The Cheery Waffle Thread and Other Natural Disasters: Film at Eleven

Snarker

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A strengthening series of earthquakes at Mount St. Helens have prompted seismologists to warn that the once-devastating volcano may see a small explosion soon.

The US Geological Survey issued a notice today of volcanic unrest in response to the swarm of hundreds of earthquakes that began on Thursday.

"The key issue is a small explosion without warning. That would be the major event that we're worried about right now," said Willie Scott, a geologist with the USGS office in Vancouver.

The quakes were tiny at first, but on Saturday and Sunday there were more than 10 temblors of magnitude 2.0 to 2.8, the most in a 24-hour period since the last dome-building eruption in October 1986, Scott said.

In the event of an explosion, Scott said the concern would be focused on the area within the crater and the flanks of the volcano. It's possible that an eight-kilometre area primarily north of the volcano could receive flows of mud and rock debris.

That portion of the mountain blew out during the 1980 eruption that left 57 people dead, devastating hundreds of square miles around the peak and spewing ash over much of the Northwest.

The quakes have occurred at depths less than one kilometre below the lava dome within the mountain's crater. Some of the earthquakes suggest the involvement of pressurised fluids, such as water or steam, and perhaps magma.

The cause and outcome of the swarm were uncertain this evening. A group of scientists planned to visit the mountain tomorrow to collect data.

That's a lot of potential Darwin Awards. :mad:

Originally posted by Axe2121:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />A strengthening series of earthquakes at Mount St. Helens have prompted seismologists to warn that the once-devastating volcano may see a small explosion soon.

The US Geological Survey issued a notice today of volcanic unrest in response to the swarm of hundreds of earthquakes that began on Thursday.

"The key issue is a small explosion without warning. That would be the major event that we're worried about right now," said Willie Scott, a geologist with the USGS office in Vancouver.

The quakes were tiny at first, but on Saturday and Sunday there were more than 10 temblors of magnitude 2.0 to 2.8, the most in a 24-hour period since the last dome-building eruption in October 1986, Scott said.

In the event of an explosion, Scott said the concern would be focused on the area within the crater and the flanks of the volcano. It's possible that an eight-kilometre area primarily north of the volcano could receive flows of mud and rock debris.

That portion of the mountain blew out during the 1980 eruption that left 57 people dead, devastating hundreds of square miles around the peak and spewing ash over much of the Northwest.

The quakes have occurred at depths less than one kilometre below the lava dome within the mountain's crater. Some of the earthquakes suggest the involvement of pressurised fluids, such as water or steam, and perhaps magma.

The cause and outcome of the swarm were uncertain this evening. A group of scientists planned to visit the mountain tomorrow to collect data.

That's a lot of potential Darwin Awards. :mad: </font>

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

Pfft, scientists, who needs 'em. Witless Cricket, you in on this one? tongue.gif :mad: :mad:

:mad: GARAGARGRAGARAGARAGRARGARG! :mad: I'm not a freakin' vulcanologist, I'm a biochemist/molecular biologist. I'm not that stoopid either. Probably the only other occupation more dangerous is Axe'sproctologist.

Mold all over what, or who?!! :eek: :eek:

It's good to see a thread of Cheery Wafflers again after that last debacle!

In updates:

Dave the Horrible has decided to give up climbing Mount Doom in our BDLRM rematch, and is going to throw his ring into a foxhole instead the wus!

Boo didly reckons he's pretty good at chucking hot lead in our 2000 pt QB in the rain and swamps of Northern italy, but he's about to find that HOT MOLTEN TNT works better!!

Axle grease and I are nearing the end of the 3rd battle in our operation at Maleme Airfield - so far my Bn strength counter attack down the slopes of Mt 107 hasn't met any opposition, so I'm wondering if he's actually there at all!!

And last, but least Wally the Blob is probing forwards in the first battle of 3 in an op in the desert - I forget teh name, but according to my briefing at this stage he's on a recce mission to see where I am & how strong I am. Sadly he's got nowhere near the MLR yet, but he shells are still falling thick and fast!! :D

Maybe now that any semi-observant residents of Florida have left for good, the peninsula can just sink back into the ocean where it belongs. Anyone still there after the last six weeks is just asking for the final plunge. You people really can't take a hint or four, can you? I mean you, Jim Boggs! :rolleyes:

All turns are out. Mike is mad because I decided to hold the gains I already have. My alternative is to bombard his dug-in infantry and guns with smoke and AP rounds. Hmmmm, what to do? Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Boo accused my men of swaggering into his defended town. Although they were really running for their lives, zigzagging from foxholes to craters, it must have looked pretty cheeky to him. Maybe he didn't appreciate my Shermans driving along the railroad tracks, shooting everything in sight. Call me Oddball, I guess. :D

Teddy's German tanks put up a strong resistance, but finally the more numerous Shermans prevailed. So they roll pass his brewed-up tanks and get hit with a hail of panzerschrecks! GRRRRRRR!! Who knew he had infantry dug in behind his tanks? Fortunately I had enough survivors to retreat and blast away, with gratifying results. :D

