A Few Pointers to Avoid having the Worst Scenario

No one wants to have his work classified as "the worst," that is for sure.

To help you avoid that, here is a six pointed star that can guide you to new heights of achievement in scenario design.

These rules, if followed, are guaranteed to make you a better scenario designer. Not perfect, but better. And of course, experience, doing it, helps a lot also.

Here we go....

1. Start small. Don't try to create a monster the first time out. You'll only become frustrated.

I have seen scenarios with so many units and turns that I automatically waved a white flag and surrendered on the spot!

2. Plan well. Research your scenario, even if hypothetical. Figure out how to make it "feel" like the battle you are portraying.

3. Save often. CM may appear to be the most stable game to date, but DON'T be fooled. Nothing hurts more than a sudden freeze, or a poweroutage, or rampaging children and animals that destroys three hours or more of hard work.

4. Ask questions. If you don't know, write someone who does. There are plenty of designers out there who will share with you.

5. Have Patience. Be patient with me while I say it again. Have patience.

Don't jump the gun. Once it is done, look it over. Look it over again. Check for unplaced units, map anomalies. Did you proof read your text...out loud? (This is a good way to "see" the text as others do when they read it.) Are you using a written checklist?

It takes time to do it right. Critique like your wife does your paint job on the trim ;) . Be hard on yourself, but mostly, be honest with yourself. Take the time to get it right.

Once a guy told me he could do a scenario or two a day. When I saw his work, I believed him :eek: !

6. Take Criticism positively. Test your own work. I've often said that a designer who won't even take the time to try out his work is not going to do well.

Would you buy a new car and before you even "checked it out," lend it out to a friend for a test drive? Hardly!

Get some folks to test your work. Listen to what they have to say. Listen! Learn! Be nice! Even if they hurt your feelings, be nice!

Testers, my beloved Wargamers, are what make scenario design successful even more than the designers. Kudos to all of them!

Keep these six principles of action always in mind. Practice them. You'll do well.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill Wilder ]</p>

Another tip, prepare to have your scenario that you have spent so much time on be completely ignored or just scrolled off the page. ;)

Unless you are as prolific as Wild Bill odds are few people will try your scenario and out of those people fewer still will give you any feedback.

That doesn't mean your scenario sucks, it's just that there are many other things in this forum fighting for each member's attention.

Think about it, have you written a thank you note or comments to any of the mod makers or scenario designers whose work you have enjoyed?

Gyrene

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]</p>

Very good points Bill. I as a designer do betas of each scenario. In other words let other test it. Make unit changes, map changes as they become necessary, and not before, (that is if its not a historical battle). The more tests you do the more likely you will get it right. Have someone look at your map for problems...after you do. Its not much fun to play a battle with big holes in the road or a tower in the middle of a river or stream. Read up on unit formations, learn how units were setup in combat. Just throwing units all over the map...I must admit looks dumb. I remember when I started working on maps, they were all flat. Elevation is important. That's all for now. ;)

Good points from all of you. I hope this will be a help for aspiring designers.

Gyrene has raised a very valid point. I've NEVER in all my gaming life seen the plethora of scenarios that have flowed out of CMBO, never.

The number of scenario designers must be in the hundreds. That is good and that can be bad.

The good side is that we always have a battle to fight. It does not get boring.

The down side is that some are just not that good or challenging. We are disappointed. I will say, however, that most of what I have seen is quite good.

I think what we do want to avoid is a spirit of competition. "I gotta make a scenario better than Rinky Dink." Instead, the attitude should be, "I want to make the best scenario I can."

And Gyrene's point about response is valid. Too many scenarios makes us sometimes take it all for granted. We sometimes forget the hours of work that all of these people have put into their "masterpieces."

Of course, there are times when it is not easy to send out a personal note of thanks. With no e-mail address to send it, that could be a problem.

If you want feedback, ask for it. Ask for it here.

The gamers here are a good group of guys and will respond.

Just be prepared. Don't ask unless you want to know. Not all AARs will be accolades. Wear your flak jacket when you do.

But don't let it get you down. Learn from it. Make the next one better if you can. Keep working to achieve experience in this aspect of gaming and become better at it.

I find dogged determination as important a quality as skill and knowhow. Just keep an open mind and don't feel that you have to "beat" somebody else.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>These rules, if followed, are guaranteed to make you a better scenario designer. Not perfect, but better. And of course, experience, doing it, helps a lot also.<hr></blockquote> Well Bill, may I call you Wild ... I can see your points but as a co-designer for the World Famous CM Scenario Design Team of Ker Dessel (our motto: Ker Dessel, when you want to play CM in the worst way) I can say that for the less gifted scenario designers you may be right but as part of the team that has created such masterpieces as:

Arty Fest '45, Assault and Battery Incl. and the soon to be released But It's a Dry Heat, not to mention (although I will) our trademark Jabo!, we don't worry about ... stuff ... like that. Research, Schmearsch, the important thing is that MrSpkr and I get a giggle out of it.

