What scenarios is everyone working on?

I am currently working on three historical ones...

Hotton Belgium on December 23rd(?) with 116th Panzer elements trying to get to the Ourthe River Bridge.

Formulating ideas on a scenario near the Schnee Eifel on Dec 16th. German Parachute troops kick of the Bulge at Lanzerath. This is purely a fun one, based on limited sources.

Thinking about an Operation east and southeast of Hotton over a couple of days (dec 23-25?). Primarily centered on the Hotton-Soy road...

Of course only one good one will probably come out of these three....

Stoner

Working on several quick & dirty ones for TCP/IP play, none are historical though some are more realistic than others.

1) Panzer IVs & planes vs Shermans & planes. Kinda fun with the airborne equalization factor.

2) Heavy Mech Recon: Late war scenario pitting heavy mech recon with a little armored support against each other.

3) Attack my Dad's house: Still working on the map, have not picked units yet. German attack on the Rapidan River (VA).

4) A Good Night's Sleep: A cold snowy night. Two green companies. One nice warm town. You know the rest.

WWB

Edited because I forgot #4.

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

[This message has been edited by wwb_99 (edited 12-07-2000).]

Almost done with the first of a hoped-for series, a semi-historical "what-if" Von Luck's 21st Panzer elements were unleashed before dawn on D-Day instead of being frittered away around Caen later in the day. First one is breaking through the British 6th Airborne at Ranville and Pegasus Bridge, then the second tenatively a big meeting engagement between the Germans and the elements landing on Sword beach, and both sides being reinforced with arriving units until one side is spent... This second part may take the form of an operation, 6-8 battles over 2 days, haven't decided yet.

I tried to make it all one big op, but it didn't work out right with the reinforcements. I've gone through 3 different iterations of the first battle, trying to figure a good way to entice the Germans to get through the British airborne quickly to the exit, but still keep control of the roads for the reinforcements to follow. It looks like hell for the Brits, a couple companies of paras against many tanks and mounted panzergrenadiers, but the nighttime and some close country helps them slow the advance significantly. Almost ready for some testers on this one, just need to plan some reinforcements, especially paras popping up everywhere.

------------------

You see my orders were, "Don’t open fire unless we’re getting heavy fire from the pillboxes on the river". Well, it turned out that heavy fire to me and heavy fire to that lieutenant from the antiaircraft platoon, who never had been on the front-line in his life, was quite different.

Gen. DuPuy, 9th Infantry Division, crossing the Siegfried Line

Let's see...

Wrong Hill, coming out on the latest Boots N' Tracks page, next week.

Melee at Marvie, finalized, as yet unpublished

Manhay, on the Prowl, very small quick play

and one possible tourney scenario, Blood and Bocage.

And then there are the two new ones recently posted at Manx and Colin's websites.

TF Butler - Operation

http://www.combatmissions.co.uk/operations.htm

To the Last Man - Scenario

http://cm4mac.tripod.com/scenario.html

That is it for the moment. More to come, God willing

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

"Night Raid on Noirefonte" (sic)

My computer is packed away waiting until I find a new home in Massachusetts. I have the map (color copy of a 1940 Wehrmacht Topo 1:100000 scale) and books -- I just need the computer. This battle will depict a small part of the recon probe by the 551st PIB on Dec 26-27 during the Bulge just south of Trois Pont. I now have a digital camera so copying maps quickly will be a breeze.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Of historical scenarios, how many folks are using topographic maps?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm using actual terrain, from Kodiak Island, Alaska, where I live. Not off a topo map, just from memory. Don't know if anyone downloaded Invasion of Chiniak from CMHQ, but I'm working on a sequel, this time further down the Chiniak road. Both are interesting maps, and great practice for fighting in dense forests.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I am using a combination of memory and topo maps to do my battle (possibly operation) in the Rapidan River (VA).

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

I am very slowly working on yet another incarnation of Operation Market Garden, based on the Allied map.

I am also slowly developing a Cylon mod for CM, just to see if I can make those things look metallic.

I don't have my old ASL scenario sheets anymore, but if anyone can send me the OOB and setup for some scenarios I am willing to convert them, I have done one already.

I'm trying to post (see separate gnashing-of-teeth thread) a scenario I've been working on based on the historical experience of the 740th Tank Battalion. The battalion arrived in Belgium in November with no tanks. Because of high losses, the First Army had only 30 to 40 Shermans in reserve. Army agreed to issue nine Shermans, three light tanks, and two assault guns so that each platoon could

begin re-training. When the Battle of the Bulge began on 16 December, the battalion was ordered to turn its 9 Shermans over to the 745th Tank Battalion. Nevertheless,

on 18 December the 740th was ordered to the front. It was authorized to send an advance team to the Ordnance Vehicle Depot in Sprimont, Belgium, and draw any combat

vehicles it thought it could use.

