Hull Down

Through playing these games many times I find that I can get my AFVs into hull down positions by eyeballing it. Am I losing something by not using the command, that is, could I be in a fractionally better hull down position if I had used the command?

Anybody else do it the old fashioned way? Anyone tested HD command vs. human controlled?

As I understand it you are either hull down to a position or you are not. There's no reason for you to go hunting for that spot wich hides all but your turret, if it says hull down, it is hulldown and fine tuning will gain you no added protection.

I wish I knew that earlier, I used to make sure even the lower turret half was hidden. All that effort wasted! :rolleyes:smile.gif

"All that effort wasted!"

Ah, Elmar. Your efforts to seek optimal hull-down wasn't wasted. Half the fun of playing these games is in getting to exercise our imaginations. Would you rather be sitting at your pc simply playing a video game, or would you prefer to let your imagination put you in the thick of the action?

Talk about using your imagiunation, a word to the wise. When advancing with your infantry across open ground make sure they don't step in rabbit holes and twist their ankles ;) .

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

As I understand it you are either hull down to a position or you are not. There's no reason for you to go hunting for that spot wich hides all but your turret, if it says hull down, it is hulldown and fine tuning will gain you no added protection.

I wish I knew that earlier, I used to make sure even the lower turret half was hidden. All that effort wasted! :rolleyes:smile.gif

True, but there is another more important reason to 'fine-tune' the AFV's position. Almost invariably when using the Hunt command, your AFV will stop to engage in a position which makes the enemy hulldown also. Rather wanting to have the advantage myself I use Fast to position my AFVs using the Mark 1 eyeball.

Ron

I've never really got the hang of the "hull down" command. I think this is because I have no idea how it is supposed to work.

As some have said, you are either hull-down or your not.

But you aren't necessarily hull-down to everyone. If they're sat two foot behind you then you're not going to be hull-down as far as their concerned (obviously).

When you use your eyeball to get hull-down then more than likey you are trying to get into a position that is going to be hull down to where (and what height - it makes a difference) you think the (most important) threat is going to be.

I can't really see how the computer does this as it doesn't think like you do.

From what I can see, it just waits until it reaches the first crest on its path and stops so that the turrect can just see over the top in one direction (directly forward). Now, I realise that is virtually a definition of hull-down but in practice it just doesn't seem to work; you just end up in terrible firing position with practically zero field of fire. Normally your eyeball can get a much better position (which may only be a couple of meteres different to what the computer chose) that is hull-down as far as the locations you want it to be and lets you fire into those locations.

The hull-down command can't seem to work out where you want to be hull-down to/from...?

As always, I'm sure I've just put that very badly and someone will say I'm talking rubbish but I know I think I might have a notion of what I'm talking about (probably) :confused: .

Someone must know what I mean...