14 inch arty

Warhammer

If you REALLY want to include that beast, don't give too many ammos unless you're going to give lots of reinforecement to the German...

I'm playing WBW's "To the last man" as German right now, and that 14 inch beast annialated a fresh vet platoon of mine with one shot. That "ONE" shot also knocked out 2 small heavy buildings and one light building.

And that hurts!!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Actually, they're still available through August 44.<hr></blockquote>

Actually, they are availible thru May 45. You can set your time period to June / August 44, purchase the spotter, then go back and change the date to whenever you want.

You could have them bombard fanatical Nazi holdouts in Bavaria, or have Super Pershings roll ashore at Utah beach.

Guest Panzer Boxb

I designed a scenario based on the 6thFJ B1 attempted breakout from Carentan. A salvo (s) of 14inch rained upon the Germans who were spread out

and about to overun the Americas. They were not spread out enough and the entire attack was lost.

Some two platoons, the company HQ, and all supporting units. The Americas lost a few men too in the barrage.

A loud firefight, quickly followed by the incoming shells, massive explosions, followed by dead silence.

And some lone American, shouting .................................

ceasefire! :eek:

-Mike Z.

Thanks everyone!

I did some testing last night thru the above scenario, and the effects they had on AFV from

100 meters was amazing! The accuracy wasn't

bad either. It looked quite strange to see whole

platoons just lay down and die where they were.

I aggree with the low rounds and reinforcements.

I almost feel sorry for those poor Nazi bastards!

nah!!!!

Thanks again!

da Hammer

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by edward_n_kelly:

Why not 15in Mk1 rounds from HMS Warspite ? Now she could shoot !

Edward<hr></blockquote>

I've been wondering about 5 inch naval guns too. Damned near every ship had them. They certainly were fired more than any 12" or bigger guns.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

I've been wondering about 5 inch naval guns too. Damned near every ship had them. They certainly were fired more than any 12" or bigger guns.<hr></blockquote>

They'd be pretty handy, too, wouldn't they. My understanding is that close range direct fire from destroyers who came right up close to the shoreline largely turned tide in Omaha beach. All the FO radios got swamped, but I read about a Sherman tank on Omaha that served as impromptu spotter for a destroyer. It would fire it's 75mm at a target, then the destroyer would hammer the target with its fire inch guns. When that target was knocked out, the Sherman would finger another target. Talk about American ingenuity.

I wonder if there's any good film footage of the destroyers firing on Omaha?

Anyway, in CM 4.5 inch or 155mm (roughly 6 inch) FO's are probably pretty close, actually, if you need a stand in for destroyers or light cruisers. For heavy cruisers, us 8 inch.

I'm guessing we'd see more big naval guns in

CM but for one reason: those 14 inchers throw game balance all to hell.

The 4.5" are somewhat overmodeled (because the CM calculation for blast seems to go by total shell weight rather than weight of explosive charge), and that makes them excellent to represent 5" guns from DDs and secondaries on larger warships. The rate of fire is about right too. Don't use the 155s for them - those are 6" and far more powerful per shell.

The 155s are fine to simulate light cruisers, and 8" guns (rather than howitzers) will simulate heavy cruisers. There is little difference on the top end between the 14" and other mongo BB cannons, so you can use them for 15" or 16" too. Thus you can easily recreate any level of naval fire support.

A simulation of D-Day at Omaha might use many 4.5" spotters each with 16-24 shells to show DDs supporting actively from close inshore, and a few 6" and 8" spotters with only 8-12 shells each to simulate rarer cruiser fire missions. Many of the FOs will probably not survive the early assault, and the spotty places where they do will get an effectively random level of support.

As for the 14", they can also be used to simulate the largest bombs - though a number of shells from 240mm or 7.2" howitzer might be used instead (wide sheaf), to show moderate sized bombs. Another clever idea using arty modules for things besides the literal item, in scenarios, is to give a TRP (padlocked set-up) and heavy module with only 1-4 shells to simulate large demolitions charges. Then have the briefing spell out that the only allowed use of the "FO" is to call for fire on that TRP.

For what it is worth...