Captured KV Tanks

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mattias:

Brian,

Have we clashed over then Puppchen? Goes to show how long we have been around, I can't remember that. Well, I hope it didn't escalate beyond this level of intensity, a bit of fact sharing between sides differing, basically, in degrees smile.gif

<hr></blockquote>

Basically. :eek:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

Ok, do I understand you right if I say that you think maybe some 80 units where in action at, pretty much, the same time? It would seem reasonable considering how long it took to produce these 200 vehicles. By the time the factory had churned out the second half of the productions the first half had seen a lot of fighting.

<hr></blockquote>

One of the problems the Russians would have faced was that they had a finite resource in these vehicles. The Germans were reducing production of them, restricting it to Stugs (which in turn were being replaced by the Stug IV) and the Nashorn/Hornise/Hummel Panzer III/IV hybrid chassis, so it would have been increasingly difficult to capture spares. Cannibalisation would have provided another source but again, a finite one, which was slowing decreasing in size. Then there would be combat attrition, itself. So, from having captured 300+ hulls (how many were still in a running condition, one wonders), to how many they converted which was, as you mention ~200, to how many were in service at any one time and you end up with the figure of about 80. Hardly earth shattering. I don't doubt they were valuable but even so, by the time they got into service, their gun was becoming semi-obsolecent.

You are absolutely right about the constant lack of recovery vehicles experienced by German armoured formations, and that is probably why this use of a Bergepanther is a unique exception. Perhaps this was one of the vehicles delivered without the superlative heavy duty winch that was in even shorter supply, making it less attractive in the recovery role.

<hr></blockquote>

That and the possibility it had a U/S winch (again the lack of spare parts), had both passed my mind. That might have made it more attractive for conversion but I'd have thought its value, even as a tow vehicle would have made it worth keeping in that condition.

Ehhh... Did you say Pak? But the gun mounted on the KV has the recoil spring assembly of the KwK. It looks to me as if the distinctive armoured box that can be seen on all Pz IV tanks is present on this KV as well. Take a look smile.gif

<hr></blockquote>

I see what you mean but the nomclenclature for the vehicle, "Panzerkampfwagen KV I ® mit 7.5cm PaK" and this quote from the Technical Virtue website, makes it clear that it was in fact the Pak, not the Kwk which was used: "Many of the later vehicles were used without modification. This KV I seems to be an exception to this rule. Not only has the Soviet 76.2mm gun been replaced with

the German PaK 40, but the commander's hatch has been replaced with a cupola."

Having had a second, longer look at the photo, yes I can now see the side mounted recuperator housings on each side of the barrel but again, the designation indicates the use of a Pak. While the drawings on the kit boxes that Rexford pointed out, also make it clear that its a Kwk. My, this is confusing. Why designate the weapon as a Pak if its a Kwk? Role perhaps?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian,

Have we clashed over then Puppchen? Goes to show how long we have been around, I can't remember that. Well, I hope it didn't escalate beyond this level of intensity, a bit of fact sharing between sides differing, basically, in degrees smile.gif

<hr></blockquote>

Basically. :eek:

Ok, do I understand you right if I say that you think maybe some 80 units where in action at, pretty much, the same time? It would seem reasonable considering how long it took to produce these 200 vehicles. By the time the factory had churned out the second half of the productions the first half had seen a lot of fighting.

<hr></blockquote>

One of the problems the Russians would have faced was that they had a finite resource in these vehicles. The Germans were reducing production of them, restricting it to Stugs (which in turn were being replaced by the Stug IV) and the Nashorn/Hornise/Hummel Panzer III/IV hybrid chassis, so it would have been increasingly difficult to capture spares. Cannibalisation would have provided another source but again, a finite one, which was slowing decreasing in size. Then there would be combat attrition, itself. So, from having captured 300+ hulls (how many were still in a running condition, one wonders), to how many they converted which was, as you mention ~200, to how many were in service at any one time and you end up with the figure of about 80. Hardly earth shattering. I don't doubt they were valuable but even so, by the time they got into service, their gun was becoming semi-obsolecent.

You are absolutely right about the constant lack of recovery vehicles experienced by German armoured formations, and that is probably why this use of a Bergepanther is a unique exception. Perhaps this was one of the vehicles delivered without the superlative heavy duty winch that was in even shorter supply, making it less attractive in the recovery role.

<hr></blockquote>

That and the possibility it had a U/S winch (again the lack of spare parts), had both passed my mind. That might have made it more attractive for conversion but I'd have thought its value, even as a tow vehicle would have made it worth keeping in that condition.

Ehhh... Did you say Pak? But the gun mounted on the KV has the recoil spring assembly of the KwK. It looks to me as if the distinctive armoured box that can be seen on all Pz IV tanks is present on this KV as well. Take a look smile.gif

<hr></blockquote>

I see what you mean but the nomclenclature for the vehicle, "Panzerkampfwagen KV I ® mit 7.5cm PaK" and this quote from the Technical Virtue website, makes it clear that it was in fact the Pak, not the Kwk which was used: "Many of the later vehicles were used without modification. This KV I seems to be an exception to this rule. Not only has the Soviet 76.2mm gun been replaced with

the German PaK 40, but the commander's hatch has been replaced with a cupola."

Having had a second, longer look at the photo, yes I can now see the side mounted recuperator housings on each side of the barrel but again, the designation indicates the use of a Pak. While the drawings on the kit boxes that Rexford pointed out, also make it clear that its a Kwk. My, this is confusing. Why designate the weapon as a Pak if its a Kwk? Role perhaps?

