Newbie question: Which unit to shoot at first?

Lets say I have an ambush setup and am not detected yet. Coming into the ambush I can target an HMG, platoon HQ unit,Arty spotter, or an SMG squad all at about 50 to 75m in the open. Which would you concentrate your fire on first if you think you could eliminate or break the untit you fire at?

All other things being equal, and assuming that the ambushing unit is not armor, I'd wipe out the SMG squad, because they're lethal if you let them get close. Then the platoon HQ - less firepower than the SMG squad but more likely to be veteran and liable to charge you. The FO isn't a threat for 2-3 minutes. And you can take your time and get back to the HMG later, it'll still be there smile.gif

Of course, if you leave it to the TacAI, it'll probably target the FO while the SMG squad walks all over your ambushing troops...

I agree with FreindlyFire except that I would split fire between the SMG and HQ (with 2 squads on SMG and one squad and my HQ on the opossing HQ). This way if the HQ breaks you might get lucky and the rest will become shakey too. A unit without an HQ is delayed in new orders as well. Just some of my thoughts.

deadeye3 biggrin.gif

I strongly disagree with the above, no doubt go for that arty spotter first. Nothing causes more casualties than artillery on the WWII battlefield. Take his arty away and you've got the battle half won. Plus they're easy to kill being an unarmed two man team. A sharpshooter can do the trick too. Next I would go for the Platoon HQ, without him the platoon is as good as dead; much easier to route and they'll have a delayed command delay without their leader, plus they'll lose any bonuses they were getting from the platoon HQ. Kill that arty spotter, if I ever detect one I make it a point to hunt him down and kill him as quickly as possible. Even if he runs away, send a split squad after him. Going after the SMG squad would be my last choice to shoot at in an ambush actually.

I'd split the fire between the spotter and the SMG squad. If he's controlling a battery of mortars, they could be raining down on you in under a minute.

NTM

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

Thanks for all the replies. I usually go for the HQ unit so that I can remove the bonuses from the enemy. The spotters usually get killed by shrapnel or stray bullets smile.gif, but I should probably concentrate on them first.

Get the spotter first. Since it only has two men it will die fast. This will leave plenty of time to take out everyone else. The HQ is probably the next best bet. If you have an entire platoon or larger then I would spread the fire out. Maybe one or two squads on the leader. the rest of your men firing on the others.