Why does the computer always buy Pioneers?

I have started a few QBs where I allow the computer to pick forces. It seems to me the computer picks Pioneer infantry far too often, even with rarity on. Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW - I had hoped Random troop purchases would have been a little "smarter" than they are. If all parameters are set to Random, it is possible to get results which are highly implausible. Example - I recently got some Unfit German Pioneers in June 1941.

Apparently the selector just grabs a unit from the infantry menu randomly.

In timeframes or for forces where there are different pioneer outfits the chance to "hit" one of them raises consierably. Hav a look at June 43 south mechanized division Axis. 4 different kinds of pioneers, 5 different kinds of infantry,a nd on top of that some of the pioneer outfits have more than one platoon type. Just randomly selecting will come up with pioneers in more than 50% of the cases.

Rarity does not work on this level. Rarity dictates how likely you are to get mechanized infantry for this timeframe in this region. But once selected June 43 south there is no firther rarity applied to the selectable units.

At least the halftrack APCs you get so often on defense are halfway useful now...

Redwolf is spot on, but it's bloody annoying having these massed satchel charge exchanges.

The fix would seem to be introducing a loading on the Random 'dice roll' away from exotics like pioneers and towards more regular formations.

One other thing which would help is an adjustment to the AI's tendency to buy entire battalions of them. IE: If Random troop type chosen = pioneers then buy 1 Co (or perhaps even just 1 Plt) and roll again.

Pretty sure I saw this Pioneer issue in my QB game last night. I ended up with something like 9 FT's as a result. Would have been fine if I were fighting in the streets, but they will be pretty useless on offense on the fairly open map I'm playing.

I have not really noticed that they 'always' do it, but happens a lot more than I would purchase them! As far as I know though, it is a random selection, not a weighted selection.

Computer always seems to purchase green troops when I am playing with computer pick for me . . . nothing like getting a conscript Panther tank smile.gif

Chad

Yeah, what the hell is the deal with all these pioneer troops? Im gettting them like 80-90% of the time. A few days ago i tried a little test out. Basically put everything on random and generated several QB's to see what the AI would pick for me. Guess what, everytime i had pioneer troops. Also, the times that i do play out a QB to its end, the ruskies also have some pioneer troops. IMHO, this is pretty lame. :(

But hey, its still a great game! ;)