Tero wrote:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>How did you resolve this problem in the case of a nation which relied very heavily on captured materiel and which historically kept some of them going almost 25 years beyond the last being produced in the parent nation ?<hr></blockquote>

Do not confuse frontline, highly intensive war situations hundreds of miles from home territory with peaceful, home depot situations.

How do countries keep old stuff running? The same way I keep my 55+ year old stuff on the go. You hunt around for surplus parts, find matches to domestic parts, fabricate your own, or replace entire systems (like engines) when you can't do anything more for them. Many of the ex-Yugoslav M18s and M36s that have come back to the US have Soviet V-12 Diesels in them instead of the highly complex US radial engines they originally shipped over with. Other parts were aquired on the open market or through deals with the governments that produced them (if they are friendly, of course).

None of this can be compared to a German Divisional level support shop stuck next to some swamp in Central Russia with a backlog of German vehicles in need of repair and often lacking the resources or time to do so. I mean, why did the Finns have so few Soviet AFVs in service at one time? They certainly did knock out/capture far more than the numbers fielded.

BTW, this was the single biggest problem with the German lorries. They fielded anything that moved, which meant trucks of various types produced by probably a dozen different nations over a period of 10-15 years. This resulted in a low readiness level and decreasing mechanization as the war dragged on. And the Germans had spare parts being produced in many cases by the same factories which made them, yet there were still many logistical headaches that were never solved.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>So basically the Finns will get BT-7's (widrawn from service altogether by late 1943) because they were used in numbers but the few T-34's and the two KV's that played much more vital role in the war effort are out because of this "30-vehicle rule" ? And this means the Finns do not get most of the AC's either ?<hr></blockquote>

We have different standards for Axis Allied nations. The same thing you describe with the Finns exists for Hungary and Romania too. How many people know that the Hungarians used a company's worth of Tiger 1 Es?

Steve

Tero wrote:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>How did you resolve this problem in the case of a nation which relied very heavily on captured materiel and which historically kept some of them going almost 25 years beyond the last being produced in the parent nation ?<hr></blockquote>

Do not confuse frontline, highly intensive war situations hundreds of miles from home territory with peaceful, home depot situations.

How do countries keep old stuff running? The same way I keep my 55+ year old stuff on the go. You hunt around for surplus parts, find matches to domestic parts, fabricate your own, or replace entire systems (like engines) when you can't do anything more for them. Many of the ex-Yugoslav M18s and M36s that have come back to the US have Soviet V-12 Diesels in them instead of the highly complex US radial engines they originally shipped over with. Other parts were aquired on the open market or through deals with the governments that produced them (if they are friendly, of course).

None of this can be compared to a German Divisional level support shop stuck next to some swamp in Central Russia with a backlog of German vehicles in need of repair and often lacking the resources or time to do so. I mean, why did the Finns have so few Soviet AFVs in service at one time? They certainly did knock out/capture far more than the numbers fielded.

BTW, this was the single biggest problem with the German lorries. They fielded anything that moved, which meant trucks of various types produced by probably a dozen different nations over a period of 10-15 years. This resulted in a low readiness level and decreasing mechanization as the war dragged on. And the Germans had spare parts being produced in many cases by the same factories which made them, yet there were still many logistical headaches that were never solved.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>So basically the Finns will get BT-7's (widrawn from service altogether by late 1943) because they were used in numbers but the few T-34's and the two KV's that played much more vital role in the war effort are out because of this "30-vehicle rule" ? And this means the Finns do not get most of the AC's either ?<hr></blockquote>

We have different standards for Axis Allied nations. The same thing you describe with the Finns exists for Hungary and Romania too. How many people know that the Hungarians used a company's worth of Tiger 1 Es?

Steve

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

I try not to. But what is the difference between the two at the time of total war in a place with highly restricted access routes ?

Other parts were aquired on the open market or through deals with the governments that produced them (if they are friendly, of course).

The Finnish Stugs were kept running by buying PzKw-III's from IIRC Norway after the war.

None of this can be compared to a German Divisional level support shop stuck next to some swamp in Central Russia with a backlog of German vehicles in need of repair and often lacking the resources or time to do so.

The German situation was similar. And different. We had only one armoured formation. ;)

I mean, why did the Finns have so few Soviet AFVs in service at one time? They certainly did knock out/capture far more than the numbers fielded.

Do you mean types or numbers ? For all intents and purposes prior to 1940 there was no armour in the Finnish army. In 1941 some 100 T-26's were fielded along with BT-7's and a few T-28's. A rag tag assortment of AC's, amphib tankettes and arty tractors. Most were captured and/or rebuilt by joining different components from different damaged vehicles.

If you take a look at the assortment of makes and models the Finnish Air Force kept up and flying throughout the war you will find the chaos they had to sort through is of similar magnitude, relatively speaking. :D

Not too many I suspect. smile.gif

Incidentaly: how will the unit costs be valued for different armies (for example in the case of Stugs) ? There was only one armoured formation in the Finnish army so there was only one combined arms/armour formation. The rest were plain vanilla infantry.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

I try not to. But what is the difference between the two at the time of total war in a place with highly restricted access routes ?

Other parts were aquired on the open market or through deals with the governments that produced them (if they are friendly, of course).

The Finnish Stugs were kept running by buying PzKw-III's from IIRC Norway after the war.

None of this can be compared to a German Divisional level support shop stuck next to some swamp in Central Russia with a backlog of German vehicles in need of repair and often lacking the resources or time to do so.

The German situation was similar. And different. We had only one armoured formation. ;)

I mean, why did the Finns have so few Soviet AFVs in service at one time? They certainly did knock out/capture far more than the numbers fielded.