At Sprimont, the battalion found three Shermans "ready," each missing key equipment. Battalion Service Company personnel got 15 of the 25 tanks in the depot to run by

cannibalizing the rest. Serviceable was a relative term--Sgt. John Thompson later recalled heading to the front with no breach block for his 75mm and no ammo for the 30 cals. Few vehicles had radios. The battalion assigned tank crews to the single M36 TD, several M10 TDs, and--when those ran out--M7 105mm assault guns. But it had the men of Lt. Powers' (demoted by the software to Sgt. Powers) platoon of Company C, who performed like elite troops in their first day of combat. Powers' Sherman nailed two Panthers in nose-to-noes encounters (This IS NOT very likely in CM!), and the M36 killed one. The rest beat feet, and Peiper's advance toward Liege stopped.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

Moi

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a good source for these maps? Are they free? =grin=

Thanks

Andy

I'm working on a few:

"A War of Blocks" -- ASL conversion, just about done. Based on ASL map.

"Kall Trail" -- Hurtgen forest b/w Engineers and 11th Panzer. Based on topographic.

"Kommerscheidt Day " -- More Hurtgen. Based on topographic and aerial recon photos.

"Vossenack" -- Again, Hurtgen. Based on topographic and aerial recon photos.

"Raffelsbrand" -- Last gasp of the 28th ID in the Hurtgen. Based on topographic and sketch maps.

"Towards Hurtgen" -- the town, they're already in the forest. Based on topographic maps.

Speaking of scenarios: I'm currently working of a fictional scenario in which the Axis player has to defend two bridges. Unfortunately it's too easy for the Germans to hold these bridges versus an AI player although the Allies have a force about three times as big as the Axis.

The problem is that the AI player tends to move his forces one by one over the bridges thus being an easy target for the defending infantry and AT guns.

Any suggestions? I already tried a search in the Scenario Talk forum but couldn't find any helpful hints.

------------------

laid to rest alive

waiting in a shallow grave

mines have learned patience

- Kurtz

Rührt euch!

[This message has been edited by Triggerhappy (edited 12-15-2000).]

Hey triggerhappy,

These are kinda gamet tactics but they might help...

I'd try to locate some small victory flags (for the allies) in positions where the AI can bring the key German positions under fire.

These flags may not be important for getting across the bridges but it might pull the AI towards good firing positions, maybe knock out a couple AT guns, and "open" up the bridges.

Also, if you are placing flags directly on the bridges, move those flags 'further on down the road.' Or skip any flags near the bridges and use one map edge as an ALLIED EXIT.

Hope these help

Stoner

Guest Mikey D

I've been experimenting on one named "Assassin". A single German sharpshooter threads his way through enemy lines to take out the Battalion commander sitting in the back of a truck in the middle of town. By definition, it can only be played from the German side against the AI.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triggerhappy:

Speaking of scenarios: I'm currently working of a fictional scenario in which the Axis player has to defend two bridges. Unfortunately it's too easy for the Germans to hold these bridges versus an AI player although the Allies have a force about three times as big as the Axis.

The problem is that the AI player tends to move his forces one by one over the bridges thus being an easy target for the defending infantry and AT guns.

Any suggestions? I already tried a search in the Scenario Talk forum but couldn't find any helpful hints.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Triggerhappy,

Try giving the Allies a few 81mm mortar spotters with a fare amount of ammo. Hide them in spots where they can see the German AT assets across the river. Then place a Greyhound or other light/scout up front so it will be the first thing seen by the German AT assets. This will most likely cause the German AI to expose his guns so the mortar spotters can lay in some smoke (which the AI does pretty well). Don't use anything larger than the 81mm because the AI likes to save the big stuff for HE rather than smoke. The trick is to space the bulk of the force at the right spot so they cross the bridges just after smoke has been laid down. This will take some experimentation. You may have to setup the forward scouts to take a round right from the start (place them within LOS of the German guns at the start). Also provide good tree coverage around the bridge approaches (but not too much as to restrict movement and cause a traffic jam).

I'm looking forward to seeing your scenario,

GP

It's always worth checking at the local college or university library. Most have a map room that will contain at least 1:100,000 scale topo maps. University of Maryland, for instance, has maps ranging from 1:25,000 to 1:100,000 maps of a variety of countries in Europe. If you have a specific area in mind, you can get a color copy of the section (enlarged, if you wish) for only a US$1.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

Is there a good source for these maps? Are they free? =grin=

Thanks

Andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>