Slow TCP/IP play

Hi,

I had my first game using TCP/IP last night with a colleague. The battle we selected was "tiny" and only featured 12 units per side but we found the game almost unplayable due to pauses of 2/3minutes while the game transferred data.

As we regularly play IL2 and Nascar2003 together with very little lag problems I wondered are these pauses normal or are we doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Dusty

Hello Sergei,

Yes it was in the desert. Do you think we will have more success on non-desert terrain?

One of us has 512/256 broadband and the other has 56K dialup, does it make any difference which one of us hosts?

Thanks again,

Dusty

Yes, playing in Italy or with damp terrain or infantry only or something would make the files far smaller, probably less than 250KB.

A connection between the two of you is as slow either way, 56K. Or actually it probably would be faster if the broadband fellow was the one who processes the turns, because 56K modem I think can upload only at 32K or something like that. But you can't really affect this yourself, because CM automatically chooses the faster computer to process the turn regardless of who is the actual host.

The 56K is your problem.I have a 56k also,and find that I can only play small engagements(like less than 600-700 points).The less armor the better,the less trenches,craters,and apparently dust,the better.

Also,if you play infantry only battles,it will be alot faster.

Ps,

You play IL-2 on a 56k? :eek: I had no idea you could.