Do you mean types or numbers ? For all intents and purposes prior to 1940 there was no armour in the Finnish army. In 1941 some 100 T-26's were fielded along with BT-7's and a few T-28's. A rag tag assortment of AC's, amphib tankettes and arty tractors. Most were captured and/or rebuilt by joining different components from different damaged vehicles.

If you take a look at the assortment of makes and models the Finnish Air Force kept up and flying throughout the war you will find the chaos they had to sort through is of similar magnitude, relatively speaking. :D

Not too many I suspect. smile.gif

Incidentaly: how will the unit costs be valued for different armies (for example in the case of Stugs) ? There was only one armoured formation in the Finnish army so there was only one combined arms/armour formation. The rest were plain vanilla infantry.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

Tero:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I try not to. But what is the difference between the two at the time of total war in a place with highly restricted access routes ?<hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure I understand the question. Your question was how did countries, like Finland, keep old vehicles in service long after the supply of parts dried up if it was so hard to keep them running for shorter periods of time (or something like that). My point is that you can not compare keeping vehicles running during peacetime with time of war. From subsequent things you said I think you understand this point.

Oh, another thing... a vehicle during wartime is most likely going to be used hard, constantly. I wonder how many times the Finns took their StuGs out after the war and under what conditions? I own several M29C Weasels which came from Norway and the appear to have spent much of that time in depots, not in use.

As a side note... one of Finland's StuGs is now in California fully restored. I think it cost over $300,000 for the purchase, transportation, and restoration.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Do you mean types or numbers ?<hr></blockquote>

Both, but during the War of Continuation, not the period inbetween it and the Winter War.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>If you take a look at the assortment of makes and models the Finnish Air Force kept up and flying throughout the war you will find the chaos they had to sort through is of similar magnitude, relatively speaking.<hr></blockquote>

The Romanians had similar problems, using domestic, German, Czech, Italian, and Soviet equipment in large quantities throughout the war.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Incidentaly: how will the unit costs be valued for different armies (for example in the case of Stugs) ? There was only one armoured formation in the Finnish army so there was only one combined arms/armour formation. The rest were plain vanilla infantry.<hr></blockquote>

There is a different Rarity system for each individual nation for starters. If you select Finnish Combained Arms you will get to choose from AFVs based on how common they were relative to each other, not how likely a Finnish force would have them at their disposal. If you let CM decide which force you would get, then Formation Rarity kicks in. Not only will it select the type of force based on Rarity numbers (i.e. just about rulling out Cavalry and Armor), but it will also price Infantry formations according to how common they were. So, for example, a regular Infantry Battalion (and its attachments) will be the most common with Jääkäri and Sissi formations being proportionally more expensive.

Steve

Tero:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I try not to. But what is the difference between the two at the time of total war in a place with highly restricted access routes ?<hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure I understand the question. Your question was how did countries, like Finland, keep old vehicles in service long after the supply of parts dried up if it was so hard to keep them running for shorter periods of time (or something like that). My point is that you can not compare keeping vehicles running during peacetime with time of war. From subsequent things you said I think you understand this point.

Oh, another thing... a vehicle during wartime is most likely going to be used hard, constantly. I wonder how many times the Finns took their StuGs out after the war and under what conditions? I own several M29C Weasels which came from Norway and the appear to have spent much of that time in depots, not in use.

As a side note... one of Finland's StuGs is now in California fully restored. I think it cost over $300,000 for the purchase, transportation, and restoration.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Do you mean types or numbers ?<hr></blockquote>

Both, but during the War of Continuation, not the period inbetween it and the Winter War.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>If you take a look at the assortment of makes and models the Finnish Air Force kept up and flying throughout the war you will find the chaos they had to sort through is of similar magnitude, relatively speaking.<hr></blockquote>

The Romanians had similar problems, using domestic, German, Czech, Italian, and Soviet equipment in large quantities throughout the war.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Incidentaly: how will the unit costs be valued for different armies (for example in the case of Stugs) ? There was only one armoured formation in the Finnish army so there was only one combined arms/armour formation. The rest were plain vanilla infantry.<hr></blockquote>

There is a different Rarity system for each individual nation for starters. If you select Finnish Combained Arms you will get to choose from AFVs based on how common they were relative to each other, not how likely a Finnish force would have them at their disposal. If you let CM decide which force you would get, then Formation Rarity kicks in. Not only will it select the type of force based on Rarity numbers (i.e. just about rulling out Cavalry and Armor), but it will also price Infantry formations according to how common they were. So, for example, a regular Infantry Battalion (and its attachments) will be the most common with Jääkäri and Sissi formations being proportionally more expensive.

Steve

This thread is very interesting read. smile.gif

Some more questions, not quite related though:

1. I read somewhere that the Soviets like PzIII a lot (here?). Any links to Soviet-converted vechicles based on PzIII?

2. I read somewhere else that the German used a captured KV-2 with fully-functional turret (!!!) as a "bunker" in the late years of the war. IIRC, the Americans had a very hard time taking it out, even with CAS! Any links to this particular story?

TIA.

This thread is very interesting read. smile.gif

Some more questions, not quite related though:

1. I read somewhere that the Soviets like PzIII a lot (here?). Any links to Soviet-converted vechicles based on PzIII?

2. I read somewhere else that the German used a captured KV-2 with fully-functional turret (!!!) as a "bunker" in the late years of the war. IIRC, the Americans had a very hard time taking it out, even with CAS! Any links to this particular story?

TIA.

