Military museums at or near Lands End

We rented a cottage for a week in June near Lands End (Pendeen) and I have been looking high and low for places "of interest" around that area. So far I have drawn only gardens and family attraction parks, tin mines and beaches. Now I need some directions to sites which would make the whole trip worth my while. ;)

Bovington could be doable but is too far away even for a day trip by car. Are there any BoB air stations or other military museums or some such which would satisfy a grog ?

Errrrr nope. It's the arse end of the universe as far as militaria goes. Goonhilly is worth a look and of course the Eden project is an absolute must. Both are easily reachable from Lands End. Slapton Sands is the only place I can think of that has a military connection that's within a few hours drive and there is nothing to do other than look at the Sherman they salvaged.

Goonhilly

Eden Project

[ March 03, 2005, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Captain Pies ]

The Lost Gardens an Absolute MUST

http://www.heligan.com/

Nothing to do with the military but a great day out.

Ohh and if you really want some military sites check this site out for some WWII fortifications in the area.

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/projects/dob/

Ohh and while I remember.

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/english-heritage/pendennis.htm

Has some good WWII stuff in the Musuem and some great fortifications to clamber around. My wife took me there for my B'day. She is a lovely woman...

And as for bloody Germans giving tourist advice for the UK I keep telling you Andreas you are an Hon Brit.

H

Originally posted by Andreas:

Well, since the museum is there now, I guess I should have said geography. Or attractions.

Still, last I checked it was part of England, except for a few deadenders.

Not according to the Cornish tongue.gif

And most of the land owned by a German, of course.

Aber naturlich, mein herr. Das ist warum wir alls sehr gut Deutsch gesprecht.

smile.gif

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

Well, since the museum is there now, I guess I should have said geography. Or attractions.

Still, last I checked it was part of England, except for a few deadenders.

Not according to the Cornish tongue.gif </font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

Bovington definitely is a day trip - you are looking at 4-5 hours by car. One-way. yeovilton, home of the Fleet Air Arm museum is almost as bad. 3 hours.

We stayd in Torguay the last time we were there (some two years ago) and even that was too far off. :(

The only time we stayed near enough was on our honeymoon in 1999 the cottage was then in Broadwindsor. I went alone for a day trip and even with 2-3 hours roundtrip the entire visit was almost 8 hours. For some curious reason. ;)