The Nordic Championships (Part III)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy Ho to Ye All!

As a little lazy forum-reader, I wasn't aware of Nordic Championships being played. Have any idea about the future games?

I might be interested in taking some beating in not-so-distant-future from fellow scandinavians :D (or is this just a closed friends-kinda thing? :confused: ).

Originally posted by BaD JoKe:

As a little lazy forum-reader, I wasn't aware of Nordic Championships being played. Have any idea about the future games?

Well, I think we might have something similar after the arrival of CMBB.

The Nordic Championships was the first tournament in which we tested a new concept of (possibly) unbalanced scenarios in CM tournaments. The idea has stood up quite well in this tournament and others as well. So I think that after you've played a while with CMBB we might have a European Championships tournament along similar lines.

[ August 17, 2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Nabla ]

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, Ari, I think it's just about time to declare you the winner of the Nordic Championships. I'm surprised we actually lost players in the finals.

Let's give it a few more days and see who shows up. It might be that Mattias is still with us. If true, I don't know how we would score this thing. Maybe we should have a CMBB QB playoff (one game).

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Ari Maenpaa:

But still VERY little activity here. Only Mattias has sent some turns, but even he went AWOL over a week ago. Nothing from Tuomas or Cogust. C'mon!

Well, that was after you went away for even longer, wasn't it smile.gif

Really though, we should get this one done. You'll get the next turn tomorrow.

M.

Originally posted by Mattias:

Well, that was after you went away for even longer, wasn't it smile.gif

Yep, that's true, but at least I informed about the break as can be seen above. Anyway that "c'mon" was mostly dedicated to Tuomas as I have lost my faith in Conny's return.

Really though, we should get this one done. You'll get the next turn tomorrow.
Great, but on the other hand what good that will do if the scoring can't be done anyway?

Ari

An e-mail contact made with Tuomas.

Seems that he is still interested in the championship. Let's see if he has anything to add to this discussion smile.gif

Otherwise I'm ready to play against Mattias in CM:BB QB. Even though that would be quite an anti-climax considering how great the tourney has been so far.

Ari

Hmmm....we definitely have a problem here. We would have to start the finals over completely with just the three of you and NEW scenarios to do it right. This is a real shame because the two scenarios Nabla created are quite good, judging by feedback from the Wannabee Tournament.

I can't think of any other way to have a fair playoff. These tourneys just can't stand up to dropouts near the end or in the finals.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Tuomas:

What aboput using those wannabee results as a yardstick for our results? It is clear that all of us will finish only two games because Cogust is missing. If I'm not making my self clear please ask, I'm afraid I had a bit of the drink today.

-TNT-

Clear as an empty glass. Put those turns coming...

Ari

Originally posted by Tuomas:

What aboput using those wannabee results as a yardstick for our results? It is clear that all of us will finish only two games because Cogust is missing. If I'm not making my self clear please ask, I'm afraid I had a bit of the drink today.

-TNT-

I don't understand how this would work. Each scenario was played only two times in total by the Wannabee Finalists. This would not give us an accurate median. Plus, the scenarios you guys are playing are not the same. You are each playing two of three, but not the same two. I just don't see how the Wannabee results can help here. Maybe I'm missing something?

Treeburst155 out.

Hey here is an idea! Everyone has an unfinished game with Cogust, right? And everyone will finish just two games and we can't compare these to anything. I think that if we would finish Cogusts games like this:

#Fluid

Tuomas vs. Mattias

#Twin valleys

Ari vs. Mattias

#Kriegestadt

Tuomas vs. Ari

Then you could compare the results between me and Ari in Fluid betweeen Ari and Mattias in Kriegestadt and between Mattias and me in Twin valleys. What do you think?

-TNT-

Hmmmm...this plan would give us a schedule that looks like this (Allied Player on the left):

"Fluid"

Tuomas vs Mattias

Ari vs Mattias

"Twin Valleys"

Ari vs Tuomas

Ari vs Mattias

"Kriegstadt"

Tuomas vs Mattias

Tuomas vs Ari

The only thing is that every player will have to play one scenario twice from the same side, AND the second opponent will be at a disadvantage since his opponent will already know the scenario. BUT, if everyone finishes the games they are playing now, before they start their "Cogust" game, then all will have the advantage in one scenario. If they don't mind doing this then I'm all for it. smile.gif Very good, Tuomas. It took me awhile to figure it out.

Treeburst155 out.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what I think we should do. First we find a fourth person, preferably from a Nordic country, who is NOT playing in the ROW II Finals. Then I will generate a schedule for you guys, and you will play the ROW Finals scenarios.

I currently have eleven groups of four playing the ROW II scenarios. The Nordic Champs would just make up another group. You will be scored using the full Nabla system since we will have enough results to obtain good median scores. The high score among you four is declared the Nordic Champ and wins the South African wines generously provided by WineCape.

IOW, we start the playoffs over with a replacement. :D Luckily we have scenarios, so we can do this. COGUST!!!! This is all your fault.

Treeburst155 out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Resolving the winner with CMBB is fine with me. However does everyone have CMBB? Everyone atleast should, but if you think that you are not familliar with CMBB yet please say so. So what do we need? We need a replacement for Cogust and three scenarios. Right?

Not necessarily we can do away the fourth player by using the schedule I posted above. And we could do away the scenarios by making few quickbattle maps and use the map import function to get those games going. Allthough I think it would be better to use scenarios.

Please, Mattias and Ari, tell us what you think.

-TNT-

ps. Could the Fog of War be lifted from these finalist scenarios? I would like to know all the passwords and discuss about these scenarios!

[Edited because I can!]

[ December 01, 2002, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Tuomas ]