GriffinCheng+ said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>1. I read somewhere that the Soviets like PzIII a lot (here?). Any links to Soviet-converted vechicles based on PzIII?<hr></blockquote>

The Russian Battlefield, among SCORES of other VERY cool articles, has a good write-up on the SU-76i with lotsa pics. This was basically the Russian version of the StuG III. It used a PzIII hull with a modified version of the T-34's gun in a StuG-type superstructure.

http://history.vif2.ru/su76i.html

And if you're really curious, you can buy a 1/76 scale white metal kit of this beast here:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/mms.htm

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Bullethead ]</p>

GriffinCheng+ said:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>1. I read somewhere that the Soviets like PzIII a lot (here?). Any links to Soviet-converted vechicles based on PzIII?<hr></blockquote>

The Russian Battlefield, among SCORES of other VERY cool articles, has a good write-up on the SU-76i with lotsa pics. This was basically the Russian version of the StuG III. It used a PzIII hull with a modified version of the T-34's gun in a StuG-type superstructure.

http://history.vif2.ru/su76i.html

And if you're really curious, you can buy a 1/76 scale white metal kit of this beast here:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/mms.htm

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Bullethead ]</p>

My point is that you can not compare keeping vehicles running during peacetime with time of war. From subsequent things you said I think you understand this point.

It is a matter of scale. The aim of an army relying on captured/out-of-production equipment is to keep them running in peace time and to keep them in sufficiently good condition to make them last in combat conditions (indeed keep them in such a condition they can make it to the battle field under their own power at least). Also, that army has to be able to maintain/sustain them in combat conditions. Which IMO is not that dissimilar to keeping them in running condition during the time of peace. All the necessary pieces and incredients have to be present in both cases. That is, if they are not a "use-and-lose" bonus asset. smile.gif

Oh, another thing... a vehicle during wartime is most likely going to be used hard, constantly. I wonder how many times the Finns took their StuGs out after the war and under what conditions?

IIRC they were used rather evenly and not revved up without good cause. And they did get kept in storage. Of interest is the fact the vehicle given the registration number (531 ?) - 13 was cannibalized for spare parts upon arrival already in 1943. Others, which were not recovered but combat write offs, seem to have been spared from that fate. When the decision was made to replace them in the mid-60's they were used extensively until the automotive parts could not take it anymore and they were placed in airfields as static gun emplacements until the late -80's.

Is it the one that Brit fellow purchased and restored ?

I take it you have the book on Finnish armour. If you flip back to the back where there is a list on the models and numbers you will find out why I asked the question. The number of models present is quite large when speaking about the pre-1941 models of Soviet AFV's. The absolute numbers of vehicles are small compared to the thousands of AFV's in the major armies. But if you take into account the fact most models were of captured enemy stock the absolute number becomes comparable to the major armies and their systematic use of captured materiel (Germany not included of course smile.gif ). The difference is the other armies had domestic models or sufficient(ish) numbers of purchased models to supplement the captured vehicles while Finland could/had to initially rely on the "supply" of captured vehicles and spares to solve any logistical problems. The only models that could not be maintained in this manner were the Landsverk Anti AAA vehicles and the Stugs.

Even during the retreat of the summer of 1944 Finnish salvage teams gathered suitable spare parts from KO'd enemy vehicles during the lulls in the fighting.

When talking about small arms of the Finnish army were of the same caliber, in fact the same models the Red Army used (or domestic modifications of them with interchangeable parts with the original models). Curiously enough Winter War created also a problem. We had received sizable quantities of small arms and ammo as gifts that were not compatible. These were largely relegated to the rear echelon and home front troops (AAA etc). Models like the Italian Manlichter-Carcano PoS were among them (IIRC the one LHO supposedly used was ex Finnish stock). The front line infantry used equipment compatible with the enemy ordnance. German small arms were rejected because of they were of different caliber.

Finnish field artillery had over 60 models and almost as many calibers. German artillery pieces had to be bought but they were in the minority. Again it was more cost effective to use captured pieces and ammo because of the combatibility issues.

In the case of the FAF all the possible variations and combinations in ordnance and models compounded the logistical problems into a quartermasters wet dream. American, French, Dutch, Italian, British, Soviet and German models were flown. At least. smile.gif

The armoured force had Swedish, British, Soviet and German models. The T-26 being a carbon copy of the Vickers 6 tn tank there was no problems with part interchangeability.

There is a different Rarity system for each individual nation for starters. If you select Finnish Combained Arms you will get to choose from AFVs based on how common they were relative to each other, not how likely a Finnish force would have them at their disposal.

Any time period related modifiers ? In 1941 it is more likely to encounter a T-26 than a KV under the Finnish flag while in 1944 the T-26 was still the most numerous model but had been relegated to support duties and the KV had a more prominent part in the armour vs armour fighting.

If you let CM decide which force you would get, then Formation Rarity kicks in. Not only will it select the type of force based on Rarity numbers (i.e. just about rulling out Cavalry and Armor), but it will also price Infantry formations according to how common they were. So, for example, a regular Infantry Battalion (and its attachments) will be the most common with Jääkäri and Sissi formations being proportionally more expensive.

What about OOB's ? The Cavalry brigades did not use horses so they were in fact regular infantry. A Brigade OOB's there is a Jääkäri company as an organic part of the OOB. In the armoured brigade/division all the infantry formations were Jääkäri formations That would mean that a Jääkäri company should cost a different amount of points for the regular infantry (unless it is an organic part of the formation) than it would cost to a formation which had them in their organic OOB. Right ? I'm scurrying for a war time OOB because I have a hunch there were Jääkäri formations at Regimental level in the regular infantry too. But I am not 100% sure about that.

Also, during intense fighting it was common for the OOB to get mixed. It was common for companies that got mixed up to form impromptu gaggles that fought on instead of losing time reorganizing themselves into proper formations. In the CM timeframe that would mean pristine OOB's would be a rarity unless each and every CM engagement starts from the start of the battle and not from the middle of the battle. Which would render the fitness and other similar settings illogical if they are global settings. How often was a reinforcement unit already exhausted when it arrived at the scene, even if it was already present at the start of the CM battle and does not arrive as reinforcement during the battle ?

