Crocodiles. How to make them bite?

A quick noobie question: when using a Crocodile against infantry, how can I "persuade" it to use flame rather than it's main gun?

I mean naively speaking, being say, for example, 28 metres from an infantry squad, and face on, I would expect my Sherman Croc to use flame, not it's main weapon.

Moreover, being 13m from a 75mm AT pillbox, out of it's line of fire, but "in front" of it, I'd rather hoped my Croc would flame it. It seems reluctant to do so.

Is it just being environmentally friendly?

Or does it need a Tiger in it's tank?

Originally posted by Bloodshot:

That's all I can think of for now. Is there anyone else in agreement with me, or am I just a stubborn old fart?

Well...I find myself wondering what the rest of us without Wonder Mice are supposed to do.

BTW, it's probably a matter of personal taste, but I really, really wish that instead of panning when you move the cursor to the left or right edges of the screen, the picture would shift left or right. The present set-up just doesn't come across as intuitive to me and after over a year and a half I still haven't gotten used to it.

Michael

Yike! The BB is doing weird things again! I woke up in the wrong thread! Someboody get me outta here! :eek: :eek: :eek:

[ March 11, 2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

A quick noobie question: when using a Crocodile against infantry, how can I "persuade" it to use flame rather than it's main gun?
One tip: Be sure the Crocodile isn't hull-down to the target. I had it happen a few times where a slight hill meant the hull mounted flame thrower couldn't see the target.

When you target the enemy, make sure they are in range, you are not hull down to them and when it ask you the 'Use main weapon' choose No, then break out the steaks 'cause it's BBQ time.

[ March 12, 2002, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Caesar ]

Be extremely carefull when using flamthrower tanks in the night battles – the flame hits anywhere except where you want to, something like 90 degrees in front of the tank, so never have your infantry in front of the FT tank in night battles. Same applies to infantry FT but to lesser extent due to shorter range.

Important tactical tip!

Crocodiles can't bite unless kept alive. Therefore:

Keep them away from Panzerschrecks and Panzerfausts 30 and up. Both can kill your Croc frontally when even a Pak 40 can't. I speak from bitter experience here. The Croc's armor will take multiple hits from that AT gun at spitting distance (barring the dreaded Golden BB hits), but one hit from that manportable AT weaponry and it's over.

Don't buy them for night battles, especially among buildings. The reason is simple--infantry in CMBO is marginal at best in suppressing manportable antitank weapons in broad daylight, but hopeless at night. If you're close enough to flame, you're lunch.

Crew quality is important. Buy veteran or better. You're already paying a premium for the capabilities, so why not get full benefit from your tracked dragon? I've seen a veteran Croc survive

point blank fire from a Pak 40 pillbox, win the duel, become immobilized, then go on to destroy a log MG pillbox, shoot up several AT teams and smash a string of AFVs in a blistering duel. I've seen another one advance into the teeth of an AT pillbox, trading shots throughout, take multiple hits, and destroy the pillbox. Do NOT try this with AVREs, at least as implemented presently in CMBO. You'll DIE.

Watch for sharpshooters and other threats. If your Croc buttons, assume the TC had a good reason for doing so. Kill whatever's shooting at you first, then unbutton. If TCs are valuable, a veteran Croc commander's solid gold. Treat him accordingly. Naturally, sometimes you have to take big chances, but do so only when forced.

Protect the Croc.

Armed with the above, go bite someone!

Regards,

John Kettler

Make Sure you are within Range tongue.gif

I've had battles where my damn croc decided to move according to his own ideas and sat for a whole 30 odd seconds just outside flame range of a nice foxhole filled with troops. Surpress them with the 75mm, yes, then torch the krauts! Not more HE.

Oh the agony

Originally posted by John Kettler:

I've seen a veteran Croc survive

point blank fire from a Pak 40 pillbox, win the duel, become immobilized, then go on to destroy a log MG pillbox, shoot up several AT teams and smash a string of AFVs in a blistering duel.

DOH! Must you bring that up again? :mad:

Oh dear! I seem to have triggered another PTSD episode in Kingfish. Such wasn't my intention, but my Crocodile experience is rather limited, and he

was part of it. He conveniently forgets, though, how many of his actions led to mine and the unspeakable things he did to my troops.

Regards,

John Kettler