How to accurately represent the effects of winter in future CM games....

I've read up on the current über-Finn

thread on Winter warfare, and I have to

say this:

CLOTHING IS THE KEY!

THE KEY!

Try fighting in the snow in a

pair of Hawaiian shorts!

I've thought on and expanded my idea.

There should be a new variable available at

the quick battle/scenario edit screen in CM3,

"TEMPERATURE"

(Drop down menu)

-40 C to -20 C

-20 C to 0 C

0 C to 20 C

20 C to 40 C

40 C to 60 C

Basically, extreme cold and extreme temperatures

act as a modifier to EVERY unit's health and

fatigue rate, PERIOD.

Even bundled up tightly, -30 Celsius isn't like

walking around at 40 Celsius.

To counter these modifiers, units can be

equipped with clothes, from another drop down

menu:

CLOTHING:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 1 clothing is basically the typical

summer uniform for the Wehrmacht and Russians,

and allows you to represent a newly-arrived

Wehrmacht formation on the Ostfront during

the 41/42 winter, or a Red Army formation that

was hastily formed and doesn't have adequate

clothing, or guns, or ammo, or whatever.

Level 2 is typical of a Wehrmacht formation

that has been around long enough in the cold

to have learned how to handle the cold, and

has stolen clothing from the civilian population.

Level 3 is the typical Russian Winter Uniform,

along with a few Luftwaffe units who were

equipped with PROPER winter clothing at the

start of Barbarossa, and for the Wehrmacht

after 1942, when they had begun shipping

purpose made winter uniforms to the front.

Each level of clothing decreases temperature

modifiers, with the Level 1 equipped units

getting screwed during the winter, while

Level 3 people are hampered somewhat by

the weather, but not as bad as Lvl. 1 or 2.

Whaddya think?

If you extended your clothing range, slightly by adding a level 0, then you'd be able to represent light-weight tropical/desert uniforms and clothing. This would allow it to be able to better model the Western Desert.

I'll be much more interested to see how it handles summer effects, rather than winter ones. Heat haze occurs even on the steppes and will seriously effect visibility. In the desert, it will make life very miserable for those people who believe an 88mm should be able to pick opponents off at over 500 metres. :D

I agree this is not a bad suggestion, and is vastly superior to any "national modifier" requests. But we are not going to implement something like this. Instead, as someone else suggested, the Fitness level can be adjusted. Anybody who has been out in the cold without the correct clothing knows that judgement, reflexes, willingness to do much of anything, etc. is all reduced. And if you aren't in great shape to begin with (fed well, not suffering from prolonged exposure, etc.) it is even worse. Changing the Fitness rating for one side or the other will simulate better/worse troop condition, be it because of freezing, soaking, hunger, sweating, etc.

Today I was standing around outside with nothing but semi-insulated boots, light wool pants (1940s vintage Swedish Army to be exact smile.gif ), light shirt, light coat, lined hat, no gloves, and nothing on my face or neck. This reminded me that I didn't want to continue doing it for long since it was 0 F (that's what, -15 C?). I like the cold. I'm used to the cold. But unless I am moving around, or dressed much better, it isn't all that fun for more than 10-20 minutes.

As for claims of people being more adept to cold or not, I think it is a bunch of bunk. I know plenty of people that have grown up here all their lives and are the biggest babies when the temp drops below freezing. Yet my wife, who had hardly even been outside in sub freezing temps in her entire life, had no problem taking a pee at -28 F in the wind at night. Sure, we could have chosen a better weekend to go winter camping, but she did not complain one bit smile.gif

Point is that dealing with cold is not a national trait, rather something that is different for each person and changes with experience/exposure. I'm sure that if some simulation was being made about winter camping that the same people asking for national modifiers would suggest women from temperate climates should be inferior to men from cold climates. I'm here to say that is pure bunk smile.gif

Steve

[ February 13, 2002, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]