Which brings me to the split squad morale hit: why was it induced in the first place in CMBO ? Any chance it will be done away with in CMBB ?

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

My point is that you can not compare keeping vehicles running during peacetime with time of war. From subsequent things you said I think you understand this point.

It is a matter of scale. The aim of an army relying on captured/out-of-production equipment is to keep them running in peace time and to keep them in sufficiently good condition to make them last in combat conditions (indeed keep them in such a condition they can make it to the battle field under their own power at least). Also, that army has to be able to maintain/sustain them in combat conditions. Which IMO is not that dissimilar to keeping them in running condition during the time of peace. All the necessary pieces and incredients have to be present in both cases. That is, if they are not a "use-and-lose" bonus asset. smile.gif

Oh, another thing... a vehicle during wartime is most likely going to be used hard, constantly. I wonder how many times the Finns took their StuGs out after the war and under what conditions?

IIRC they were used rather evenly and not revved up without good cause. And they did get kept in storage. Of interest is the fact the vehicle given the registration number (531 ?) - 13 was cannibalized for spare parts upon arrival already in 1943. Others, which were not recovered but combat write offs, seem to have been spared from that fate. When the decision was made to replace them in the mid-60's they were used extensively until the automotive parts could not take it anymore and they were placed in airfields as static gun emplacements until the late -80's.

Is it the one that Brit fellow purchased and restored ?

I take it you have the book on Finnish armour. If you flip back to the back where there is a list on the models and numbers you will find out why I asked the question. The number of models present is quite large when speaking about the pre-1941 models of Soviet AFV's. The absolute numbers of vehicles are small compared to the thousands of AFV's in the major armies. But if you take into account the fact most models were of captured enemy stock the absolute number becomes comparable to the major armies and their systematic use of captured materiel (Germany not included of course smile.gif ). The difference is the other armies had domestic models or sufficient(ish) numbers of purchased models to supplement the captured vehicles while Finland could/had to initially rely on the "supply" of captured vehicles and spares to solve any logistical problems. The only models that could not be maintained in this manner were the Landsverk Anti AAA vehicles and the Stugs.

Even during the retreat of the summer of 1944 Finnish salvage teams gathered suitable spare parts from KO'd enemy vehicles during the lulls in the fighting.

When talking about small arms of the Finnish army were of the same caliber, in fact the same models the Red Army used (or domestic modifications of them with interchangeable parts with the original models). Curiously enough Winter War created also a problem. We had received sizable quantities of small arms and ammo as gifts that were not compatible. These were largely relegated to the rear echelon and home front troops (AAA etc). Models like the Italian Manlichter-Carcano PoS were among them (IIRC the one LHO supposedly used was ex Finnish stock). The front line infantry used equipment compatible with the enemy ordnance. German small arms were rejected because of they were of different caliber.

Finnish field artillery had over 60 models and almost as many calibers. German artillery pieces had to be bought but they were in the minority. Again it was more cost effective to use captured pieces and ammo because of the combatibility issues.

In the case of the FAF all the possible variations and combinations in ordnance and models compounded the logistical problems into a quartermasters wet dream. American, French, Dutch, Italian, British, Soviet and German models were flown. At least. smile.gif

The armoured force had Swedish, British, Soviet and German models. The T-26 being a carbon copy of the Vickers 6 tn tank there was no problems with part interchangeability.

There is a different Rarity system for each individual nation for starters. If you select Finnish Combained Arms you will get to choose from AFVs based on how common they were relative to each other, not how likely a Finnish force would have them at their disposal.

Any time period related modifiers ? In 1941 it is more likely to encounter a T-26 than a KV under the Finnish flag while in 1944 the T-26 was still the most numerous model but had been relegated to support duties and the KV had a more prominent part in the armour vs armour fighting.

If you let CM decide which force you would get, then Formation Rarity kicks in. Not only will it select the type of force based on Rarity numbers (i.e. just about rulling out Cavalry and Armor), but it will also price Infantry formations according to how common they were. So, for example, a regular Infantry Battalion (and its attachments) will be the most common with Jääkäri and Sissi formations being proportionally more expensive.

What about OOB's ? The Cavalry brigades did not use horses so they were in fact regular infantry. A Brigade OOB's there is a Jääkäri company as an organic part of the OOB. In the armoured brigade/division all the infantry formations were Jääkäri formations That would mean that a Jääkäri company should cost a different amount of points for the regular infantry (unless it is an organic part of the formation) than it would cost to a formation which had them in their organic OOB. Right ? I'm scurrying for a war time OOB because I have a hunch there were Jääkäri formations at Regimental level in the regular infantry too. But I am not 100% sure about that.

Also, during intense fighting it was common for the OOB to get mixed. It was common for companies that got mixed up to form impromptu gaggles that fought on instead of losing time reorganizing themselves into proper formations. In the CM timeframe that would mean pristine OOB's would be a rarity unless each and every CM engagement starts from the start of the battle and not from the middle of the battle. Which would render the fitness and other similar settings illogical if they are global settings. How often was a reinforcement unit already exhausted when it arrived at the scene, even if it was already present at the start of the CM battle and does not arrive as reinforcement during the battle ?

Which brings me to the split squad morale hit: why was it induced in the first place in CMBO ? Any chance it will be done away with in CMBB ?

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: tero ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian:

One of the problems the Russians would have faced was that they had a finite resource in these vehicles.<hr></blockquote>

The SU76i that is..

But Brian, what is your point? I don't want to sound provocative but I don't understand what you are trying to prove/disprove?