Watson & Crick is sitting back and watching my FO pulverize my reserves. I guess my guy never considered the rounds may be falling behind him, because they just kept coming. My poor dismounted tank destroyer crews took the brunt of the firing. Great, just what they needed after W&C's Panthers and Tiger were through with them. redface.gif

Snarker is hanging on to one VL like a rabid badger. He's got all of his infantry and tanks withing a hundred meters of the hanger. My exhausted British airborne troops are closing in. Will he be able to hold back the tide? Our game could end at any time. :D

I finally got my artillery close enough to use against Robohn. Our battle is almost over, but at least my Brits won't have to carry all of this TNT with them when they depart in shame. Those Italians have taken us to the woodshed and given us a thorough spanking! redface.gif

Wino must be stomping more grapes, because his turns are pretty widely spaced. Soddball has found something else to do, too. It may concern partying with stags or something even worse.

Hey those Churchills carry over 200 shots for their MG's too ya yellow bellied lilly livered wibblet!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

There he is with 3 or 4 Churchills, most of my AP shot having bouced off them already, vs a company commander, and he's afraid I might counter attack.......!!

Originally posted by Wallybob:

Liked the idea of Kitty nekkid spreadin' mold all over.

Originally posted by Mike:

Mold all over what, or who?!! :eek: :eek:

Me of course.

Sometimes those simple pagan religious ceremonies are often the best.

Mace

<font size=5 font color=green>Top of the Morning, Waffles!!</font>

I forgot to mention my BDLRM game with Mace. :eek: :eek: Never have I seen such a mass of jeeps! He's been hugging the western map edge with them, and now he's trying to cross the bridge to reach the northwest corner. My panzerschreck team covering the bridge managed to get off one shot, which missed, before the jeeps (all armed) put a few thousand rounds through the bodies. :eek: :eek: I've got a sinking feeling that it will be impossible to stop all of these jeeps. I really need his drivers to lose their nerve and refuse to cross open ground any more. Hmmm, think maybe a Panther would help them decide? :cool: :D

Mike, what could I have been thinking? Why of course my tanks will be glad to face off with all of your AT guns minus our main armament. I get to shoot machine guns four or five hundred meters at your dug-in guns, while you shoot back with guns capable of knocking out my tanks. What a great plan!! tongue.gif:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dave H:

I forgot to mention my BDLRM game with Mace. :eek: :eek: Never have I seen such a mass of jeeps! He's been hugging the western map edge with them

*sniff* What a beautiful display of gameiness. *sniff* Warms the heart, it does.

Originally posted by Dave H:

Mike, what could I have been thinking?

Nothing of course - it's what you think of mostly - nothing!!

Why of course my tanks will be glad to face off with all of your AT guns minus our main armament. I get to shoot machine guns four or five hundred meters at your dug-in guns, while you shoot back with guns capable of knocking out my tanks. What a great plan!! tongue.gif:rolleyes:

Your tanks never had HE for their main armament anyway, and my AT guns bounce or shatter their few remaining AP rounds 90% of the time already, and your MG's have already taken out one of them!! tongue.gif

and at least one of them is not dug in - I'm moving it to hunt your cowardly Churchills!! lol

Your tanks never had HE for their main armament anyway, and my AT guns bounce or shatter their few remaining AP rounds 90% of the time already, and your MG's have already taken out one of them!! tongue.gif

and at least one of them is not dug in - I'm moving it to hunt your cowardly Churchills!! lol

Stalin, I'm afraid that I must respectfully disagree with you. A few of my tanks did indeed have some HE. You may notice that many of my tanks are either not moving or not shooting. Indeed, far too many of them are neither moving nor shooting. You can credit your dozens of AT guns and mortars, your FW pilots, and your minefields for the decrepit condition of my armor. :mad: :mad:

If you feel the need to chase my tanks with your AT gun, then I may have to jump over to the Fiefdom forum and let the SYLs know that they are exactly correct about you. You're taking this battle way too seriously! :D:D

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Watson & Crick:

...I'm a biochemist/molecular biologist...

Quick, make me a half-monkey, half-man </font>

David, hunting Chrchills with 50mm AT guns is just a bit of fun - I expect you to go join SYL for a sulk now!! ;)

My good man, I certainly don't need those rank amateurs of the SYL to show me how to sulk. As my lovely wife Becky could tell you, I am a past master of sulking. On those occasions when I used to get my feelings hurt, I could put on a most wonderful sulk that would last for days. Unfortunately for my sulking skilz, Becky doesn't let me get away with it for very long any more, so I'm getting out of practice. ;):D:D

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Watson & Crick:

...I'm a biochemist/molecular biologist...

Quick, make me a half-monkey, half-man to supplement my workforce so that I don't have to pull 18-hour shifts. And make them smarter than Canadians....so you might want to adjust the ratio to less monkey. </font>