Flamethrowers. .. Useful Now?

I just watched my German FT nail two BT-7's that made the mistake of rounding a corner of a heavy factory building where it was hidden in the corner of some rubble at the blind end of their approach. Their pals in the other end of the factory roasted up some Commie infantry pretty nice.

Looked right useful to me! :D

[ September 27, 2002, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

I've always loved FT units, even in CMBO. Infantry FT teams are tricky and some consider the proper employment of them an art.

I haven't tried Infantry FT teams in CMBB yet, but I've tried the Flammpanzer III and I absolutely love it. It's turreted, fairly mobile and the front should shrug off small caliber shells. To top it off, IIRC it has the capacity for about 90 attacks with the turret mounted FT. A real blast compared to the Hetzer version.

They can move fast now, that is pretty much the biggest change. They do not run like squads, but they are substancially faster than "move".

I also noticed that smallrms fire doesn't kill them as easily as before, but that was one test only and might be imagination.

I tried a German pioneer battalion in a quick battle vs the AI. The flamethrowers were a substantial improvement. The map did have a lot of bush on it so they did get some advantages. The biggest problems were that they tired so easily (though they were in the weakened state so that would have contributed to it). The ability to run allows them to close and fire before being killed and I think I agree with redwolf that they are a bit harder to kill.

Using more than one at a time makes suppressing them a bit more difficult. I rescued a couple of platoons that had run into trouble with the flamethrowers that had lagged behind. The russian ambush just dissolved when the 4 flamethrowers opened up on them. I lost just 2 of ~ 12 or so for the whole game - not too bad really.

I had a German flamethrower in a June '41 QB stop a Soviet armored counter punch by flaming a T-34 and a tankette. The AI charged my infantry w/ armor, into a scattered tree line. Fortunately, the infantry was a Pioneer unit, and the FT torched two of the 3 charging tanks in successive turns! (The last tankette's crew bailed after getting hammered by 2 MG 42's).

I dont' remember EVER killing a tank w/ a FT in CMBO...

Originally posted by Kalar:

I dont' remember EVER killing a tank w/ a FT in CMBO...

I killed a Marder II w/ an FT in my SRE once, but it was vs. the AI. They are such a blast to use once you get the hang of them. The Canadian's Badger FT tank rocks! Kind of a baby Flammpanzer Hetzer: faster, and w/ sloped (Stuart chassis) armor, though not quite as good as the Hetzer. Open topped IIRC.

Ive used them in one scenario (never buy pioneers in QB's!!! Free points if they are killed smile.gif ) and placed two of them with a pioneer platoon in a factory. They took out one or two BT's and 15 or 20 infantry kills each. Whoever was under fire from them sure didnt stick around to see how deadly they are now! Then you get to use your MG's on those guys in the open! :eek:

Chad