MG42 HMG vs. light armor!

and plain werhmacht plattons can take out jumbo shermans, and shermans can take out tigers, and britsh machine guns can take out german half tracks, and germans half stracks can take out american jeeps and american jeeps can take out thier own windshields. this game rocks because it's as realistic as a game is going to get. there is not hint of the linear and single minded "strategy" of the pre fabricated automatic voctories of certain units against certain units in the ever annoying real time "stratedgy" gam,es

This anti-light armor capability of the MG42 HMG was a big deal to me...I was playing a Heer defense vs. the AI, and had already lost all of my AT assets (vet. Pak43, 2 StuG, 1 'schreck), KO'ing 1 M4A1-76 and two M4 Shermans, leaving 2 more M4's, 2 M5A1 HT, and 2 M20 Utility Cars to deconstruct my defense (plus I only had Faust-30's). So killing two HT's w/ MG42's was a most pleasant surprise.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ciks:

M2 can take out Panzer IV from behind if close enough.<hr></blockquote>

Shatter here

I had some doubt as to this being possible so a did numerous test on several tanks.

Test was with a pair of 50cals firing on each Tank type from 30 to 35 meters, firing on the rear of the tanks.

Here is the results

All Panzer MarkIV types no problem for the 50cal to take out at close range from the rear.

Jagdpanzer all types = KO

Hetzer = KO

Lynx = KO

Hotchkiss = KO

Wirbelwind & Ostelwind = KO

Sturmgeshultz all tpyes = KO

(Although it took around 10 test or so, to knock out each type. Abandoning was more common).

Panther & Jagdpanther = No KO's

(After a $h_t load of test finally achieved Gun Damage and then Abandoned)

Did not waste my time on Tigers, King Tigers or JagdTiger since they all have thicker rear armor than Panthers

So I figure af close ranges the 50cal (at least from the standpoint of CM) can punch through at least 30mm of armor.

I was really suprised to see the 50cal. can take out some of the lighter German Tanks. Never again will I do one of these test, to time consuming

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]</p>

• 2 months later...

The Pz IV based stuff with the 20mm rear armor is vulnerable to close .50cal. That includes the StuG IV.

I have not been able to KO a StuG III with a .50cal test, are you sure?

And yes, halftracks die from MG42. In halftrack duels you better keep the distance with your M3A1.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ciks:

Thanks Shatter for additional info.

(suddenly you look with some respect at your .50-carrying halftracks) ;) <hr></blockquote>

Now if the crew would only stay in the damn thing long enough to shoot at something

smile.gif

BAH. Gamey tests. Learn this stuff in the field. I played a tourney battle where my opponent had a bunch of flamethrowing Hetzers; I toasted several of them with my .50 cal halftracks (it was a night battle, so I could get in close.)

I also emailed BTS with a bug report when a PIAT fired at a Marder II, hit it, destroyed it, but the kill did not register on the kill screen.

Further investigation showed that the PIAT bomb hit the Marder II at the precise instant in time as the AA MG on a Sherman fired it's .50 into the side armor. The kill registered on the Sherman's kill screen.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]</p>

I'd like to quote Patton on this topic: (this is quoted from memory, accuracy might not be complete, but the jist is correct.)

"The two worst causes of casualties for us are the Jeep and the Halftrack. The jeep is one because these kids go out joyriding in it and wreck 'em, and the halftrack because the drivers think their in tanks and act invelnerable."

Not knowing just what your vehicle can and cannot take is very very dangerous. And, if an MG42 can penetrate a halftrack, then so can rifle fire.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

The Pz IV based stuff with the 20mm rear armor is vulnerable to close .50cal. That includes the StuG IV.

I have not been able to KO a StuG III with a .50cal test, are you sure?

And yes, halftracks die from MG42. In halftrack duels you better keep the distance with your M3A1.<hr></blockquote>

Sturmgeshultz all tpyes = KO

(Although it took around 10 test or so, to knock out each type. Abandoning was more common).

Yes I was able to take out a Stug with a 50. cal but as I said it took 10 test or so.

Michael Dorosh as for being a gamey test you are right, but I wanted to see if it was possible. Before this test in a last ditch effort I would never tried to take on a Stug with a 50 cal . I would of just withdrawn my team or halftrack. Now at least if the opportunity is their, I know the option is even if is slim.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Shatter ]</p>