Holy Canister Shells Batman!

Did anyone else play a scenario and all the suden it looked like a civil war battle with grape shot???? Canister shells in the Pacific, sure, why not. But when my T-34 unleashed those canister shells!!!! :eek: One T-34 alone with 8 canister shells, took out 45 infantry at close range!!! It was used on me also. In one shot of close range cannister, I lost 12 men (including my full strength company HQ!!)!

This game is just full of surprises!

Chad

If it was so effective, why werent they used on the western front and elsewhere? Why didnt the Brits\Ami's use cannister shot? I always did wonder that, it would make sense to have a shotgun effect ordinance against soft targets.

Any specifics on the cannisters, how many pellets, how big the pellets, range, ect....??

Thanks in advance!

68% D\L completed, one hour to go! Damn 56k.....

I suspect (but you need a gunnery grog to confirm) that later in the war, the HE load of shells from the larger calibre weapons was deemed to be sufficient to do away with cannister. After all, it just adds another type of ammo that has to be produced, distributed and stockpiled.

Canister is great but very narrow purpose. As good as it is vs Infantry it sucks vs everything else.

If you were a TC would you rather have canister that has a fairly short range or less effective vs Inf HE which can also blow up bldgs, ATGs, soft vehicles, etc. all at range?

Not that I know anything, just know what ammo I would want.

Hmmm, I wonder if it was Canister shot that I was noticing. I'm at work now so I can't check, however I noticed that the blast values are different for a sim cal gun (compared to CMBO). So the German 75mm gunst with a blast of ~34, I thought I saw some 75mm with a blast of ~46?

Anyone know if the effectiveness of blast values have been changed in CMBB?

-r

Originally posted by ryddle:

Hmmm, I wonder if it was Canister shot that I was noticing. I'm at work now so I can't check, however I noticed that the blast values are different for a sim cal gun (compared to CMBO). So the German 75mm gunst with a blast of ~34, I thought I saw some 75mm with a blast of ~46?

Anyone know if the effectiveness of blast values have been changed in CMBB?

-r

I noticed that the T34 had quite a huge blast that was out of touch with how effective their HE was. I dont think that they have changed the scale because look at the 50mm mortars, they are still around 5 blast.

Does anyone else know why the T34 has such a high blast for its HE? Is that the blast for canister?

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Does anyone else know why the T34 has such a high blast for its HE? Is that the blast for canister?

The nister doesn't have a blast value.

The soviets always built their tank guns to have good HE shells. When you compare Soviet and Western tank guns of the same penetration value you will always see the Soviet weapon have a larger caliber and lower velocity. The 76mm on the T-34 has almost the blast of a German 88.

It seems to me that BFC turned the killing effect of HE down in CMBB. The supressive effect, especially from very small rounds like the 50mm mortar, seem to be raised.