Historical Question, Tracers

Ok,

This may be stupid but....

Downloaded Capt. Wacky's Tracer Mods and I was curious if anyone knows what actual color the two sides used historically? Were the German tracers orange and Russian yellow? Were they intermixed? Does anyone care or is there any historical reference to this? I am picky for historical accuracy and this is totally minor but thought it would be cool to put the right color with the right side. BTW, I'm using Capt's red orange tracers for the Germans and yellow green for the Russians now. They look great! Thanks Capt. Wacky!

I remember just this debate erupted when CMBO first came out, and the debate caused the German tracer colors to be switched in a patch. So according to that old old debate the German tracer colors should (might) actually be accurate, though I have yet to hear mention of correct Russian tracer colors from anyone yet.

Originally posted by Lord Dragon:

Michael,

I was thinking that it probably wouldn't be documented anywhere and the only knowing answer would be from eye witness accounts. Not an easy subject to find info on.

smile.gif

Yeah, but if a vet could remember the flares, I bet he remembers the tracers...try posting at feldgrau.net, they might be able to help?

Russian tracers in the 50's to the 70's were green, maybe they were the same in WWII?

Is it too much to ask BFC to model gyroscopic precession on tracers for CM2? - Russian tracers spiral counter-clockwise while western tracers do so clockwise, I got to witness this while flying over Mogadishu.

Gyrene

Nah, we just used colors we thought were easy to see. Since they are not true tracers as such (far too big) in actuality they are outgoing fire indicators and meant as a game aid we didnt try to research them all that much.

If memory serves, people on the IL-2 forums conducted a rather lenghty invesitagation themseleves about tracer color and found that many different colors were used, but that might have just been for aircraft.

Madmatt