Dcember CMBB rewiev in PCZONE

This guy from Pczone is a total fool! and sure doesn’t know his ass from his elbow when it comes to reviewing quality war gaming software.

I’m sorry I but that has to be said. I may not have been playing Combat mission 2 for all that long , but I’ have been play computer wargames for over 20 years. I wonder how long that fool has been playing them, not long I bet.

I think Pczone should have him stick to reviewing Barbie Fashion designer or somthing. :mad:

This guy from Pczone is a total fool! and sure doesn’t know his ass from his elbow when it comes to reviewing quality war gaming software.

I’m sorry I but that has to be said. I may not have been playing Combat mission 2 for all that long , but I’ have been play computer wargames for over 20 years. I wonder how long that fool has been playing them, not long I bet.

I think Pczone should have him stick to reviewing Barbie Fashion designer or somthing. :mad:

Originally posted by Rostik:

I didn't play Steel Beasts but they said one thing about it, that ''Running around your backyard with an old bit of pipe''-is much better.

'' Actually far more realistic than Steel Beasts and a lot more fun, although it'll make you dizzy after a while.'' :D

Perhaps he should e-mail that "expert" opinion to the US Army, as they use it(as in actually use it) for training. SB is generally acknowledged among those who at least have a clue what they are talking about as the best PC tank sim ever written.

Sums that rag up, really. Clueless. "Realism" in their book is based purely on eye candy - whether the simulated vehicle actually behaves like a tank and whether gunnery and ballistics are accurately re-created is an irrelevance. The graphics in SB are very dated (it is three years old now, this was a first and belated UK release). No weather effects, 640*480, no air support, blah, blah - all true, and that's what the score was based on. Who cares if the tanks actually behave like real tanks, and that the only way to win is to use real armour tactics ?

It just infuriates me that people (who knows, maybe the Challenger 2 commanders of the future ?) will be put off buying it after reading that ignorant garbage. Maybe SB2 (incoming, albeit slowly) will have eye candy sufficient to please them. Either way, a PC Zone review is unlikely to affect my purchase decision.

[ December 14, 2002, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Hertston ]

Originally posted by Rostik:

I didn't play Steel Beasts but they said one thing about it, that ''Running around your backyard with an old bit of pipe''-is much better.

'' Actually far more realistic than Steel Beasts and a lot more fun, although it'll make you dizzy after a while.'' :D

Perhaps he should e-mail that "expert" opinion to the US Army, as they use it(as in actually use it) for training. SB is generally acknowledged among those who at least have a clue what they are talking about as the best PC tank sim ever written.

Sums that rag up, really. Clueless. "Realism" in their book is based purely on eye candy - whether the simulated vehicle actually behaves like a tank and whether gunnery and ballistics are accurately re-created is an irrelevance. The graphics in SB are very dated (it is three years old now, this was a first and belated UK release). No weather effects, 640*480, no air support, blah, blah - all true, and that's what the score was based on. Who cares if the tanks actually behave like real tanks, and that the only way to win is to use real armour tactics ?

It just infuriates me that people (who knows, maybe the Challenger 2 commanders of the future ?) will be put off buying it after reading that ignorant garbage. Maybe SB2 (incoming, albeit slowly) will have eye candy sufficient to please them. Either way, a PC Zone review is unlikely to affect my purchase decision.

[ December 14, 2002, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Hertston ]

Originally posted by TerrorX:

I think the reviewer was just a little pissed that there were no harvesters and such in the game.

This is a word for word copy of the exact same "review" I posted a few days ago.

Nice to see that all the historical and factual errors were preserved as well.

Note: I just looked at the scanned magazine image again. They missspelled "Style" with an extra e.

Originally posted by TerrorX:

I think the reviewer was just a little pissed that there were no harvesters and such in the game.

This is a word for word copy of the exact same "review" I posted a few days ago.

Nice to see that all the historical and factual errors were preserved as well.

Note: I just looked at the scanned magazine image again. They missspelled "Style" with an extra e.

Wasn't this the idiot who wrote that there was no multi-player? This appears to suggest that he didn't even play the game before reviewing it.

I've only read PC Zone a couple of times, it makes the UK version of PC Gamer look like the height of professionalism - they at least play the beta before reviewing a game.

BTW Nippy 'Stylee' is an annoying affectation rather than a misprint. The writer is trying to pretend he understands 'youth culture'; I doubt he understands tieing his own shoelaces.

[ December 15, 2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Wasn't this the idiot who wrote that there was no multi-player? This appears to suggest that he didn't even play the game before reviewing it.

I've only read PC Zone a couple of times, it makes the UK version of PC Gamer look like the height of professionalism - they at least play the beta before reviewing a game.

BTW Nippy 'Stylee' is an annoying affectation rather than a misprint. The writer is trying to pretend he understands 'youth culture'; I doubt he understands tieing his own shoelaces.

[ December 15, 2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Lest we forgot what he said - see signature at bottom. Touche!

header_Winelands02.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

</font>

I have never read a review that made me less sure of humanity's ability to finish out the decade, let alone the next millenium.

Obviously this 'Reviewer' [of CMBB] is capable of using a computer, and even finding employment (or at least the right to display their almost inspired lack of intelligence under the auspices of an organization), but it's equally clear that they're both incapable, and unashamed of their inability, to actually come to grips with something that requires more intelligent focus and mental participation than an arcade game. On this planet thousands are daily made homeless, crippled, and even killed in pointless and heart-rending incidents of poltical, ethnic and religious conflict. If any such incident had managed to whack this reviewer, we'd have to consider it worth the anguishSeanachai, CMBB Forum, 10/12/2002.

Lest we forgot what he said - see signature at bottom. Touche!

header_Winelands02.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

</font>

I have never read a review that made me less sure of humanity's ability to finish out the decade, let alone the next millenium.

Obviously this 'Reviewer' [of CMBB] is capable of using a computer, and even finding employment (or at least the right to display their almost inspired lack of intelligence under the auspices of an organization), but it's equally clear that they're both incapable, and unashamed of their inability, to actually come to grips with something that requires more intelligent focus and mental participation than an arcade game. On this planet thousands are daily made homeless, crippled, and even killed in pointless and heart-rending incidents of poltical, ethnic and religious conflict. If any such incident had managed to whack this reviewer, we'd have to consider it worth the anguishSeanachai, CMBB Forum, 10/12/2002.

Oh but that's the same lame review that was online and we discussed already ?

One full column where he try to guess who developed and who publish the game ...

Things very talkative about the reviewer mental age, such as :

"No weapons upgrade..."

"Campaign where you turn your men into killing machines..."

Total BS ! :mad: I rate this review 11 % it isn't worth half of their Steel Beasts score ... :rolleyes:

Oh but that's the same lame review that was online and we discussed already ?

One full column where he try to guess who developed and who publish the game ...

Things very talkative about the reviewer mental age, such as :

"No weapons upgrade..."

"Campaign where you turn your men into killing machines..."

Total BS ! :mad: I rate this review 11 % it isn't worth half of their Steel Beasts score ... :rolleyes: