The Newbie Tournaments III

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Dave H,

Your on buddy! Once we are both out, how bout a double blind scenario? Even better: If you have played Ted's Blood and Steel , we can duke it out in that one! :cool:

Done! Now that I've seen just what SuperTed is capable of doing to a player in Give & Take, this Nothing Special scenario smells like a disaster waiting to happen. So my downfall may come very quickly.

Since the only scenarios I have played which aren't on the CD are the ones in this tournament, I'm sure there's something available. Maybe something a little less spectacular than Blood and Steel, though. That scenario seems to be driving some players slightly loony.

I guess I had better get into this blood and steel thing. I hate having nothing to talk about at cocktail parties - everybody gets mad at me 'cause I drink all the beer (but then I got somthing to talk about) and anyways...

Ted I would like to take a crack at it.

Anybody out there wanna PBEM? you can drop me a note.

Originally posted by Austin Bowie:

I guess I had better get into this blood and steel thing. I hate having nothing to talk about at cocktail parties - everybody gets mad at me 'cause I drink all the beer (but then I got somthing to talk about) and anyways...

Ted I would like to take a crack at it.

Anybody out there wanna PBEM? you can drop me a note.

Beware of Drunken Master [Austin]. He says he is a newbie, but it is a well concived lie. His tactical abilities increase with each sip he takes from the bottle.

Dave H,

I have a couple PBEM scenarios for us if you want to have a go. We can wait until the tourney is over, or start now. The scenario I'd like to try is Schwarzwald Bridge . I played another scenario PBEM from this designer called Too Little, Too Late, at it was really fun! I have not opened up Schwarzwald yet, so we would be going in double-blind.

Lemmie know. And let me know if you want to play as Germans, or on Defence, or whatever your prefs are.

Dave H,

I have a couple PBEM scenarios for us if you want to have a go. We can wait until the tourney is over, or start now. The scenario I'd like to try is Schwarzwald Bridge . I played another scenario PBEM from this designer called Too Little, Too Late, at it was really fun! I have not opened up Schwarzwald yet, so we would be going in double-blind.

Lemmie know. And let me know if you want to play as Germans, or on Defence, or whatever your prefs are.

Splash and I are completing our last couple of turns in Give & Take, and we've just started on Nothing Special, so I need to beg off for a while. Let me finish losing in the tournament first, and then you're on. And as far as preferences, I like conscripts and green soldiers, because they remind me of myself. They're cowards and they don't follow directions well. :D:D

Originally posted by dfgardner:

Blood and Steel is nothing more than an leisurely drive through the countryside, filled with yellow daffodils, birds singing merrily, and puffy white clouds framed in an azure sky.

Of course, I also believe in the tooth fairly and Tinkerbell.

My intelligence sources tell me that the Tooth Fairy featured in "Blood and Steel" has large fangs and sharp, hooked claws.

[ February 20, 2002, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Gottcha Dave. I'll bug ya after we're both knocked out (for me that should be real soon) smile.gif

This may take longer than I thought. I was hoping for a tie against Splash, because he was pulverizing my guys (not to mention the town) with his tank. I can't imagine how the score was so lopsided.

Originally posted by Dave H:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Gottcha Dave. I'll bug ya after we're both knocked out (for me that should be real soon) smile.gif

This may take longer than I thought. I was hoping for a tie against Splash, because he was pulverizing my guys (not to mention the town) with his tank. I can't imagine how the score was so lopsided.</font>

I know this is a little bit late, but I want to add my .02 on Give and takes balance. I played the German side and lost 67-33 to Witco. Though I must say the game was closer than the score indicated. For Newbies, I think the German side is more difficult to play because you have to think pretty far ahead to get the old farts to do what you want. However, I bet if a couple really experienced players tried it, the results would be pretty even or maybe even tilt a little towards the Germans. You have so many troops, if used effectively you can bleed the Canadians dry.

We are going to put my theory to test and play it again from the other side once we are through this round.

Cheers,

Chris

My 2 cents on Give & Take:

With such a small battle (about 1100 pts for each side I think), the 1 large flag worth 300 pts swings the battle about 25-30 final score pts. if one side controls it [in my game, it was uncontrolled, so our score added up to only 76pts (38-38)]. I'm certainly not complaining, since it was great, great fun.

Anyhow, the scores would be more balanced, and the tactical options more enriching, if there had been 3 small flags (100pts each, adding up to the 300pts of the large flag) spaced laterally across the map.

Still quite a fun scenario...regardless of any lopsided scores. I'm glad Ted threw in a "snowball fight," b/c I usually avoid them like the plague and specify "no snow" in my few pbem games. It was nerve-racking to have to risk immobilization when my Sherman had to go off-road to get a better firing position in the late-going.

[ February 22, 2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

In my humble opininion, three small flags in Give and Take could be a disaster for the Canadians. They barely have the troops to control one flag, three would be out of limits. That is, if the German player doesn't challenge all the flags in three groups but instead targets one or two and leapfrogs. I hardly ever try all the flags if there are several, you can win without them as long as you inflict damage and control some. The cranky old Germans would end up controlling two by just the sheer weight of numbers. IMHO, the Canadians can't spread their forces that much, the company has to keep a tight formation covering each other, otherwise, they will get overpowered.

I might be wrong too. It ought to be tested =)

Maybe the conscripts are so hard to handle you can't make any concentrated effort at all, which would support more flags. I don't know, I've only played green troops and they did what I wanted, albeit slowly.

Originally posted by Ligur:

In my humble opininion, three small flags in Give and Take could be a disaster for the Canadians. They barely have the troops to control one flag, three would be out of limits ... The cranky old Germans would end up controlling two by just the sheer weight of numbers. IMHO, the Canadians can't spread their forces that much, the company has to keep a tight formation covering each other, otherwise, they will get overpowered.

I agree. As I said in my AAR, I think when Splash

divided his forces he lost the critical mass to overcome the hordes of Germans. No matter how poor the quality of the troops, 36 squads armed with LMGs, automatic weapons, and 60-70 panzerfausts represent a lot of firepower. Plus there are lots of buildings to defend. When I sent my results to SuperTed, I told him in my opinion the scenario was somewhat unbalanced in favor of the Germans. Even though the Germans are fragile, this is a case of quantity creating its own quality. However, if the German player is impatient with his troops and expects them to act like veterans, he can throw away all his advantages. tongue.gif

Originally posted by SuperTed:

Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out which side this scenario favors, and I see the answer is eluding the group as well. I wonder if that means it could actually be balanced the way it is! :eek:

No, no, I'm sure that's not right. :D

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dfgardner:

Blood and Steel is nothing more than an leisurely drive through the countryside, filled with yellow daffodils, birds singing merrily, and puffy white clouds framed in an azure sky.

Of course, I also believe in the tooth fairly and Tinkerbell.

My intelligence sources tell me that the Tooth Fairy featured in "Blood and Steel" has large fangs and sharp, hooked claws.</font>

Another game comes to and end. White4 and me just finished Nothing Fancy. I have seen that SuperTed haven't posted the results here. I don't know if he has a good reason or ... hey Ted! Did you received my e-mail with the last turn?