What can damage buildings?

I know high explosive rounds can damage, and eventually collapse, buildings. However, I was recently surprised to learn that panzershcrecks can inflict damage on a building (I found out when a single panzerschrek round collapsed an already damaged church, causing 39 casualties). I would assume bazooka rounds can also damage buildings.

Can other infantry weapons cause building damage (e.g., panzerfausts, demo charges, rifle grenades, etc.). Anybody know what else can cause building damage?

I believe that any weapon which has a 'blast value' listed will damage buildings. I know that satchel charges/gammon bombs will do so as well. Not sure about hand grenades (and mines) but they probably do, though very slightly.

I'll try running a test with mines...

That church was probably on the verge of collapse, and the small blast from the shrek pushed it over the edge. The resulting nuclear explosion must have made the skrek appear to be an uberrocketlauncher. smile.gif

Does anyone know if BTS has plans to change the building explosions for CMBB?

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

That church was probably on the verge of collapse, and the small blast from the shrek pushed it over the edge. The resulting nuclear explosion must have made the skrek appear to be an uberrocketlauncher. smile.gif

Does anyone know if BTS has plans to change the building explosions for CMBB?

You are absolutely right. I had hammered on the church with a StuG earlier in the game. This was the demo version, so there was no indication of the damage level to the church, nor did the guys inside try to bail out before the place collapsed. Both of those features in the full version help to prevent this type of unexpected disaster. I’m still wondering, though, whether grenades and panzerfausts can damage buildings. The grenade question is especially important since you wouldn’t want to enter hand-to-hand combat in a ** damaged building if a simple grenade toss could bring the roof down.

It would be nice if CMBB distingusihed between a building blowing up and one that just collapses through different animations.

I just ran some tests with anti personel mines placed inside a building and it appears that even a **damaged wooden building will never collapse from antipersonel mine explosions inside, no matter how many of them there are. (I had over 80 mine explosions inside after the building was exactly one 37mm HE shell away from collapse)

Up until now, I can say that I have never seen a ** building collapse from a hand grenade, although a satchel charge can definitely do it.

By way of an explanation, I would guess that CMBB does not model mines as having a blast value at all. Instead, if a mine casualty is 'in the dice roll', the explosion graphic and sound is just put in. i.e. the casualty resolution takes place entirely independantly of any consideration of blast value.

This is almost unbelieveable, but it's the truth. I saw a "Damaged" bldg go to "Heavily Damaged" after a normal infantry machine gun hit it, dunno if it was .30, .50, MG42 or what. Apparently you don't only need blast factor, and also, the damage is tracked quite precisely if MG fire affects it.

Of course, if anyone else knows better, perhaps I'm wrong and it was a grenade I didn't notice doing the damage- it was many months ago that I saw this.

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by CMplayer:

Up until now, I can say that I have never seen a ** building collapse from a hand grenade

I've seen a hand grenade take out a large heavy ** building. That hurt :D

Just checked with machine guns. 40 ma deuces could not affect the damage status of a wooden building no matter how long they fired at it.

This is also, perhaps not really quite properly modelled. Seriously, 40 50cal MGs firing for 6-7 minutes at a wooden building could probably sever all the main beams/supports without any trouble.

LOL pondscum, yea m8 I'm 99% sure hand grenades damage buildings. I remember an old TCP game, two Coys going tooth n nail at each other, almost point blank, no heavy weapons were involved as far as i could tell, the only HE was hand grenades and a heavy damaged building came tumbling down. Both of us had troops in said building, two very unhappy bunnies. :D

Just tested the grenades. Germans had only infantry HQs to rule out faust blasts.

First a priest reduced the building to **, then the infantry went at it at close range. It took about twenty-thirty(I guess) grenade blasts inside the Heavy Large building to bring it down. The priest did not fire again, and there were no other weapons than small arms.

I don't think this is too unrealistic. A building just on the verge of collapse could be brought down by something small.

The moral, of course, is to treat all ** buildings as the potential deathtraps they are and stay out of them. Even * buildings that are currently under HE fire should be vacated since they could blow before another turn is over. Then you can return to the rubble, which makes excellent cover.

Also, I'm learning that exploding buidings can be death to kubelwagens and the like,if they're in the vicinity. The blast effect of an exploding building on nearby squishies might be worth studying.

[ May 07, 2002, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Just checked with machine guns. 40 ma deuces could not affect the damage status of a wooden building no matter how long they fired at it.

This is also, perhaps not really quite properly modelled. Seriously, 40 50cal MGs firing for 6-7 minutes at a wooden building could probably sever all the main beams/supports without any trouble.

OK, maybe it was a grenade or sumpin'. Dunno...was too long ago for me to remember.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I don't think this is too unrealistic. A building just on the verge of collapse could be brought down by something small.

In this case it must be so rickety that a good kick to the right place would do the job.