My standpoint is that the SU76i appears to have been produced and used in, though small, not insignificant numbers compared to, say, the Luchs or the Ferdinand.

It would be nice to see it included in CM:BB, if not out of absolute necessity, then out of interest in detail. But, then again, it will not be missed in the same way as would the Ferdinand, should it not be included.

M.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian:

One of the problems the Russians would have faced was that they had a finite resource in these vehicles.<hr></blockquote>

The SU76i that is..

But Brian, what is your point? I don't want to sound provocative but I don't understand what you are trying to prove/disprove?

My standpoint is that the SU76i appears to have been produced and used in, though small, not insignificant numbers compared to, say, the Luchs or the Ferdinand.

It would be nice to see it included in CM:BB, if not out of absolute necessity, then out of interest in detail. But, then again, it will not be missed in the same way as would the Ferdinand, should it not be included.

M.

The SU76i that is..

<hr></blockquote>

Just discuss, not disprove/prove. I'd love to include every rare oddity possible but wonder if in making the choices they do, BTS doesn't sometimes concentrate too much on the rare and wonderful at the expense of getting the mundane right.

M.<hr></blockquote>

Personally, I'd rather see the Su76i, rather than the Ferdinand. Both would be nice but as I've said in the past I wonder if sometimes the wargamers' own delight with the weirdy, wacky and the wonderful blinds us to making sure, as I said, the mundane aspects are done correctly.

But then I have a reputation for championing what others think is weird and wonderful and which I think is mundane. Perhaps its all a matter of perspective?

Oh, well, roll on the Sturmtigers!

The SU76i that is..

<hr></blockquote>

Just discuss, not disprove/prove. I'd love to include every rare oddity possible but wonder if in making the choices they do, BTS doesn't sometimes concentrate too much on the rare and wonderful at the expense of getting the mundane right.

M.<hr></blockquote>

Personally, I'd rather see the Su76i, rather than the Ferdinand. Both would be nice but as I've said in the past I wonder if sometimes the wargamers' own delight with the weirdy, wacky and the wonderful blinds us to making sure, as I said, the mundane aspects are done correctly.

But then I have a reputation for championing what others think is weird and wonderful and which I think is mundane. Perhaps its all a matter of perspective?

Oh, well, roll on the Sturmtigers!

Definitely so, we are all of us closest to ourselves. I'm no doubt influenced by the fact that I have read books describing in detail the design, production and operational use of the Ferdinand/Elefant, whereas the Russian Military zone represent the full extent of my knowledge of the SU76i. The fact that the latter vehicle is likely to have little impact on an armoured engagement while the former is known to have dominated the field at times probably plays in as well.

Not really being a "power fan" I think it is the fact that the Ferdinand gained such a poor reputation after Zitadelle that makes me look forward to see if it is the burning artillery kill somewhere around Kursk or the extremely resilient beast of war still fighting on outside Berlin at the eve of the war that is the true image of this rare bird.

M.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Mattias ]</p>

Definitely so, we are all of us closest to ourselves. I'm no doubt influenced by the fact that I have read books describing in detail the design, production and operational use of the Ferdinand/Elefant, whereas the Russian Military zone represent the full extent of my knowledge of the SU76i. The fact that the latter vehicle is likely to have little impact on an armoured engagement while the former is known to have dominated the field at times probably plays in as well.

Not really being a "power fan" I think it is the fact that the Ferdinand gained such a poor reputation after Zitadelle that makes me look forward to see if it is the burning artillery kill somewhere around Kursk or the extremely resilient beast of war still fighting on outside Berlin at the eve of the war that is the true image of this rare bird.

M.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Mattias ]</p>

The Germans certainly used "enough" captured Soviet trucks and cars to warrant inclusion based purely on numerical considerations. But, as Steve has pointed out above, from there to actually seeing it in CM is something that takes more than just numbers.

The "truck" representing this type of vehicle in CM:BO for example is just one of dozens of models deployed by the different warring nations back then. Adding special truck models just because they were captured seems a bit over the top, unless they had radically different capabilities perhaps.

M.

P.S. Just a number from Spielbergers book on the use of captured vehicles in the German forces:

On the 1st of January 1943 it was reported that 1.2 million motor vehicles were in use, They were of around 2200 different models and approximately half of them were of non German origin.

The Germans certainly used "enough" captured Soviet trucks and cars to warrant inclusion based purely on numerical considerations. But, as Steve has pointed out above, from there to actually seeing it in CM is something that takes more than just numbers.

The "truck" representing this type of vehicle in CM:BO for example is just one of dozens of models deployed by the different warring nations back then. Adding special truck models just because they were captured seems a bit over the top, unless they had radically different capabilities perhaps.

M.

P.S. Just a number from Spielbergers book on the use of captured vehicles in the German forces:

On the 1st of January 1943 it was reported that 1.2 million motor vehicles were in use, They were of around 2200 different models and approximately half of them were of non German origin.

Tero,

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Also, that army has to be able to maintain/sustain them in combat conditions. Which IMO is not that dissimilar to keeping them in running condition during the time of peace.<hr></blockquote>

Theory and practice are very different smile.gif There was a report produced towards the end of the Cold War stating that if a major war started with the Warsaw Pact that NATO would basically have to fight with whatever they had. Chances of replacements were small, chances of repairing damaged vehicles questionable due to the hightech nature. My point is that planning for war and dealing with the reality of war are two different things.

More relevant example is that prior to launching the offensive towards Moscow in the Fall of 1941, most German Panzer Divisions were only at 25% established strength. The vast majority of the 75% not available were sitting in repair shops. Too many broke down too fast too far away from major supply depots which in turn were not adequately stocked with spares.

