File size of future mods

As the release date of CMBB nears and all moders are no doubt dying to get at all the new vehicles,terrain etc may I humbly ask that any large mod zip file be divided up into smaller chunks of about 12-14 Megs. I say this as not all of us have access to ISDN lines or permanent connection setups especially here in poor old England-It`s far too expensive!

Hmm? 12 to 14 MB is frickin' huge!! There isn't a single CM:BO mod of that size (except of course the 'theatre conversions.') I don't see any reason why future mods should become as large as that...

But, oh well, okay. I promise... I guess. ;)

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

In line with all of that -- why are the files in CM .bmp files? .JPG files are a lot smaller - I would think the use of .jpgs would allow you to do more detailed modding at lower memory costs.

Steve

Warning Photoshop Grogginess smile.gif

JPEGs are out because the pinking for transparency i.e around tank wheels and tracks etc. cannot be fuzzy, anti-aliased or have compression artifacts. The BMP file type preserve the pure pink individual pixels necessary for this effect.

[ September 10, 2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by Moon:

BTW, we have found that using BMPs in conjunction with RAR compression greatly reduces filesize for some reason. So this might be a good way to distribute mods for CMBB in the future.

Martin

Moon you said "RAR compression", I haven't seen that option in Photoshop, could you find the time to be more groggy?

;)

Trying to keep track of this thread and Saving Private Ryan on the box - the sticky bombs and lack off field manuals bit...they should stick?? It's all happening 'ere in the Uk

What Moon means is using RAR file compression, as opposed to the more common ZIP compression. It is not an option coming out of photoshop, as it is a compression algorythym/file format rather than a graphics compression format.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

What Moon means is using RAR file compression, as opposed to the more common ZIP compression. It is not an option coming out of photoshop, as it is a compression algorythym/file format rather than a graphics compression format.

WWB

I commonly use LZW TIFF file compression but RAR seems to be P(olitically ) C(orrect) only... ;) . Never seen a RAR or had to play with them on a Mac. I can deal with zipped files and the Mac .sit (don't see much bmp compression in zipping) through Aladdin's Stuffit deluxe .

file compression types

Originally posted by Wicky:

I commonly use LZW TIFF file compression but RAR seems to be P(olitically ) C(orrect) only... ;) . Never seen a RAR or had to play with them on a Mac. I can deal with zipped files and the Mac .sit (don't see much bmp compression in zipping) through Aladdin's Stuffit deluxe .

file compression types

Wicky, If you look at the page that you linked to, you'll notice that it states that RAR archives can be opened with Aladdin's Stuffit Deluxe. Also, I don't see anything about ACE compression there. I guess this rules out using WinACE, as Mac owners don't seem to be able to handle ACE archives.

Originally posted by Pud:

Yes, ace is rarely used, but I did find a link for macs, not sure how well the app works (if interested)

http://www.macwindows.com/compress.html

Good work digging up the link for the Mac ACE program. I also noticed that the info for StuffIt on this page claims that it can handle the ACE format. However, the home page for StuffIt does not make this claim. Weird.

BTW I'd just like to point out that my grass mod for both CMBO and CMBB is available on Zee's site in RAR format. Here's the URL for the download page: http://www.cmbbhq.net/scenery.html

I used RAR as it reduced the download size from 10MB for the zip version to just 6MB.

Gratuitous plug, I know... ;)