Two Ami CM'ers Coming to UK

Well here's hoping you have a great holiday and a few things you might want to note .

Bovington is a couple of miles out from Wool station , there is only 1 taxi (Wool is a very small place) so nab it quick if the bus isnt around , take his mobile no and he will pick you up when your done . Also as you come out of the station look over to the left , by the road junction there is a good pub , they might even have their bbq going with luck .

For Normandy I would recommend The Holts guide to the Battlefield its one of the best.

Standing on one of the beaches at 6 am is something so atmospheric and moving

I would go to hill 112 with binoculars then you can really see its importance on the battlefield

Take some time in the Imperial War Museum its worth a day in itself .

I don't know about the availability of maps in the US, but in London the mother of all map shops would be Stanfords in Covent Garden - if they haven't got a map it probably doesn't exist.

Their web site at this address gives details of their stock and also has a small map showing how to get there from the nearest tube.

Originally posted by Andreas:

And there I was, thinking it was all about having a pint at The George... :D

I don't suppose that would be "The George and the Dragon Inn" in Speldhurst near Tunbridge Wells? Probably not, there must be thousands of "The George..."s' in Pommy Land.

I might be wandering in there for a feed Sunday week.

OGSF

Imperial war museum info:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/

The Duxford air show is well worth a visit.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/

"Sat-Sun 13th/14th July 2002 - Flying Legends Air Show

Established as the warbird show in Europe, Flying Legends brings together an unparalleled selection of classic American and European fighting aircraft including Spitfires and Mustangs. Both days culminate with a mass flypast."

[ May 22, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Lah ]

OGSF said:

I don't suppose that would be "The George and the Dragon Inn" in Speldhurst near Tunbridge Wells? Probably not, there must be thousands of "The George..."s' in Pommy Land.

OGSF

That's about 2 miles away from me. Nice pub. smile.gif

Originally posted by OGSF:

OGSF

The George is the regular venue for the 'London unhinged CMBx nutters meet' which is organised by yours truly and features regular appearances by John Salt, Kip and me, and less regular ones by Justin, and various others. Even Hakko Ichiu is reported to have been there. All welcome. Email me if you are interested in the next one.

Soddball - still waiting for you to make an appearance. Don't force me to come out to Tunbridge.

039950_l.jpg

[ May 22, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Make it three Amis in Europe! I will be in London July 9th-12th, and again on the 17th and 18th.

Andreas, that pub looks LOVELY. Sure isn't like anything I have here is Tucson! I hope I can make it.

[ May 23, 2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Runyan99 ]

I feel a big, bloody booze up coming! Simon Elwen has offered to meet us in Tunbridge Wells(or maybe London). He is going to corral fellow Brit CM'ers that he knows. OMG, can you see about 10 or so of us, pissed, and arguing about muzzle velocities and penetration values? The lasses will be all over us!!! It will be the easiest line I've ever used on a woman! It will be, uh, what were we talking about?

So, lads, two sunburned, battle-crazed Americans (plus Runyan99 if he's anywhere aboot) will be arriving on English shores somewhere around July 7-8th. I'll have my laptop with CMBO loaded (wouldn't it be nice if CMBB was out then)and looking for trouble, and liquid bread, and, well, women too (but notice my priorities!).

Thanks for all the posts here, guys. Already ordering recommended books and guides thru Amazon. I'll keep posting here, even as we arrive, to coordinate plans, tell you of our adventures, send along pickies, and make you drool! Cheers!

Shawn McCaslin & Paul deHolczer

Hi CMers! I am Kiltie Lad's (Shawn's) friend (for the past 25 years -- I think I deserve a medal or sympathy or something). This whole trip was MY idea so don't get too misty-eyed over him. The fact is, he spends more time typing here than actually planning our trip to Jolly Olde Englande and Normandy.

Anyway, I speak for us both when I say we appreciate any and all advice anyone offers. We really want to have a good trip and would be happy to share information with y'all who can't go this time but might go another day. Also, there is hospitality on this side of the Big Pond for CMers who come to the sunny Southern US.

So, again, thank y'all! pdvincit@sc.rr.com

Paul deHolczer

[ May 23, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: PDVincit ]

Originally posted by Kiltie Lad:

I feel a big, bloody booze up coming!

When you get drunk, just don't steer the discussions on to anything that reminds Andreas of Abba. If you do he might get all exited and begin to sing random Abba song. Believe me, I have seen it, and it is not a pretty sight. :D

I hope you enjoy your stay in Europe.

M

When visiting Belgium :

La Roche : Great museum, several allied tanks in the town on display, historical towncenter.

Bastogne: American memorial, a sherman on display on the marketsquare, very tourist-friendly, surrounded by a few other interresting things (a German cemetary ea.)

Poitau (or something like it) : there is a guy who has it's own German halftrack and drives you around the battlefields, you can find him on the internet if you look really hard smile.gif

If you can, go and see Ieper, it has a good museum (in flanders fields) and noteworthy monuments (esp. WW1) , and a good museum with a very nice exhibition until next november: dead lines :

http://www.inflandersfields.be/english/eng-index.html

(Don't visit Flanders if you are looking for ww2 stuff, better go to the Ardennes.)

If needed any info just e-mail me.

Originally posted by Kiltie Lad:

I feel a big, bloody booze up coming! Simon Elwen has offered to meet us in Tunbridge Wells(or maybe London). He is going to corral fellow Brit CM'ers that he knows. OMG, can you see about 10 or so of us, pissed, and arguing about muzzle velocities and penetration values? The lasses will be all over us!!! It will be the easiest line I've ever used on a woman! It will be, uh, what were we talking about?

So, lads, two sunburned, battle-crazed Americans (plus Runyan99 if he's anywhere aboot) will be arriving on English shores somewhere around July 7-8th. I'll have my laptop with CMBO loaded (wouldn't it be nice if CMBB was out then)and looking for trouble, and liquid bread, and, well, women too (but notice my priorities!).

Thanks for all the posts here, guys. Already ordering recommended books and guides thru Amazon. I'll keep posting here, even as we arrive, to coordinate plans, tell you of our adventures, send along pickies, and make you drool! Cheers!

Shawn McCaslin & Paul deHolczer

My services are at your command (grovel, creep). Bovington still on? Let me know, may be able to help.

Yeknod

I rented a car and travelled in Normandy for a week. If you know WWII it's no problem. Don't know anything about the tours, I'm sure they're fine as well. Myself I felt I didn't want to rush my visit.

I walked the beaches and felt the sand between my toes. Saving Private Ryan was in my mind when I looked upon the ridge, imagining a firing MG in the remaining nests. It was an overwhelming feeling, I had to sit down. My respect for those who charged the beach grew considerably, what a nightmare.

Some nice musuems in the area. At Utah Beach there's one in an old bunker (W5). A few of the roads the engineers built to get off the beach are still there. They carry the name of soldiers who didn't make it off the beach. In St Mere-Eglise there's a museum dedicated to 82nd airborne. The Memorial in Caen is worth a visit as well. If you have the time spend a few days along the beaches, there's a lot of small places dedicated to the beach landings.