The point again is that keeping captured material functioning was very difficult, even for the situation described in Finland and Romania. There is a reason why the smaller vehicles were maintained in higher readiness and larger numbers than larger AFVs. Think of how many T-34s the Finns encountered compared to how many they fielded. There is a reason for this smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>IIRC they were used rather evenly and not revved up without good cause. And they did get kept in storage.<hr></blockquote>

Very interesting information! Also proves my point well smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Is it the one that Brit fellow purchased and restored ?<hr></blockquote>

No. This one is owned by a man in California who has a large private museum with about 100 AFVs from WWII and after. However, I am pretty sure he bought it from someone in the UK in unrestored condition and not directly form the Finnish government. But I could be wrong about that.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>The difference is the other armies had domestic models or sufficient(ish) numbers of purchased models to supplement the captured vehicles while Finland could/had to initially rely on the "supply" of captured vehicles and spares to solve any logistical problems. The only models that could not be maintained in this manner were the Landsverk Anti AAA vehicles and the Stugs. <hr></blockquote>

I generally agree, but I think you are missing one crucial point. Some Soviet AFVs were never pressed into service because they were too much of a problem to support. The Finns had what... one KV-1 in service at a time? (or something like that). Certainly they had the chance to acquire more from the battlefield, but for various reasons were not able to use more than a couple through the course of the entire war.

Interesting note the Romanians were initially given PzIVs before the Stalingrad disaster with NO AMMO!! Since they had never before had such a vehicle they had no ammo of their own to use. Good planning!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>These were largely relegated to the rear echelon and home front troops (AAA etc). Models like the Italian Manlichter-Carcano PoS were among them (IIRC the one LHO supposedly used was ex Finnish stock). <hr></blockquote>

This was very similar for the Romanians in particular, who in fact had the same Italian Manlichter-Carcano in service with their rear units smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Finnish field artillery had over 60 models and almost as many calibers.<hr></blockquote>

Tell me about it :( They have probably more artillery models available to them at any on time than probably the Germans or the Soviets. And yes, we are simulating a very large number of them.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Any time period related modifiers ?...what about OOB's ? ... A Brigade OOB's there is a Jääkäri company as an organic part of the OOB. In the armoured brigade/division all the infantry formations were Jääkäri formations That would mean that a Jääkäri company should cost a different amount of points for the regular infantry (unless it is an organic part of the formation) than it would cost to a formation which had them in their organic OOB. Right ?<hr></blockquote>

The Rarity system works by month, so something less common early can become more common later, or vice versa. The Germans, for example, had a few Typ 36 Infantrie Divisions left in service as the war ended. I think we are going to keep the TO&E available for purchase, but it will be super Rare.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Also, during intense fighting it was common for the OOB to get mixed. It was common for companies that got mixed up to form impromptu gaggles that fought on instead of losing time reorganizing themselves into proper formations. In the CM timeframe that would mean pristine OOB's would be a rarity unless each and every CM engagement starts from the start of the battle and not from the middle of the battle. Which would render the fitness and other similar settings illogical if they are global settings. How often was a reinforcement unit already exhausted when it arrived at the scene, even if it was already present at the start of the CM battle and does not arrive as reinforcement during the battle ?<hr></blockquote>

In the Editor all of these things can be customized. This will allow you to have worn out frontline troops and fresh reserves. But for Quick Battles this is far too detailed and can not be done easily, which defeats the purpose of Quick Battles smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Which brings me to the split squad morale hit: why was it induced in the first place in CMBO ? Any chance it will be done away with in CMBB ?<hr></blockquote>

It was introduced to a) prevent the Gamey use of Split Squads (i.e. doubling your force, which the game and graphics system was NOT designed to handle) and B) to realistically penalize the player for spreading forces too thinly. There is a reason why the Squad size has not changed much in the last 60 years or so. A particular number (8-10 men) was found to be effective in terms of combat and staying power. Starting off with only 4-5 men eliminates staying power and greatly reduces combat power derived from combined efforts of a larger group.

So the reasons for split squads is just as valid in CMBB as it is in CMBO, and therefore we are obviously not going to change things. We are hoping to make battle scared units, which start off the game fewer men, less brittle than a unit which becomes reduced during the game through splitting or losses. I'm pretty sure this will go in, but honestly can not remember where that issue is at this moment.

Steve

Tero,

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Also, that army has to be able to maintain/sustain them in combat conditions. Which IMO is not that dissimilar to keeping them in running condition during the time of peace.<hr></blockquote>

Theory and practice are very different smile.gif There was a report produced towards the end of the Cold War stating that if a major war started with the Warsaw Pact that NATO would basically have to fight with whatever they had. Chances of replacements were small, chances of repairing damaged vehicles questionable due to the hightech nature. My point is that planning for war and dealing with the reality of war are two different things.

More relevant example is that prior to launching the offensive towards Moscow in the Fall of 1941, most German Panzer Divisions were only at 25% established strength. The vast majority of the 75% not available were sitting in repair shops. Too many broke down too fast too far away from major supply depots which in turn were not adequately stocked with spares.

