Mac G4 QS DP800mHz retired.. LONG LIVE G4 QS SP1.8Ghz!!!!

Hi lads , been along time since i poked around here but i have a happy tale to tell.

I have had my Mac G4 Quicksilver Dual 800mHz since August 2001. I bought it with the 64MB GeForce 3 video card ( which turned out to be not the best card for displaying CM in all its glory ). I replaced that with a Radeon 32MB card which could do all the things the GF card should have done and more. Next up came a Radeon 8500 card ( Mac Edition retail ) with 64MB VRAM for the increased needs of CMBB/CMAK. I am still using that card today.

One thing that bothered me over time was the slowish crunch time that my Mac suffered when playing nice big battles.... Jeff Weatherspoon... u and that damned Ponyri Express ;)

I am a hoarder of things and am very unlikely to ever take any of my CM games off my HDs as i still have plans for making mods.. but i also love OSX. The dilemma for me was no Apple support for CM in OSX.. so it was either keep my set up which is dual boot capable, upgrade it , buy a PC , or buy a new G5.

I was not keen on a PC as it would mean me forking out for a pc photoshop version, the G5s are nice machines but expensive and i would still be left with my "slow" DP800 to run CM.

So that left me with the upgrade route. After nearly a year and a half of trashing my brain cells ( any that i could round up ;) ) i jumped in and bought a Giga Designs 7A-1418U 1.8Ghz G4 upgrade card with the manufacturer stating that "Giga Designs does not test, warrant, or support third party software operation under OS 9."

I went for the single proc as CM does not support the second proc in Dual cards.. and the dual cards are nearly twice as dear as the singles. I paid OWC $381 which included shipping by FedEx for the card and it arrived in Dublin yesterday... and its up and running since then.

Well... after some fiddling about with the extensions folder of my OS9.2.2 HD i can state the following.

The Giga Designs 1.8Ghz G4 upgrade card works for me with no problems at all with the following.

Combat Mission Beyond Overlord

Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin

Combat Missioon Afrika Korps

End result is one very happy Måkjager with a shiny new cpu upgrade card that will keep him going for another 3-4 years smile.gif

I hope this is of some help to some other Lost Souls smile.gif

Best regards

Måkjager

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

Måkjager,

You make the best mods-Still have your

Hetzer,Jagpanzer IV-70,great mod,got it on both

CMBO,CMBB.

I fully agree - Måkjager is one of the mod gods smile.gif

....there is a rumor around saying he still owes a Chaffee mod.... :Dsmile.gif:D

Great to hear from you Måkjager ! smile.gif

Kind regards

Mr. Die Easy

Hi Måkjager

That's very good news indeed, thanks for posting. Apple's decision to go for Intel has left me high and dry with my next computer purchase, since I am no longer sure we will see CMx2 that will run on PowerPC OSX at this stage, and I am not ready to go back to PC again.

So I will probably do what you have done, and upgrade the graphics card and the processor in the old G4/400.

All the best

Andreas

Considering when CMX2 is likely to come out, lets hope BFC has made the game with the current OSX systems in mind. Just like with Rave for OS9, I bet the Macs will be messed again with BFC because of Apples inablity to stick with anything long term.