What kind of stratigic level?

So, if we're going to get a Campaign/strategic level in CMX, then what type do we want? As I see it there are two types of campaign that could be used. they are:

a) A grand campaign, where you control troops fighting to complete objectives, such as the D-day landings or the battle of the bulge. you would fight battles over a map, switching from area to area over the wider battlefield.

B) a smaller campaign, following a smaller number of troops who get carried over from battle to battle, gaining experiance and taking casualties as the war progresses.

A has the advantages of being able to fight a large scale campain, controling the macro movements of units, then fighting out the battles in a normal CM style.

B on the other hand allows you to get to know the troops that you command, and makes any losses more involved. you are fighting to protect your men, rarther than going all out to win the battle.

B)

It'd be great to have A and B combined, but it could be too much for one player to deal with. At the very least it could take months to complete a campaign (something I quite enjoy, but I suspect many players don't). Of course if it supported multiple players then you could divide each area up for a grand multiplayer game. smile.gif Either way, there should be more to the strategic element than allocating units/leaders to attacks. I'd like to see some sort of supply and airforce management (if quite abstract) and maybe even dealing with the higher elements of command. I'd also like to see support for more than 2 players.

The tactical side of the game is near perfect so I think the time is ripe for a strategic element to be added.

I would prefer a combination of B and A. B in the sense of following the same unit (say, a battalion) from beginning of the A-style campaign to its end. It just reminds me of Band of Brothers (the HBO series, not the website smile.gif ). If that would happen, then I would really start to remember the names of those Squad leaders and etc, should be a whole lot of fun and really get you immersed (as if what there is now isn't enough smile.gif )

Now add this to being able to chose the side and then the type of battalion, kind of like in the QB screen (you know, Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe Airborne, etc. and it would be just perfect!

Just my enthusiastic 2c.

Definitely A. I'd like to be able to play historic operations at a scale larger and longer than that what is possible with an operation. Things like the Arnhem Offensive, Stalingrad, even the paratroop actions on D-Day would be absolutely fascinating with a thin strategic layer on top of it.

[ January 25, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Peterk ]

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Grey Hunter:

"Hi Mom" is not a campaign option. unless you want to put your mum in a tank and send her back in time.....

We're sending your mother in first. Our mothers don't want another endless discussion of the 10 percenters 'Campaign Option'. </font>

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Seanachai:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Grey Hunter:

"Hi Mom" is not a campaign option. unless you want to put your mum in a tank and send her back in time.....

We're sending your mother in first. Our mothers don't want another endless discussion of the 10 percenters 'Campaign Option'.

THAT would win the war.