WWII Panther Recovered buried in "Muck" in Poland.

Kobra

Originally posted by Breakthrough:

I guess thats for someone important to decide... It wasnt my intention to get publicity. I wanted to acknowledge a very well done site. But someone who gets off on playing soldier in a war where the last shot was fired sixty years ago wouldnt understand...

I think he simply meant that it's a bit unclear what the connection of your post and this thread is. I assume there is one, but at a brief glance at the linked sites I couldn't see any such section, so I think Mike's question was valid. Attacking him is undue.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

So where is this museum and how might one get in? I can't find any info about visiting the place.

The museum appears to be on a ranch in Portola Valley, CA, about a half-hour drive from where I'm sitting right now. From the look of it it doesn't appear to be a "museum" in the sense of a place where you go and buy a ticket and they let you in and by the way please visit the gift shop on your way out, but rather a garage full of really cool rich-guy toys that you may be able to visit by special arrangement. That's my assumption, anyway. smile.gif

Hi Andrew (and all)

Yup. Your assumption is correct.

I have been fortunate enough to visit this place and have get a tour. (Filled a memory card with pics, as well.)

It is something else!

It is on Mr. Littlefield's private property so you need to have an invitation.

I meant to upload my pics to the General Forum, but it was too much hassle. Now that I have a DSL, maybe I'll try it again. (But they are pretty much what's on the website.)

The Panther in question was indeed, pretty cool. Apparently the Germans had abandoned it, but not before setting off a demo charge in the interior. (Or so they say.)

Cool place!

Originally posted by Gpig:

Good on yah.

I still don't know what he (Breakthrough) was on about. His first post did/does *seem* out of place.

Gpig

The website incliuded a very well done 9/11 memorial archive in addition to the tank museum pics. I posted my thanks, period. I dont want, nor have ever sought, 'publicity' for my part in a day I'll always recall with sadness. On the other hand, thoughtless comments about that day anger me. No, I shouldnt have posted a reply to MD. I should have just considered the source and ingnored it.

I can see where MD may have been confused by Breakthrough's first post.

Instead of making a stupid remark up front, he might have gone back to the website, as I did, and found the 9/11 references that Breakthrough was talking about.

[ August 16, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I can see where MD may have been confused by Breakthrough's first post.

Instead of making a stupid remark up front, he might have gone back to the website, as I did, and found the 9/11 references that Breakthrough was talking about.

There are no links on the main page to any 9/11 site nor any on the immediately linked to pages that I can see.

Not that I feel any need to try and explain the concept of "humour", but the use of the word "grog" on this forum has generally evolved into a humorous term. For instance, M_Bates could be called a "penis grog" because he started a circumcision thread in the GF.

Sorry it got misinterpreted, but Breakthrough's insulting response didn't bother me - I just considered the source. ;)

Anyway, I still get to "play soldier" on an ongoing basis - had a great weekend, pics are

here

I'm certainly not embarrassed by it - talked to lots of war vets as well as young kids, middleaged people with relatives who served - one guy whose granddad was actually in the 14 CTR/14 CAR (the unit we were portraying). Had a great time, educated some people, and made veterans feel appreciated. Won't apologize for that.

And yes, it was a simple question if the post was in the right thread, cause I don't see a single link to it. Common courtesy kind of holds that if you're going to discuss a link, maybe put it in your post.

The fact that you didn't was kind of ironic, and made the "publicity grog" comment even funnier, well, to me, anyway. YMMV...

Originally posted by Breakthrough:

I posted my thanks, period. I dont want, nor have ever sought, 'publicity' for my part in a day I'll always recall with sadness. On the other hand, thoughtless comments about that day anger me. No, I shouldnt have posted a reply to MD. I should have just considered the source and ingnored it.

No, you made sure to say "I am the Sergeant Holland that is mentioned..."

You could have said "I was mentioned on the memorial page..." ;)

Not really a big deal, I'd be proud to be mentioned in such a context too. But pointing out who you are and then getting upset and abusive because someone teases you about...err...pointing out who you are is just lame.

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Anyway, I still get to "play soldier" on an ongoing basis - had a great weekend, pics are

here

How come the tarp covering the Jeep is made out of vinyl and not canvas? I had the impression historical authenticity was sought at these reenactments? </font>