New Mortar Textures In 1.01 Patch?

Bonjour fellas,

Downloaded & installed CMMOS 4.0... NO PROBLEM... works great... CMBB MUCH better now... having a blast... :D

Downloaded & installed 1.01 Patch... NO PROBLEM... works great... CMBB MUCH better now... having a blast... :D

Downloaded & installed the 'Stalingrad Pack'... really good stuff... been messing around with the 22nd Panzer Division Scenario... I call it 'General Mouse and the 20 Tanks'...

You know, the one where General Leutnant Heim goes looking for the Russians and finally finds them at Peschanyy village... as if they were going to be hard to find anyhow!... hahahahahaha...

By the way, I did some research and found that scenario on page 192 of my copy of "Enemy At The Gates"... and, did you know that Heim was later recalled and courtmartialed for withdrawing and not breaking thru with the 48th Panzer Corps?...

I have an idea... what about a Stalingrad scenario from page 240?... the one where the 6th Panzer Division tries a breakout from the 'Kessel' and runs smack dab into 300 Russian T-34's... what a shootout that would be...

[Edit: Wrong!... The 6th Panzer Division was part of the 57th Panzer Corps... and was trying to break into the 'Kessel' from the southwest...]

Anyway, I digress... my question is this:

Is it just me or do the man-carried mortars still look the same?... I thought that new textures for mortars were in the 1.01 patch?... :confused: ... just thought I'd ask...

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

[ November 22, 2002, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Duke of Earl ]

Well... I hate to say it... but the 1.01 mortar 'smoke puff' is a real 'cream-puff'... it looks like a semi-transparent dwarf belch coming out of the end of the tube... not quite the same as the old CMBO hemispherical smoke puff... so, maybe I was expecting too much anyway...

You guys do know, don't you, that mortars—at least those of 82mm and smaller—really didn't smoke all that much. They used small propellant charges compared to rifled artillery, really small if the range was close. That's also why they didn't make a really big bang.

Michael

Originally posted by Duke of Earl:

Bonjour,

When I open the .bmp with M$Paint... 3488 looks like a grey postage stamp... are you sure this is a mortar tube texture?

Yes, they are!

Just re-paint them with any neon color and start the game. Ta-da !

Marcus

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

You guys do know, don't you, that mortars—at least those of 82mm and smaller—really didn't smoke all that much. They used small propellant charges compared to rifled artillery, really small if the range was close. That's also why they didn't make a really big bang.

Michael

As a former MFC/CPO in the Mortar Pl in the British Army, I concur that the 81mm mortar does not produce much smoke when firing, however, as for the bang, it's loud enough when your firing rounds continuously, I can vouch for that!

Originally posted by athkatla:

...as for the bang, it's loud enough when your firing rounds continuously, I can vouch for that!

No doubt with your head anywhere near the muzzle that is true! But I was comparing it to a full-sized artillery piece, which puts out a pretty hefty blast. Even more, a modern tank which can knock you on your ass with its muzzle blast.

Michael

Bonjour,

The CMBO mortar puff was pretty good... I liked it... so, why can't that one be used now?...

No joke, this 1.01 CMBB thing looks like a slow motion beer belch lazily floating out of a drain pipe to dissipate into thin air... not even enough decent speed on that thing to remotely call it a 'puff'...

I have never tried to mod anything before... all these textures seem way too big and complicated... and I am way too inexperienced... but, this mortar texture is pretty small deal... a good beginner's project, probably...