Alternative to ROW

I'd like to see an alternative to ROW. Something more akin to the NCAA. A more casual "season," by that I mean maybe one player at a time. Perhaps with regional brackets or some other demographic criteria. Point is, I don't want to sink my regular CM opponents to committ so heavily to a ROW type tourney.

Couple of other points. I think BFC should have some kind of sponsorship or oversight. Also, ponying up $100 to enter is not that extreme. Consider how much time you spend on CM, time is money. I would envision this as sort of an annual tourney, maybe four month season and 3 month final. Of course with additional thought to CMX2 and other upgrades.

Thoughts?

Now this is interesting....what would the $100 be for? A cash prize to the winner(s)?

Are you hinting at a Professional tournament?

It would be interesting to see how many people would be willing to pay $100 to play in a tournament where the vast majority of the entrance fees go to the winners, with a small cut for "the house".

As the originator of the ROW tournaments, I can tell you that a professional tourney with a $100 entrance fee would be a lot of work to put together. It would take a great deal of thought to do properly. There would be many problems to work out.

I've always thought a Professional tournament with an entrance fee would be quite interesting. Players would definitely be motivated to finish their games on time. Making money playing CM (or running the events) would be...um....profitable. smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

Yeah, $20 for $900 sounds more attractive to me too. More people, less per person. Hmmmm.....

What type of tourney would be best for this type of thing? How many games? QBs or scenarios? How long would the event last? How would it be scored? Who would hold the entrance fees? This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to questions that would need to be answered.

If there's enough interest in this thread, I may just start thinking seriously about how to pull something like this off.

Treeburst155 out.

Treeburst155, I think it is imperative that TFC make some sort of remark here. Yes, there would be money for the tourney sponsors and winners. The point originally was to make it more user friendly to the casual players, probably 80% of the people that follow this forum.

Originally posted by wygal:

I'd like to see an alternative to ROW. Something more akin to the NCAA. A more casual "season," by that I mean maybe one player at a time. Perhaps with regional brackets or some other demographic criteria. Point is, I don't want to sink my regular CM opponents to committ so heavily to a ROW type tourney.

Couple of other points. I think BFC should have some kind of sponsorship or oversight. Also, ponying up $100 to enter is not that extreme. Consider how much time you spend on CM, time is money. I would envision this as sort of an annual tourney, maybe four month season and 3 month final. Of course with additional thought to CMX2 and other upgrades.

Thoughts?

Don't see it happening. BFC has bigger fish to fry than holding tournies for one. Second what redwolf said--casual players and no pressure equates to dropouts. And putting money on the table will make everyone bitch to high heaven.

A big part of the reason the ROW is so games intensive is to get a large enough sample in a short enough time. In any case, this two-round, rather intensive tourney, takes six months. Anything more casual will take a year or more.

WWB

Wygal,

Redwolf and WWB hit the nail on the head.

Redwolf,

The problems you speak of concerning money tournaments can be overcome before the fact with proper planning and execution. Developing a good set of rules to cover all contingencies would be the most difficult, time consuming part of organizing a pay tournament IMO.

RawRecruit,

I like your idea. The only problem is getting people to "show up" for their league games. In other words, the slowest players would be half a "season" behind. Now if players had to pay a little bit.....and there was a good chunk of cash for the winner.....

The rules would have to be brutal, and strictly adhered to, with no exceptions, in the case of a pay tournament.

Treeburst155 out.