Bug: MG armed vehicles can't be dug in

Sergei

I encountered this problem while making a CMBB scenario where I wanted to have a T-26 M/31 dug in. But it just wouldn't, despite how I tried. Then I noticed that other AFV's armed only with MG's couldn't be dug in like those with bigger guns. The same problem exists in CMAK. You can dig in an ATR Carrier (what a ridiculous sight!), but not a Mark VIB. Filthy discrimination...

Not that this is likely to be addressed in any patch, but just doing my civic duty...

Originally posted by Sergei:

I encountered this problem while making a CMBB scenario where I wanted to have a T-26 M/31 dug in. But it just wouldn't, despite how I tried. Then I noticed that other AFV's armed only with MG's couldn't be dug in like those with bigger guns. The same problem exists in CMAK. You can dig in an ATR Carrier (what a ridiculous sight!), but not a Mark VIB. Filthy discrimination...

Not that this is likely to be addressed in any patch, but just doing my civic duty...

Now why would you want to dig in an MG-armed vehicle...

...why it brings back the heady days of rushing my MG-armed Kubelwagen hither and yon behind the hedgerows to keep the piles of advancing Amis at bay in "that other tactical simulator with Combat in its name"... IIRC, my best Kubelwagen squad racked up 230 kills give or take a few before meeting their demise at the hands of a Sherman...

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Now why would you want to dig in an MG-armed vehicle...

smile.gif Because in 1941 Soviets did have some old crappy MG armed tanks dug in. Well, I can simulate the same by having an ordinary tank with no main gun ammo... that T-26M31 just would have been nice.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone else tried this or had this problem?

I used some M15 MGMC and M16 MGMC. The M15 has a 37mm gun and the M16 only mgs. Jeeps, trucks, and the M16 won't show "dug in" in orders.

I am guessing it is because of a "hull down" issue from reading other threads. Only vehicles with a main gun can be hull down?

For the why? crowd, PBRs in Vietnam.

Sergei,

This is a problem tracing back, I believe, as far as CMBO. Personally, I believe it was a significant oversight which should and could have been corrected long since. An MG only tank or tankette when dug in makes a nasty, hard to hit pillbox--without a vulnerable firing slit! Dug-in vehicles should be able to reverse out of their positions, too. This is precisely what the Russians did at Kursk. At times, it's also handy to be able to dig in halftracks or even armed softskins. Any vehicle with a weapon on it should also be able to go hulldown without hand placement.

Pzman,

The M16 and M17 GMCs both have turrets, as does the twin turret T-26/M31.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ December 02, 2004, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]