Joe

Hi Bill,

In response to your first post, I wonder if I could ask you to test a scenario for me?

It's been sitting on my harddrive for 17 months now, always undergoing changes and stuff. It's pretty well researched, has an extremely accurate -if somewhat cluttered- map and a pretty good briefing if I may say so myself.

As you see I think these bits are pretty well covered. I am a sucker when it comes to balance and unit choice, and if this thing is ever going to hit the web I need some serious advice, from people like you preferably. Would you be willing to have a look at it? It's fictional, but very stirring.

To wet your appetite here's the general briefing:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

Title: The Obersalzberg

Type: Allied assault, fictional scenario.

Loction: Obersalzberg, near Berchtesgaden, Germany

Weather: clear skies, dry ground conditions

Length: 33 turns

Best played as: Human VS human or Axis VS AI

Author: Juju (juju@chello.nl)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

In April 1944 the first rumours surface, concerning the existence of a nazi-stronghold in the south of Germany. In September the OSS issues a top secret report about these rumours.

German intelligence gets wind of this report and from that moment Goebbels starts to meddle in the case. While the German propaganda machine spreads tall stories about a fortress in the Alps, the SD plays false blueprints and feigned information into the hands of the unsuspecting Allies.

In a steadily swelling stream of reports international newspapers continue providing detailed data about the Alpenfestung such as high ranking Nazi officials rumoured to be in the area, and the role that the sinister Himmler and his black SS will play in the defense of it...

Allied High Command perceives these rumours to be nothing but an elaborate hoax, and does not consider bombing the Obersalzberg to be strategically or tactically valuable.

And when American motorized units race through the area around the Alpenfestung in the second half of april they, indeed, hardly meet any organized resistance...

On may 3rd 1945, in a 'prestige-race,' elements of the US 101th Airborne division, and the French 2nd tank division under general LeClerc reach Berchtesgaden, not only to find it deserted by German troops, but also that lead elements of John W. 'Iron Mike' O'Daniel's 3rd Infantry Division had beaten them to it, and were already advancing up the mountain.

Above them looms the Obersalzberg. Up there is the Berghof; Hitler's headquarters...

<hr></blockquote>

Let me know.

Regards,

Juju

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Well Bill, may I call you Wild ... I can see your points but as a co-designer for the World Famous CM Scenario Design Team of Ker Dessel (our motto: Ker Dessel, when you want to play CM in the worst way) I can say that for the less gifted scenario designers you may be right but as part of the team that has created such masterpieces as:

Arty Fest '45, Assault and Battery Incl. and the soon to be released But It's a Dry Heat, not to mention (although I will) our trademark Jabo!, we don't worry about ... stuff ... like that. Research, Schmearsch, the important thing is that MrSpkr and I get a giggle out of it.

Joe<hr></blockquote>

Well, Joe, may I call you idiot...

This may well explain why the only people dumb enough to play your scenarios are SSNs in the Pool

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Well, Joe, may I call you idiot...

This may well explain why the only people dumb enough to play your scenarios are SSNs in the Pool<hr></blockquote> Hah! Jealousy ill becomes you sir ... actually ANYTHING ill becomes you but that's another story.

I'll have you know that the scenarios of Ker Dessel* are true tactical challenges unencumbered by silly little things like ... history. AND we have two Knights battling it out in Assault and Battery Incl. right now ... so there.

Joe

*Ker Dessel - When You Want to Play CM in the Worst Way.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:While Dan and Joe sharpen their lances and get on their horses for this knightly joust, let me speak to Juju.<hr></blockquote> Unnecessary Bill {disdainful sniff}, I've already beaten Berli ... wasn't much of a challenge as it happens. You see he walked right into my barrage of ... GAcccakkkkkaaa ... sorry, my automatic "no one wants to know" filter just kicked in.

Joe

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Are you, perhaps, refering to that battle in which my 7.5cm IG basically raped you? I do seem to recall that ending in a rather resounding defeat for you<hr></blockquote>Surely you don't intend to bring up a scenario created (twice, because the first time he sent it out he padlocked three ACs in a patch of woods that they couldn't get out of) where was I ... oh yeah, created by Peng of all people? And this assertion in a thread DEVOTED to avoiding crappy scenarios? Have you no shame Berli, at long last sir, have you no shame?

To answer your question though, I was referring to the scenario created by that PARAGON of scenario design, Mensch of YOUR OWN DER KESSEL! That other ... THING ... shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Sorry, Wild Bill, it wasn't I who was responsible for hijacking your informative and useful thread. That was Berli and I'd apologize for him if I thought it would do any good.

But it does add credence your point, that a LOUSY SCENARIO created by an ADMITTED CRETIN and SUSPECTED DRUG ADDICT with links to ... well, THAT'S not been proven, but such a scenario can lead to the defeat of ANYONE. We must root out these substandard, unfair, unbalanced and deficient scenarios at all costs and following the dictates of Wild Bill are a step in the right direction.

Joe