howdy! i'm a new member

i posted a howdy on the scenario forum, but they said i should post it here, since this is where all the gabby members post. lol..

anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. i'm 45 from texas. i've been wargaming since the mid 70s, and playing cmbo since early 2001 and i think it's the greatest wargame i've ever seen. i'm looking forward to the release of cmbb even more as i'm very interested in the eastern front, and reallize the importance it had in the allied victory in europe. i also enjoy rts type games such as c&c, ra, starcraft, etc.

well that's about it for now. just wanted to say howdy and pay my respects to the forum....

by the way, it's nice to see a forum with so little flaming as you find on most game boards. i would be interested in knowing what the average age of the members are as i'm guessing it's much higher than the average game forum.

Originally posted by zukkov:

... i'm looking forward to the release of cmbb even more as i'm very interested in the eastern front, and ...

Who would have guessed, based on your "name"? :rolleyes:

This forum is made up of a great bunch of people, who are disgustingly intelligent. I suspect MENSA would love to draft the entire membership. With the possible exception of the Neanderthals who post ad nauseam on the "Peng Challenge Thread". :D

Welcome!

Dear Dave,

Settle down. The Peng thead is chock full of swell folks with tons of brains and an overabundance of wit. Their wealth of grog knowledge is saved for other areas of the board. Don't sell them short.

Love,

Elvis

P.S. zukkov, between you and I most of the Peng thread folks are a pack of wankers.

Yeah Welcome to the forum. I'm from Texas also, Austin actually. Where might you be living if you don't mind saying. If you do no big deal but welcome anyway and you are in for the treat of your life with this game. I know you will have many many years of fun.

Originally posted by Elvis:

Dear Dave,

Settle down. The Peng thead is chock full of swell folks with tons of brains and an overabundance of wit. Their wealth of grog knowledge is saved for other areas of the board. Don't sell them short.

Love,

Elvis

P.S. zukkov, between you and I most of the Peng thread folks are a pack of wankers.

Actually it is pretty difficult to sell them short, considering their already low price on the stock market. Still, if the General area is the digestive track of the forum, and the CM forum the brain, then the Peng forum is the heart.

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Actually it is pretty difficult to sell them short, considering their already low price on the stock market. Still, if the General area is the digestive track of the forum, and the CM forum the brain, then the Peng forum is the heart.

Is it too late for the forum to get on the heart transplant list?

[ April 22, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

lcm, i'm from killeen, not too far north of you. i have a sister that lives in austin, west of oakhill, off of 290. with the traffic there, i told her if she wants me to visit, better send my brother in law with his blackhawk(he flies full time national guard there)! lol..

and thanks to all who welcomed me here. i feel right at home now!

one more question. i'll bet this has been posted as well, but i'll ask it anyway. i mean, what else are newbies for anyway? lol.. any hints as to what may be in the works beyond cmbb? i was just wondering if they had a modern warfare game in mind?

and yes, i do admire the soviet army for what they were able to achieve in ww2. killed 10 million of em and they still kept coming!

Originally posted by Dave H:

Is it too late for the forum to get on the heart transplant list?

You're a cruel, cruel man, Dave H.

Hiya zukkov. I see you've played RA and I assume RA2. Same here, but once I started with CMBO, I never looked back.

By the way, if you look upon the boards here as the body of CM, then the Peng thread is indeed the heart, nay...the very soul of the boards.

Welcome, comrade.

Yes, the next CM has got me wound up beyond acceptable geek levels. I'm currently reading two eastern front books, building a Panzerkampfwagen IV kit (hopefully, to be used in an eastern front-themed diorama), and looking for related DVDs for my budding WWII collection.

Unfortunately (or not?), the release of CMBB will probably put all of those other silly interests on the back burner indefinitely. I suppose that's okay, since it will essentially replace them all anyway.

Anyway, enjoy the game (and the community), and say goodbye to your real life for awhile!

Originally posted by zukkov:

...any hints as to what may be in the works beyond cmbb? i was just wondering if they had a modern warfare game in mind?

The posted schedule is that after CM:BB there will be a bit of a break while the game engine is rewritten. Then the next game will be set in the Med/North Africa 1940-43 or so (possibly to the end of the war). Then the fourth game will cover the early war years 1939-41. Poland & France and not sure what else. Not sure just where the Balkan Campaign will go.

No modern game is planned. BTS has been pretty adamant about that. No Pacific game either, unless a really strong case can be made for it, and maybe not even then. You have to understand that Charles and Steve follow their own interests, and those center on the war against Germany.

If you want a modern game, you could hardly do better than TacOps, which is also purchased through Battlefront. A new release, v4, should be out within weeks.

Oh, and howdy! I spent a weekend in Austin about 30 years ago. I liked it but found the Bell Tower kind of creepy.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Oh, and howdy! I spent a weekend in Austin about 30 years ago. I liked it but found the Bell Tower kind of creepy.

Michael

It is an early Monday morning.

The sun is becoming bright on the land.

No one is watching as he comes a walking.

Two bulky suitcases hang from his hands.

Originally posted by Binkie:

Isn't there an "h" in there somewhere?

yes indeed. my nickname comes from the hero of stalingrad, marshall georgi zhukov. i misspelled it on purpose because years ago i tried using it correctly on kali(a gaming site), but it was taken, so it's been zukkov ever since. lol..

Originally posted by jjelinek:

Welcome comrad Zukkov, I'll bet your probably an old Squad Leader and Panzer Blitz player.

how'd you guess?? lol.. actually i played a lot more of sl than pb. i also enjoyed playing rise and fall of the third reich, and many other board games too numerous to mention. now my interest is strictly 'puter games. and now that there is combat mission, it makes it difficult for me to return to games that have the old cardboard counter look. i do love those realistic graphics and sounds!

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

You're a cruel, cruel man, Dave H.

etc, etc, etc

By the way, if you look upon the boards here as the body of CM, then the Peng thread is indeed the heart, nay...the very soul of the boards.

It's always seemed more like the appendix or the tonsils to me. tongue.gif And thanks for the compliment. :D

it makes it difficult for me to return to games that have the old cardboard counter look
Makes it difficult for me to return to work frankly. Yeah, I'm 48 meself. Good to have another OF around here. Like they said, the spread is pretty deep.

Well welcome to the reformatory. Good to see a fresh face. smile.gif

[ April 23, 2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]