The Newbie Tournaments III

I for one have a more pressing concern: Leta and I look like we will tie in Blood and Steel. This, of course, is unacceptable! So, instead of getting SuperTed all riled up about tourney scoring (you KNOW he can't count that high), I would like to distract him for a second. SuperTed, could you please apply a few seconds of scenario creation thought to this question: Given the fact that we want a fair scenario, involving tanks and stuff:

What is the scenario that would most make you shudder? Something that perhaps leaks radioactivity? Something SMALLER than blood and steel? God help us, we've been doing 2-4 turns a day, and we are still only on turn 43 of 80, Letas just recieved his fourth set of reinforcements, the lines of burning tanks go for miles in all directions, wandering crews get lost and perish of thirst, my tanks are running low on AP ammo, I'm loosing my mind, and shermies are getting 2 shots with no reply from STUGs that have run out of gas, NOOOOOOOoooooooo.......

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dave H:

I'm not worried about any imbalance between the forces. Maybe the real imbalance is between the players commanding the Canadians and the Germans.

So what you are saying DaveH, is if you are given a platoon of US paras with say...one zook team, and I am given a company of Panthers, and you are to hold the town, you would be satisfied with the results of our game? tongue.gif

Balance is important in a tournament setting. In standard matches or vs the AI, no. But it is important in a tournament. Even my opponent agrees, and he gained a HUGE victory playing as the Cans. And had I been the Cans I would have asked for a redo anyway. The players skills can be enhanced/crippled by poor balance. Would you like to watch a football game where your favorit team was restricted to using spectators from the crowd as it's players? ;)

Things don't have to be perfectly balanced, just relitivly so. And Chess is not perfectly balanced either, because the person that has to make the first move is at a disadvantage. He displays what kind of a player he is through his first choice of movement before he even knows what the other player's intentions/abilities are.

[ February 15, 2002, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Originally posted by White4:

I for one have a more pressing concern: Leta and I look like we will tie in Blood and Steel. This, of course, is unacceptable! So, instead of getting SuperTed all riled up about tourney scoring (you KNOW he can't count that high), I would like to distract him for a second. SuperTed, could you please apply a few seconds of scenario creation thought to this question: Given the fact that we want a fair scenario, involving tanks and stuff:

What is the scenario that would most make you shudder? Something that perhaps leaks radioactivity? Something SMALLER than blood and steel? God help us, we've been doing 2-4 turns a day, and we are still only on turn 43 of 80, Letas just recieved his fourth set of reinforcements, the lines of burning tanks go for miles in all directions, wandering crews get lost and perish of thirst, my tanks are running low on AP ammo, I'm loosing my mind, and shermies are getting 2 shots with no reply from STUGs that have run out of gas, NOOOOOOOoooooooo.......

W4,

I haven't laughed that hard for a long time. Thanks. :D

ps. The new version is "only" 65 turns. It has the same units, but the carnage is compressed.

pps. Maybe I should just have everybody play Blood and Steel. Whoever lasts the 65 turns without losing their mind would be declared the winner. ;)

[ February 14, 2002, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

So what you are saying DaveH, is if you are given a platoon of US paras with say...one zook team, and I am given a company of Panthers, and you are to hold the town, you would be satisfied with the results of our game? tongue.gif

VJ,

If I had more time, I might take you up on that offer. :rolleyes:

Would you like to watch a football game where your favorit team was restricted to using spectators from the crowd as it's players? ;)

Sounds like a Bears game to me. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Austin Bowie:

Regardless, I do think play would have been influenced if we all knew how the games were to be scored.

I would second that - and not just for the first game of the second round. For those of us involved in the second game, the strategies used could well be quite different depending on the method of scoring.

All I'd ask for is a balance between evening out the scores for the first game (as that would apear to be needed) and not messing with the second game, as the latter seems quite balanced (!).

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

I'm not worried about any imbalance between the forces. Maybe the real imbalance is between the players commanding the Canadians and the Germans.

Balance is important in a tournament setting ... Would you like to watch a football game where your favorit team was restricted to using spectators from the crowd as it's players? ;)

Things don't have to be perfectly balanced, just relitivly so ... </font>

Dave H,

I have to disagree with you. The scenario was unbalanced. While Ted has done an excellent job in designing the scenarios and running the tourney, he is human (at least that is what he tells me tongue.gif ) and is prone to misjudgements and mistakes like the rest of us. I felt the scenario was unbalanced for reasons that I have already explained to him.

In the end though, our diffrence of opinion dosen't matter. Ted will do what is fair for all concerns and the tourney will go on. That is something we all can have faith in.

And yes, I know my above examples are are a little extreme when compaired to Give and Take. I was just trying to add a ( ! ) to my points. ;)

Guys,

Once all the scores have been submitted for Give & Take, I'll determine what the best way is to handle things. In the meantime, I really do appreciate the feedback and discussions. It gives me (and others) a chance to get a good feel for people's opinions.

Thanks.

And yes, I know my above examples are are a little extreme when compaired to Give and Take. I was just trying to add a ( ! ) to my points. ;)

I knew that. My last post was doing pretty much the same thing. tongue.gif

So, will you and the other German players post your AARs? I'm avoiding the AAR thread right now because Splash and I aren't finished yet, but when we're finished with G&T I'd like to see what happened in other games. Right now my old geezers are still hanging in there. I'm just wondering what else Splash has saved up to throw at me. :(

That's it Dave H! I hope we both survive to the finals so I can kick your tail in Ted's final scenario: All for Me and None for You tongue.gif

Or, more likely, after we've both been handed our heads on silver platters in this tournament, we can play Ted's Two Losers Flailing Around to No Great Effect, and Nobody Cares scenario. I'll see you there. :D

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

That's it Dave H! I hope we both survive to the finals so I can kick your tail in Ted's final scenario: All for Me and None for You tongue.gif

VJ,

Actually, the final scenario is called Rolling Thunder. :eek: </font>

Or, more likely, after we've both been handed our heads on silver platters in this tournament, we can play Ted's Two Losers Flailing Around to No Great Effect, and Nobody Cares scenario. I'll see you there. :D </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperTed:

VJ,

Actually, the final scenario is called Rolling Thunder. :eek: </font>