The point again is that keeping captured material functioning was very difficult, even for the situation described in Finland and Romania. There is a reason why the smaller vehicles were maintained in higher readiness and larger numbers than larger AFVs. Think of how many T-34s the Finns encountered compared to how many they fielded. There is a reason for this smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>IIRC they were used rather evenly and not revved up without good cause. And they did get kept in storage.<hr></blockquote>

Very interesting information! Also proves my point well smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Is it the one that Brit fellow purchased and restored ?<hr></blockquote>

No. This one is owned by a man in California who has a large private museum with about 100 AFVs from WWII and after. However, I am pretty sure he bought it from someone in the UK in unrestored condition and not directly form the Finnish government. But I could be wrong about that.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>The difference is the other armies had domestic models or sufficient(ish) numbers of purchased models to supplement the captured vehicles while Finland could/had to initially rely on the "supply" of captured vehicles and spares to solve any logistical problems. The only models that could not be maintained in this manner were the Landsverk Anti AAA vehicles and the Stugs. <hr></blockquote>

I generally agree, but I think you are missing one crucial point. Some Soviet AFVs were never pressed into service because they were too much of a problem to support. The Finns had what... one KV-1 in service at a time? (or something like that). Certainly they had the chance to acquire more from the battlefield, but for various reasons were not able to use more than a couple through the course of the entire war.

Interesting note the Romanians were initially given PzIVs before the Stalingrad disaster with NO AMMO!! Since they had never before had such a vehicle they had no ammo of their own to use. Good planning!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>These were largely relegated to the rear echelon and home front troops (AAA etc). Models like the Italian Manlichter-Carcano PoS were among them (IIRC the one LHO supposedly used was ex Finnish stock). <hr></blockquote>

This was very similar for the Romanians in particular, who in fact had the same Italian Manlichter-Carcano in service with their rear units smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Finnish field artillery had over 60 models and almost as many calibers.<hr></blockquote>

Tell me about it :( They have probably more artillery models available to them at any on time than probably the Germans or the Soviets. And yes, we are simulating a very large number of them.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Any time period related modifiers ?...what about OOB's ? ... A Brigade OOB's there is a Jääkäri company as an organic part of the OOB. In the armoured brigade/division all the infantry formations were Jääkäri formations That would mean that a Jääkäri company should cost a different amount of points for the regular infantry (unless it is an organic part of the formation) than it would cost to a formation which had them in their organic OOB. Right ?<hr></blockquote>

The Rarity system works by month, so something less common early can become more common later, or vice versa. The Germans, for example, had a few Typ 36 Infantrie Divisions left in service as the war ended. I think we are going to keep the TO&E available for purchase, but it will be super Rare.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Also, during intense fighting it was common for the OOB to get mixed. It was common for companies that got mixed up to form impromptu gaggles that fought on instead of losing time reorganizing themselves into proper formations. In the CM timeframe that would mean pristine OOB's would be a rarity unless each and every CM engagement starts from the start of the battle and not from the middle of the battle. Which would render the fitness and other similar settings illogical if they are global settings. How often was a reinforcement unit already exhausted when it arrived at the scene, even if it was already present at the start of the CM battle and does not arrive as reinforcement during the battle ?<hr></blockquote>

In the Editor all of these things can be customized. This will allow you to have worn out frontline troops and fresh reserves. But for Quick Battles this is far too detailed and can not be done easily, which defeats the purpose of Quick Battles smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Which brings me to the split squad morale hit: why was it induced in the first place in CMBO ? Any chance it will be done away with in CMBB ?<hr></blockquote>

It was introduced to a) prevent the Gamey use of Split Squads (i.e. doubling your force, which the game and graphics system was NOT designed to handle) and B) to realistically penalize the player for spreading forces too thinly. There is a reason why the Squad size has not changed much in the last 60 years or so. A particular number (8-10 men) was found to be effective in terms of combat and staying power. Starting off with only 4-5 men eliminates staying power and greatly reduces combat power derived from combined efforts of a larger group.

So the reasons for split squads is just as valid in CMBB as it is in CMBO, and therefore we are obviously not going to change things. We are hoping to make battle scared units, which start off the game fewer men, less brittle than a unit which becomes reduced during the game through splitting or losses. I'm pretty sure this will go in, but honestly can not remember where that issue is at this moment.

Steve

Brain,

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Personally, I'd rather see the Su76i, rather than the Ferdinand. Both would be nice but as I've said in the past I wonder if sometimes the wargamers' own delight with the weirdy, wacky and the wonderful blinds us to making sure, as I said, the mundane aspects are done correctly.<hr></blockquote>

You know, besides the "rather see the SU76i" statement, I don't think I could have said this better myself smile.gif We only have so much time to do things and the list of "cool!" stuff is far too long to get everything in AND the mundane as well. So when push comes to shove, mundane wins. Even then we have to pick and choose there too :(

While the SU76i would be cool to see in the game, it is not likely to happen. It was fielded in very small numbers for a fairly limited time. Sure, something like the Ferdinand was as well, but more of them were present at one time and in one place than the SU76i.

More importantly, as Mattias pointed out, the SU76i was more redundant to other more plentiful Soviet AFVs while the Ferdinand was unique in many ways. Many people find these unique qualities to be very interesting, and in fact far more interesting than what the SU76i has to offer in a game/tactics sense. Therefore, from an interest AND impact point of view, the Ferdinand wins out hands down.

There were two vehicles not included in CMBO that hammer home the importance of staying focused when making decisions about what to include:

1. Sturmtiger - we caught so much crap for NOT including this vehicle, even though only nine of them were documented to have fought against the Allies in one single battle, of which only scetchy battlefield reports are available. Some people even thought that CMBO was a total write off because of our decision to exclude this vehicle, which just goes to show how narrow minded some people can be smile.gif

2. M16 (US Quad 50 cal HT) - we have also caught a lot of crap for not including this one too. We had it on our list of things to do but simply ran out of time. The Germans received flak vehicles first because, in theory, they were more likely to be used since, in theory, the Allies were more likely to have aircraft. We did not put such vehicles in the game to be the übergamey vehicles we have seen since the release. Had we know this we would have either excluded all AAA vehicles or made sure that the Allies got a few of their own. Life is but a never ending learning experience smile.gif

Steve