. It goes 'ack, ack, ack'.

I thought that too ... but ... the British phonetic alphabet through the early part of WWII had 'A' rendered as 'ack' ('B' was 'beer', teehee smile.gif ). So, AA pronounced phonetically would be 'ack ack'.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this could be the reason for it.

Regards

JonS

Vader's Jester,

I thought the same thing as you regarding crunching metal, screaming men, and exploding ammo. The problem is (and I haven't tested this) if I fire at a target 2 klicks away (admittedly a big map) and potentially get the same message. That seems a little unrealistic.

It's no big deal but it does make a difference for a turn or two. If I don't know if the gun has been blown then I probably have everyone sit tight while I send a few guys up to "sneak a peek." If I don't have to recon the site I can proceed with my plans 1-2 minutes earlier. That is a 3-7% time savings in a 30 minute battle!

[ February 08, 2002, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Urban Shocker ]